Focusing on AW?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gabrielle Mackenzie
Two Year Old

Focusing on AW?

Post by Gabrielle Mackenzie »

I've recently realized that I only get excited about my All Weather racers. I like all of the AW distances but really don't have much of a care for the other surfaces or mixers. Now I've heard that AW doesn't pay as much as the other surfaces do, but aside from also running my big filler barn for both the income and the entertainment, is AW really viable as a focus? Will I find myself bankrupt in the long run if I don't break into Turf/Dirt? Am I missing out on some magical division by not looking at turf or dirt racing?

On a side note: Thank you to everyone who has let me take their AW racers out for a spin! I'm very happy with the experience so far. (PS if anyone else has some fun AW racers they might let me buy/lease let me know!)
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Re: Focusing on AW?

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I've been an AW focused barn since... Oof, like Y22/Y23 or thenabouts? So yeah, it's definitely possible. Compared to 30, 20 even 10 years ago the division has VASTLY improved in terms of number of races, purse totals, available tracks, etc. Yet it's much simpler than dirt/turf and I prefer that; it's easier to manage my barn. TBH I think you're more likely to go bankrupt if you're looking to break into dirt/turf from scratch. It's much more competitive; you don't get as far with the same quality dirt/turf horse that you would with an AW horse.

The same rules apply for AW that apply for any successful barn: cull the bad runners, keep the best mares, don't go hog wild on the expensive sires to save breeding costs, etc. Just keep your income higher than your expenses. ;)
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I have more than just AW, but they are my main focus. I have only Routers (Dirt, Turf and AW), other than a few milers, but it's been a challenge to break into the Dirt and Turf ranks.

My main source of income is definitely AW Routers. I think it's viable to earn money with them, the stud fees are generally lower than the other divisions with a few exceptions.
Nicholas Johnson
Miler

Post by Nicholas Johnson »

I have run since year 53, a decently firm AWR barn. Very rarely have I run anything outside that division since then. In earnings from year 53 until present, it is around 5.9 million. If I take out my highest AWR earner from those years, my other routers have earned around 2.9 million. I don't run a large barn, and still earn enough to do well in the field.

Fair warning, I may have run a few other single horses from different divisions during these years, so take my math with a little bit of flexibility.

I'm no expert in All Weather Routing, very far from it. I just enjoy running horses in the field.
Johnson Stables
Margaux
2x SC AWR Matron Winner

Pine Mountain Standing: 35,000
Y64 SC AWR Classic Winner
Y65 Pegasus Route Winner
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

AW is great to get into. I would say to start looking to claim fillies with consistent pedigrees that you can rerun at a higher price and retire to start breeding soon. I’ve found it’s much easier to breed a nice AW horse than it is anything else and you don’t need a top pedigree, just something consistent like I said.
yeah
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 1 year ago AW is great to get into. I would say to start looking to claim fillies with consistent pedigrees that you can rerun at a higher price and retire to start breeding soon. I’ve found it’s much easier to breed a nice AW horse than it is anything else and you don’t need a top pedigree, just something consistent like I said.
I've built a real nice Awm band from claimed mares just look for good sires with decent producing mares and off you go !