First Race Improvers?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Re: First Race Improvers?

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 1 year ago I've probably had the opposite be true more often - "allowance" running horse will put up an eye-popping initial speed figure breaking its maiden, then never come close again (Christmas Mourning: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1262895 )
Hehe! First race decliners. (I have had those too).
It's like they go: "That was it. Not for me. Takecarebye!"
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Based on her gallop ratings, nothing exciting happened, but this filly definitely warmed up after her first race, and then also crashed hard later:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1251265

6th, 3 wins in a row, a 2nd, and then was like "I'm done". I did stick her in a boy's race by accident, which probably didn't help her confidence.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I probably have one of the best second race improvers of all time....Guinea Saurus Rex. Finished 7th in his MSW debut with a 53 speed figure. Next out won with an 81 speed figure. Went on to win over $2 million (at a time when that was a pretty big amount for a turf miler) including 2 Steward's Cup runner up performances. But the fact that I'm talking about a horse from year 36 should give you a feel for how common its been in my experience.

I breed between 40-50 horses/year and race them all. I can't think of any instances where I've had a solid/claimer galloper go on to be a stakes winner, much less in their second start show that type of talent. I definitely see horses improve with time fairly often but it usually takes a bit and its usually a one level improvement, so ok stakes horses can all of a sudden become super stars, allowance type horses start winning stakes, claimers move up to allowances, etc. I do sometimes see horses improve noticeably start 2 but I feel its most commonly a horse that seemed to underperform to their gallop in their first start. I did have one productive galloper I can think of become a stakes winner, Seven (coincidentally by Guinea Saurus Rex) but he actually ran quiet well first out and continued galloping productive while winning stakes and then with age started actually running like a productive galloper.

So based on my experiences I definitely think there is an argument to race all your horses, you can often earn more money in claimers than you can selling a subpar galloper and certainly lots of horses will show some level of improvement with time, but if you are racing all your horses expecting your claimers to one day become super stars you will be disappointed more often than not.

Diclaimer to all this, I don't race any routers which I get a feeling from things the steward has said in the past is where there is the most potential for improvement as they are not meant to be precocious horses.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

So I spot checked about fifty horses tonight making their second start. I found three who improved - one was so unfit it ran 9th so you can’t tell, one was second, and one won. All three jumped 1-2 levels.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 1 year ago
The Steward wrote: 1 year ago There are definitely more 2nd race jumpers than 1st race jumpers, but they do both exist.
Do you have any examples? Because I’ve literally never seen one, but I have seen lots of first start ones and even had some of those myself.
I'll have to use my brain, hopefully some others step in here. But there have definitely been some good ones, I used to write about them in the Edge all the time. I would say something like "Ran sixth first out, but that's okay, because then...."
Ah, the Edge…I really miss that…mmm…
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 1 year ago
The Steward wrote: 1 year ago
Carole Hanson wrote: 1 year ago

Do you have any examples? Because I’ve literally never seen one, but I have seen lots of first start ones and even had some of those myself.
I'll have to use my brain, hopefully some others step in here. But there have definitely been some good ones, I used to write about them in the Edge all the time. I would say something like "Ran sixth first out, but that's okay, because then...."
Me too...
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Sara Julin wrote: 1 year ago Me too...
Me three
Karazhan, Deshaan
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 1 year ago
Same
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Bring back "The Edge" woot woot
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Edge!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Y'all are really free with my time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

The Steward wrote: 1 year ago Y'all are really free with my time.
Maybe a once in a while edition, whenever it works for you, would be nice?

Maybe a ghost writer?
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I didn't mean to put any pressure on you. I just like your writing. I know it can't be fit into your life right now. : )
Karazhan, Deshaan
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Gwayne's World wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe a ghost writer?
I vote Vincent as the ghost :3
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Sara Julin wrote: 1 year ago
Gwayne's World wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe a ghost writer?
I vote Vincent as the ghost :3
Vincent Vincent Vincent
I need supervision 24/7. :roll: