First time All Weather

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

First time All Weather

Post by Greg Czechowicz »

If my horse never ran all weather is it a bad idea to enter him in a race?
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Re: First time All Weather

Post by Garret Folsom »

If he has All Weather ability, it shouldn't matter if he hasn't run on the surface before.

Do you have a link or name for the horse?
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

Also should I be doing these?

Pay Attention To This Horse options, like petting horse

and do they cost anything?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

This one is a dirt router (likes to run on dirt at long distances, so 1 1/16 miles+).

As a new player, the best way to judge what surface and distance your horse likes to race at, is to look at the sire and dam (and maybe even grand sire and grand dam) and see where they performed best. Here’s a break down of all thoroughbred surfaces and distances (this is only to do with race distances and not workout distances, those are different)

All weather/Turf/Dirt Sprint: 2 furlongs-7 furlongs
All weather/Turf/Dirt Mile: 1 mile only
All weather/Turf/Dirt Router: 1 1/16 miles-2 miles

Most horses in the game will only like to race on one surface and within one distance range. For example, I have a lot of turf routers in my stable, so they race only on the turf at distances ranging from 1 1/16 miles-2 miles. I could try them at different distances or surfaces if I wanted to, but the likelihood is that they will run very poorly. In this game, pedigree is everything. So if you have a Dirt Route sire, and a Dirt Route dam, you will get a dirt route foal. But if you have a dirt route sire, with a turf Route dam, that foal will be very confused and will end up being bad in both categories.

As for those actions like bathe your horse or pet your horse, they don’t do anything. They’re just fun buttons to press but you don’t need to actually press them.

I hope that helps a bit. I strongly suggest you read through the help section (you can find this right under the ‘Manage’ drop down menu and in between the ‘SIM Store’ and ‘Contact Us’ links). But if you have any questions feel free to reach out here on in the game!
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

if my race is going off in 6 hours can I scratch the horse?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Unfortunately not, you have to scratch at least 24 hours before the race goes off, that's when entries close. So in this case, the filly will run in the race and you'll just have to wait until next year to race her in her preferred category.

(There are 16 weeks in a SIM year, so we have just under 2 weeks left of year 57 now. Then we will have a 2 week break before the new year starts and we go back to week 1. Horses at most can race every 2 weeks, for example this filly will be ready to race again week 2 day 4 and anytime after that. Note that it's recommended to race either every 2 or 3 weeks, a gap longer than 3 weeks might make the horse unfit and it won't run as well as it could. A gap smaller than 2 weeks is not only going to make the horse too tired, but it also might get injured and injuries cost a lot of money. Also, horses don't rest during the break, so think of it as going week 16 straight to week 1, even though in real life there's a 2 week break in between. That's why she won't be ready to race after tonight's run, until week 2 of next season. I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense, let me know if I can make it any clearer).
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

You can pet the horse or feed it or whatever. The official story is that it does nothing. It's free.