Frustrated with Steward Bred

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Frustrated with Steward Bred

Post by Tammy Fox »

Here is my guy
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1599032

He is a stakes-peak that runs like a claimer and he is is brave as far as heart. His equipment is spot on. He is on the right surface, distance I am thinking he is at should be good for him, he is fit.

My guess is he is simply tired from traveling but I want others to see what they can see and tell me what distance you think he would run better at. I do use first class travel, only keep him at the farms that give the best rest, he has a companion animal to help him rest.

He is a longer career so if gelding would help then I am fine with it. He has already earned his purchase price back with what he has won. I am thinking barrier trial after I let him run this next stakes race that I created for him, if he doesn't improve in speed and hopefully win. Oh and the jockey isn't one I can depend on in a photo finish but he isn't a sack of potatoes either. I think he rates on the better end of jockeys, not one that is top but one that has his horses run well and can get in the money.

So I am looking for any suggestions to what I can do to improve his speed figure since he prefers to plod along like a mule plowing a field. I still think the traveling has made him tired and he just has not recovered yet but outside of that I am looking at any other possible causes because there has to be something else I am missing. Even when he took a 3 week break he came back still plodding.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Frustrated with Steward Bred

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I feel like you are short-changing him rest. Specifically, he gets shipped to a farm within 24 hours of racing, which is good!, but then you ship him to the next race really far out from the actual race date. So, as a 2yo, he was getting maybe a week, just a hair over, of actual rest at a farm (ie., ship Week X Friday, ship to the next race Week X+1 Sunday, so 8-9 days' of rest), with the balance at the track, where no rest is occurring. Now, it is ship Week X Friday, ship to the next race Week X+2 Monday. If you look at most top horses, they aren't shipping until Week X+2 Thursday, sometimes Wednesday. That's two to three days of extra rest you are giving to the competition, and when you are running every two weeks, you want to be erring on the side of maximizing time at the farm.

I can't tell if his best distance is 1 1/8 miles, or if he would want longer, but fatigue is masking that. If he were mine, I probably wouldn't run him again until Week 14 - either Monday or Friday - but the sponsored race is restricted, and if you waited until Thursday to ship him, it might be okay. But if you do that, I'd rule out another race until Week 1.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Thanks Laura. So you are saying ship them out two days prior to their scheduled race as opposed to 4 days prior?
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I ship to arrive one day before post time; other players ship to arrive two days before post time. I'd switch to one of those options, rather than 4 days' prior.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

To piggy back on what Laura said: 1 day ship with first class is all you need. With first class they don’t have to recover from the ship
;p
Cheri Stewart
Two Year Old

Post by Cheri Stewart »

Where is the first class shipping option? I've not heard of this and I'm not finding it as an option anywhere
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Cheri Stewart wrote: 9 months ago Where is the first class shipping option? I've not heard of this and I'm not finding it as an option anywhere
Go to profile>settings and passwords>
;p
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

This setting isn’t available until junior player status
;p
Cheri Stewart
Two Year Old

Post by Cheri Stewart »

Lorrrrrd.... that is so cool! Thank you!