Where to start with AW (or mixers)?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Where to start with AW (or mixers)?

Post by Ma Springs »

Hi AW (and maybe mixer) people!

I'm thinking about getting into AW and/or mixers as a small "side project" to my TB dirt/turf. I've had a few including some harness types but I haven't really gotten invested and they have mostly annoyed me (probably because they have been claimer type geldings without any future).

There are some mare auctions up now and I might try to pick up one or two...

But what type should I start out with? I'm thinking AW sprint or mile (is the router division almost as tough as in dirt/turf?) or some of the mixers, but I know so little about this!

What is fun and relatively easy to begin with?

Thank you for any enlightment! 😊
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Gen Ravenwood
Miler

Re: Where to start with AW (or mixers)?

Post by Gen Ravenwood »

My experience with my few AW routers is that they are hard to breed, but I like them anyway.

Mixers are fun! I run everything except the Standardbreds. There are pros and cons to each division, you could start with whatever matches your style or catches your fancy. Instead of me writing a novel here feel free to PM me if you have any mixer questions, I'll help if I can!
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

honestly AWS is hard to crack you need a ton of them to do anything i would recommend AWM breed to top sires becuase they are so much better then the rest of the group. check claiming races for nice fillies and try to breed some forms with top calibre sires and dam sires. Look for know how to knock mile after mile Snowflake DR Ghazi these are name you like to see in pedigree the more the better
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Joseph Depaulo wrote: 3 years ago honestly AWS is hard to crack you need a ton of them to do anything i would recommend AWM breed to top sires becuase they are so much better then the rest of the group. check claiming races for nice fillies and try to breed some forms with top calibre sires and dam sires. Look for know how to knock mile after mile Snowflake DR Ghazi these are name you like to see in pedigree the more the better
I can’t speak to the other two but in my experience AWS has been pretty easy to crack. I started really trying in the division year 54 and would say that I already have a good amount of top horses considering I was a contender in every SC race this year and won 3 of the divisions few Grade 1s. Maybe I got lucky but I really do think it’s a pretty easy place to start based on what I’ve seen a few others do.

However, the purses are the worst of the bunch so it isn’t super great for money making.
yeah
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I would say that the easiest one to crack is the one that you get a good mare in first. I never got a AW Miler, had a few good Sprinters, but never really got too far with them.

I have two AW Routers that will be retiring tomorrow night, if you want to give Routing a try, I'll give you free leases for them both, assuming they are worth breeding (I think they will be, one's an Allowance galloper, the other a Stakes galloper).

I've always helped people out when they are getting started in routing if they want it.
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

I’m doing the same Maria, AW are interesting to me. Garret has helped me out with some router mares this year to help boost my numbers. Good luck!
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago
Joseph Depaulo wrote: 3 years ago honestly AWS is hard to crack you need a ton of them to do anything i would recommend AWM breed to top sires becuase they are so much better then the rest of the group. check claiming races for nice fillies and try to breed some forms with top calibre sires and dam sires. Look for know how to knock mile after mile Snowflake DR Ghazi these are name you like to see in pedigree the more the better
I can’t speak to the other two but in my experience AWS has been pretty easy to crack. I started really trying in the division year 54 and would say that I already have a good amount of top horses considering I was a contender in every SC race this year and won 3 of the divisions few Grade 1s. Maybe I got lucky but I really do think it’s a pretty easy place to start based on what I’ve seen a few others do.

However, the purses are the worst of the bunch so it isn’t super great for money making.
i find that AWS mare are very inconsistent and that they throw good horses few and far between where Awm has stronger sire and female lines making mares more predictable and better but hey who really knows.
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

Thank you all for interesting comments (and thanks again for any encouragement via PM!)! Starting to have things sorted for a small AW move.
Gen Ravenwood wrote: 3 years ago Mixers are fun! I run everything except the Standardbreds. There are pros and cons to each division, you could start with whatever matches your style or catches your fancy. Instead of me writing a novel here feel free to PM me if you have any mixer questions, I'll help if I can!
Gen - Congrats to the SC win! Lovely filly! PM is coming. I wouldn't mind a mixer novel. 🙂
Garret Folsom wrote: 3 years ago I have two AW Routers that will be retiring tomorrow night, if you want to give Routing a try, I'll give you free leases for them both, assuming they are worth breeding
Thank you, I would love to! Can't wait to get in on your AW Route win list! 🤗
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500