Horse Ability

Here you will find rules, instructions and documentation about playing SIMHorseRacing.com
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Horse Ability

Post by The Steward »

In determining the results of a horse, horse ability is the most important indicator. Even if a horse is completely fit, perfectly rested, and has been training regularly, if it is a slow horse it will not beat a very fast horse (similarly, I can train every day of my life and still never be as good as Usain Bolt, because my sheer ability has defined limits).

Every horse is born with a basic number at each racing distance, derived from 3 generations of its parents and a "random slide" which means it can be better or worse than its parents. Those basic numbers at the distance and surface get added into the results algorithm along with jockey's ability, fitness, track condition, post position, confidence, etc, and once racing luck (stumbling at the gate, going wide, etc) is added in, you get the race result.

How to Determine Your Horse's Ability
There are several ways to determine your horse's sheer talent at any one time. Galloping a horse to fitness then gets you a comment that determines what "level" your horse is most likely to succeed in, from claimers to stakes. As horses grow and mature, however, the gallop comment can be misleading or even change, depending on if the horse is a late bloomer. Workout times are a better way to assess the sheer speed of your horse, and whether it can compete with other horses in the level you wish to enter the horse. Sire and dam play a huge role in the precocity, speed, and overall talent of the horse - a bad sire and/or dam is more likely to end up with a bad horse.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG