Can we open gallops early?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Can we open gallops early?

Post by Andrew Chillin »

It do. You’re not wrong
;p
Brian Leavitt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brian Leavitt »

Em just said in chat that the races opening are based on how many hours there are until the first results.

And since there's one less hour than normal until the first results, then there should be one less hour until races opening and gallops.

In other words EARLY GALLOPS ARE REAL (by one hour)
I have a stable full of cats
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Brian Leavitt wrote: 1 year ago Em just said in chat that the races opening are based on how many hours there are until the first results.

And since there's one less hour than normal until the first results, then there should be one less hour until races opening and gallops.

The calendar says the normal time, however. I'm not sure how it counts the spring forward hour - it may just count the normal time until spring forward actually occurs, rather than factoring it in before it happens. It'll be one of the two, but it may not be the earlier of the two options.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Autumn Blackmill wrote: 1 year ago My newest foals are mere hours old, but they are ready to stretch their legs on the track.
This reminds me of a line from a book on TB racing I read as a teen that explained that sometimes breeders will try to maximize the months their foals are alive before they turn 2. Sometimes they cut things too close and a foal will be born late December instead of in January. The book had some line like "This horse will now be counted as a yearling even though it can barely stand on its wobbly legs".

:D
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 1 year ago
Brian Leavitt wrote: 1 year ago Em just said in chat that the races opening are based on how many hours there are until the first results.

The calendar says the normal time, however. I'm not sure how it counts the spring forward hour - it may just count the normal time until spring forward actually occurs, rather than factoring it in before it happens. It'll be one of the two, but it may not be the earlier of the two options.
We THINK it's going to be the early one... we're like PRETTY sure but not 100% sure
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Lol trying to predict the sim is like playing plinko
;p
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Not to 💩 on this thread, but as was said earlier, Festivus is tonight/Saturday morning. Time change is Saturday night/Sunday morning.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Eric Gray wrote: 1 year ago Not to 💩 on this thread, but as was said earlier, Festivus is tonight/Saturday morning. Time change is Saturday night/Sunday morning.
The whole thing works by counting back number of hours from races opening or running for the first time during the year - so it does bother the regular opening time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Oh, got ya
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Less poop more cats and faking cats
;p
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Well I hope it’s normal time , but if it’s an hour early I guess I have no choice but to deal with it .. I’ll try to get everything I do normally done by 3am E.T. back to 2am just in case
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Gwen Morse wrote: 1 year ago
Autumn Blackmill wrote: 1 year ago My newest foals are mere hours old, but they are ready to stretch their legs on the track.
This reminds me of a line from a book on TB racing I read as a teen that explained that sometimes breeders will try to maximize the months their foals are alive before they turn 2. Sometimes they cut things too close and a foal will be born late December instead of in January. The book had some line like "This horse will now be counted as a yearling even though it can barely stand on its wobbly legs".

Yes! I remember back when I was a kid I got the Bloodhorse magazines, and this really fancy mare had just sold in foal for millions... and then she foaled right before new years, so the baby was technically 1yo just a week or so after being born. I can't imagine being the new owners and having that happen!

*edit: I found the mare. It was Magical Romance who went for 4.6 million, then popped a couple weeks too soon:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ture-foals
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Autumn Blackmill wrote: 1 year ago
Gwen Morse wrote: 1 year ago

Yes! I remember back when I was a kid I got the Bloodhorse magazines, and this really fancy mare had just sold in foal for millions... and then she foaled right before new years, so the baby was technically 1yo just a week or so after being born. I can't imagine being the new owners and having that happen!

*edit: I found the mare. It was Magical Romance who went for 4.6 million, then popped a couple weeks too soon:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ture-foals
There was also a mare called "Alittlebitearly" who was herself born in December. :lol:
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Michael Looker
Classic Contender

Post by Michael Looker »

Gwen Morse wrote: 1 year ago This reminds me of a line from a book on TB racing I read as a teen that explained that sometimes breeders will try to maximize the months their foals are alive before they turn 2. Sometimes they cut things too close and a foal will be born late December instead of in January. The book had some line like "This horse will now be counted as a yearling even though it can barely stand on its wobbly legs".

The trick is to hide your mare and her Christmas foal in a back paddock behind a hedge so no-one can see them. Then on New Years' Day you can bring them in and try to convince everyone that the 8-day-old foal was really only born this morning.

The rules have changed for this in Australia/NZ. As long as the mating happened on or after September 1, the foal doesn't become a yearling until August 1 two years later, even if it's born in late July. (August 1 is the "Horses' Birthday" in the southern hemisphere.)