Desired TR/DR Race Length

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Desired TR/DR Race Length

Post by Gavin Guile »

Okay, so one of the aspects of the game I struggle with completely is figuring out a horses desired race distance…based on nothing but my own experience, it appears to be more of an issue with routers than sprinters….I feel sprinters will still run to their gallop ability most of the time even if a horse prefers 7 furlongs to 6 (again this may be wrong, but in my experience with stakes/freak DS gallops, I don’t really pay attention to the distance other than it being a sprint - and the horse runs pretty much as I expect)

In routing, this seems to be weighted more in regards to how a horse will run. For instance, I have/had 4 freak routers that are 3 years old. Secret Oath, Connor, Hollywood Dreams, Midnight Rendezvous.. I don’t know what anyone wants to run, Hollywood Dreams is doing well but the rest not so much..I now know Connor like longer based on Stewards comments so trying to find him spots of 1 1/2 miles or more..but my question is how do people figure this out? Trial and error? Looking at Sped factors of horses in their pedigree (when I do this I cannot determine anything since usually there are high and low SF across multiple furlongs)..any advice on determining this out is appreciated and would help other trainers besides myself.

Trying to figure this all out so I don’t mess up with Master of Deception next year. No idea if he would prefer short or longer routes (or what even qualifies as short or longer routes…is 1 1/4 miles a short route?). Anyway, thanks for any and all feedback on how people determine what length their horses like to run.

I retired midnight Rendezvous since she did poorly across three different distances, not sure how she was a freak and I spent a ton on her in auction lease, hopefully she can produce as a mare since she was a sad freak, hoping to avoid this again somehow (don’t get how she finished so poorly in those races against horses with much worse workout times)
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: Desired TR/DR Race Length

Post by Cleo Patra »

I still don’t know the answer to this. Been trying to figure it out for like 10 years 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

What I largely base mine on is I look at their sire and dam/damsire and see what distance they won the most frequently at - Master of Deception's lineage seems to imply that the more track he has, the better, but I know they don't always run to their pedigree. And then if you have a horse whose sire won mostly at 1 1/2 or more but the dam side liked 1 1/6th best, then I'd wonder if the horse is going to be so-so at short routes and marathons rather than good at one or both. But then I'd also look, in that example, at if the dam side even attempted longer routes because if not, then the potential for it could be there and it was just never given the opportunity.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Gavin Guile wrote: 10 months ago Okay, so one of the aspects of the game I struggle with completely is figuring out a horses desired race distance…based on nothing but my own experience, it appears to be more of an issue with routers than sprinters….I feel sprinters will still run to their gallop ability most of the time even if a horse prefers 7 furlongs to 6 (again this may be wrong, but in my experience with stakes/freak DS gallops, I don’t really pay attention to the distance other than it being a sprint - and the horse runs pretty much as I expect)

In routing, this seems to be weighted more in regards to how a horse will run. For instance, I have/had 4 freak routers that are 3 years old. Secret Oath, Connor, Hollywood Dreams, Midnight Rendezvous.. I don’t know what anyone wants to run, Hollywood Dreams is doing well but the rest not so much..I now know Connor like longer based on Stewards comments so trying to find him spots of 1 1/2 miles or more..but my question is how do people figure this out? Trial and error? Looking at Sped factors of horses in their pedigree (when I do this I cannot determine anything since usually there are high and low SF across multiple furlongs)..any advice on determining this out is appreciated and would help other trainers besides myself.

Trying to figure this all out so I don’t mess up with Master of Deception next year. No idea if he would prefer short or longer routes (or what even qualifies as short or longer routes…is 1 1/4 miles a short route?). Anyway, thanks for any and all feedback on how people determine what length their horses like to run.

I retired midnight Rendezvous since she did poorly across three different distances, not sure how she was a freak and I spent a ton on her in auction lease, hopefully she can produce as a mare since she was a sad freak, hoping to avoid this again somehow (don’t get how she finished so poorly in those races against horses with much worse workout times)
I used to play another game where the splits for the workouts were provided. That helped a bit. We don't have splits here, but I wonder if there are clues in relative improvements at longer work distances?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Many years ago The Steward confirmed that faster works at longer distances do not give any indication of how good that horse will be at going longer. Your best guess is pedigree and trial and error as it stands right now.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Tim Matthews wrote: 3 years ago A wise imbecile once said “distance is fake.” I think he was on the right track.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

If your horse wins the Louisville Derby, it is most definitely a runner that can handle the distance!

If it loses in the Derby, it doesn't necessarily mean it can't win at ten furlongs?

I'm not the imbecile Tim was referring to but then again I could be wrong :?
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

That dude was on like a podcast or something
;p
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

That would be Dylan Christensen?

That podcast with Nini was fun :)
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Gwayne's World wrote: 10 months ago That would be Dylan Christensen?

That podcast with Nini was fun :)
It was Tim but yes dylan and nini and Mara were great
;p
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'm with Cleo. Thought I had a good handle on it a few seasons back, but turns out I'm still hopeless. Been here since year 17.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Hit and miss, sometimes interesting, sometimes frustrating. 🤪
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Cool, thanks for all the insight, glad I’m not the only helpless one trying to figure this out
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Remember when The Tearjerker almost exclusively ran 1 1/4 or shorter and his rare 1 1/2 races were kind of mediocre so I figured he was a nice chunk of speed for my mares and then the steward put him on her short list of top marathoner studs

All my success in this game is 100% dumb luck against the overwhelming handicap I am against myself
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Shannon Hunt wrote: 10 months ago Remember when The Tearjerker almost exclusively ran 1 1/4 or shorter and his rare 1 1/2 races were kind of mediocre so I figured he was a nice chunk of speed for my mares and then the steward put him on her short list of top marathoner studs

All my success in this game is 100% dumb luck against the overwhelming handicap I am against myself
Lol, you are not alone!