Farms

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Farms

Post by Gavin Guile »

True Nicole, I just meant it’s no fun checking to see where horses go to actively try and avoid these farms..defeats the purpose of auto ship for me, just putting my thoughts on the matter out there
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

While changing farm rules how about you can't build a farm within 10 miles of an existing farm, so you no longer have to worry about someone coming along and building a farm that one mile closer to the track taking all your boarders.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

so if I had an option, I would just set it to ship to closest farm that is $20, but no, I have to hit a couple of buttons to avoid paying the same.. oh what fun. After all its about game play, so people who like to exploit the "closest farm" setting want a legal way to rob you and make the game less fun. Great. Sounds like a brilliant strategy to get people to waste more time on a tedious activity. What could be more fun than that? We don't have enough barn dispersals, so lets get the less aware nicked more just enough so brilliant strategizers figure a way to rip them off and make it easier to live with their decision to leave.. Makes for more interesting auctions.. woohoo.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Gavin Guile wrote: 10 months ago What’s the point of having different prices..I don’t care about it being fair..I just don’t get the point of different prices if there’s no difference in what the farm offers
Let's just call it what it is...it's a money grab. It's the farm owner trying to catch people slipping and not realize they are paying $200. That's why until the notices of farm fee raises came about they did it during the middle of the night. It very much gives sleazy used car salesman vibes doesn't it?
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

The farms at this point should be game run, people who own farms don't do anything but buy it and then try to make some money passively but there is nothing strategical other than trying to make yours closest to the track. Its getting silly, let the game take it over and be done with it. There's nothing gained by one farm over another, there's not much here of interest and does nothing for game play.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Art K Stables wrote: 10 months ago The farms at this point should be game run, people who own farms don't do anything but buy it and then try to make some money passively but there is nothing strategical other than trying to make yours closest to the track. Its getting silly, let the game take it over and be done with it. There's nothing gained by one farm over another, there's not much here of interest and does nothing for game play.
I only disagree with the point of “nothing strategical”. Owning a farm is the best way to save money for larger operations. Spend the millions once and save all the ever growing cost of board.
;p
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I enjoy having my own farm. It is not the closest to any track and doesn't make money, but I love having it for my own horses and pensioners. To me it is part of the fun of the game. I see no problem with making them all $20 per day barns, and The Steward could keep hers at $200.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Everyone can see who charges what. When I feel like someone is unsportsmanlike I just don't use their farms, but also don't use their stallions or bid in their auctions or support them in any other way. Not many people here are like that and there are always plenty of decent players to do business with. Sooner or later these people are going to want something, a stallion slot or something else, and they may be surprised.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Art K Stables wrote: 10 months ago The farms at this point should be game run, people who own farms don't do anything but buy it and then try to make some money passively but there is nothing strategical other than trying to make yours closest to the track. Its getting silly, let the game take it over and be done with it. There's nothing gained by one farm over another, there's not much here of interest and does nothing for game play.
I have 3 farms and about 600 borders between them, with farm expenses every 4 weeks I usually don't break even (minus the lack of board I pay for my own horses) and I imagine the majority of farm owners are the same.

For me it is the satisfaction of having my mares, yearlings, foals and pensioners at my own farm (that I could never afford in real life) I particularly enjoy the messages about my formerly useless horses being good lesson horses.

Truthfully I consider having my own farm as one of my most satisfying achievements in the game.
Race With Lions (TM)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid) - leased out this year

NEW in Y66:
Nigerian Prince
(TS)
The Womble (TR)
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Mr. Lord Chillin wrote: 10 months ago
I only disagree with the point of “nothing strategical”. Owning a farm is the best way to save money for larger operations. Spend the millions once and save all the ever growing cost of board.
I have zero problem with that. Even if the minimum were set to 30 but uniform and fixed I would agree to that if it helps out the "farmers" instead of the silliness of arbitrary prices.. If it were to start over I think the game would have been smarter to offer farms at varying prices depending on the distance to the track and the fees that would be charged more as its closer to the track as well, but only if it were fixed and uniform. Then it could have been a bit more interesting, but I think it would be close to impossible to implement that now without causing too much unneededd controversy
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I think I would quit if my farm was taken over by the game. I paid just under $2 million for my farm, as it was already built. But, I paid GPs for the amenities...and I think it's like $80,000 a Sim year to own it. How do you compensate owners for that, if you just decided to let the game snatch it and not even let an owner decide how much rent they want to put on the farm they paid for?

My farm and most farms are not the 'closest to the track' so it's not like most of us are out there make money from that.
I wanted a farm to stash all my horses, since I don't give them to AJ, nor sell them.

There are other ways to fix the auto ship that sends horses to $200 dollar farms...as some said, there might be a way for an owner to set a farm price maximum/closest to the track setting in auto ship.

This 'set it and forget it' mindset in the Sim, is frustrating to me.... just pay attention to your horses a little, and the game a little and if you can't, maybe it's time to scale back your operation? I don't use the auto ship, but I do like that when my results come up I can see the nearest track and the price... I ship first those I might want to go to a certain farm, then mass click the rest and hit ship. I take care of another stable for a friend here, and she has put her horses on autoship, but only to her stable.

Again, there are ways to bypass the $200 farms, other than 'socialization' of the Sim and taking away more and more of our controls over our own stables.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Stormy Peak wrote: 10 months ago I think I would quit if my farm was taken over by the game. I paid just under $2 million for my farm, as it was already built. But, I paid GPs for the amenities...and I think it's like $80,000 a Sim year to own it. How do you compensate owners for that, if you just decided to let the game snatch it and not even let an owner decide how much rent they want to put on the farm they paid for?

My farm and most farms are not the 'closest to the track' so it's not like most of us are out there make money from that.
I wanted a farm to stash all my horses, since I don't give them to AJ, nor sell them.

There are other ways to fix the auto ship that sends horses to $200 dollar farms...as some said, there might be a way for an owner to set a farm price maximum/closest to the track setting in auto ship.

This 'set it and forget it' mindset in the Sim, is frustrating to me.... just pay attention to your horses a little, and the game a little and if you can't, maybe it's time to scale back your operation? I don't use the auto ship, but I do like that when my results come up I can see the nearest track and the price... I ship first those I might want to go to a certain farm, then mass click the rest and hit ship. I take care of another stable for a friend here, and she has put her horses on autoship, but only to her stable.

Again, there are ways to bypass the $200 farms, other than 'socialization' of the Sim and taking away more and more of our controls over our own stables.

Stormy
I wouldn't say just take the farms away, that would be completely unfair and never had that in mind. Compensation would have to occur, but I think that's not going to happen anyway.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Stormy Peak wrote: 10 months ago I don't use the auto ship, but I do like that when my results come up I can see the nearest track and the price...
Well if you don’t use auto ship then the issue at hand doesn’t impact you…which is why it’s probably tough to see the complaint that these $200 farms defeat auto ships purpose… implementing an option to ship to nearest $20 farm wouldn’t impact you, or your gameplay, and would help all the other trainers that utilize the auto ship function that don’t own their own farms etc.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Gavin Guile wrote: 10 months ago
Stormy Peak wrote: 10 months ago I don't use the auto ship, but I do like that when my results come up I can see the nearest track and the price...
Well if you don’t use auto ship then the issue at hand doesn’t impact you…which is why it’s probably tough to see the complaint that these $200 farms defeat auto ships purpose… implementing an option to ship to nearest $20 farm wouldn’t impact you, or your gameplay, and would help all the other trainers that utilize the auto ship function that don’t own their own farms etc.
NO... It's Not Tough for me to see how $200 farms springing up close to the track would impact some players. I have been playing this game for 16 years...I understand nuances in this game as well as the big fat situation being talked about here for the past 3 pages.

And surprise, surprise, I understood it even before this thread was put up. I up a few occasions, when in a hurry, and not paying attention, shipped a horse or two, to that $200 farm, The Fairgrounds, as it was nearest to the track. I paid the $200 fee, and at that point, I actually thought...good thing I wasn't using auto ship and sent 7 or 8 horses there. So yes, I get it, it's not tough to understand. And even without auto ship a person can land a horse on an expensive farm.

If you had read what I wrote, you would have noted that I'm against making everyone price their farms at $20, or having the game take over our farms and not let us do even modest price increases if we wish, or even price them at $200 for whatever the reason behind it for the farms we paid for.

I did say that an option for closest farm at lowest price for auto shipping was a better option.

I know I sound snarky, but I get frustrated when people suggest that I don't 'get something' when I've obviously been reading and responding in a thread and have played this game for 16 years. I also tried out the auto ship when it first appeared and decided I liked to pay a bit more attention to my horses as they come off the track...maybe see if one needed to be retired and ship it to my farm, rather than let is auto ship to another farm first.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Stormy Peak wrote: 10 months ago
Gavin Guile wrote: 10 months ago
NO... It's Not Tough for me to see how $200 farms springing up close to the track would impact some players. I have been playing this game for 16 years...I understand nuances in this game as well as the big fat situation being talked about here for the past 3 pages.

And surprise, surprise, I understood it even before this thread was put up. I up a few occasions, when in a hurry, and not paying attention, shipped a horse or two, to that $200 farm, The Fairgrounds, as it was nearest to the track. I paid the $200 fee, and at that point, I actually thought...good thing I wasn't using auto ship and sent 7 or 8 horses there. So yes, I get it, it's not tough to understand. And even without auto ship a person can land a horse on an expensive farm.

If you had read what I wrote, you would have noted that I'm against making everyone price their farms at $20, or having the game take over our farms and not let us do even modest price increases if we wish, or even price them at $200 for whatever the reason behind it for the farms we paid for.

I did say that an option for closest farm at lowest price for auto shipping was a better option.

I know I sound snarky, but I get frustrated when people suggest that I don't 'get something' when I've obviously been reading and responding in a thread and have played this game for 16 years. I also tried out the auto ship when it first appeared and decided I liked to pay a bit more attention to my horses as they come off the track...maybe see if one needed to be retired and ship it to my farm, rather than let is auto ship to another farm first.

Stormy
Cool
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)