opinion on quality comment

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

opinion on quality comment

Post by Stormy Peak »

I haven't had a young steeplechaser in like...forever...

I then bred this guy on a whim. --> Boom
I trained him to jump and got the comment that he's a chaser stakes quality.

Not unhappy with that. : ) However... with mixers, I no longer even get excited when I'm told I have a freak. In T-breds, I get Very Excited when told I have a freak, because for the most part, they pan out. I have barn full of mixer freaks that couldn't out run a slug...with many of them unable to get past nw-3 races before I retired them when they couldn't make money in 5 or 6 races in a row.

Is it the same in steeplechasing? Should I be getting my hopes up a even a little bit? Are the 'chasers a bit more dependable in their comments than say Quarter Horses?

Again, I haven't followed this division all that much...but do remember reading that until recently there were no freaks in 'chasing...and that caused a controversy since they were Steward introductions...but that debate is for another thread. I'm just mostly wondering if there is a general consistancy in steeplechasing about stake horses able to compete in stakes for the most part - I do understand that one can get a dud sometimes even in T-bred racing - I'm just wondering about you opinions over all in what you've all seen in this division as far as stake horses usually able to win stakes or do they more often than not end up like lower or mid range allowance types... as is my opinion on other mixers when I see 'freak or stakes' come up.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: opinion on quality comment

Post by Rochelle Bos »

It was tweeked this year because it seemed 95% of chasers were Freaks or Stakes. That being said my one remaining chase freak isn’t very freaky :/
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

Chaser stakes can hold there own in stakes races, you just have to be mindful of placement.
Having said that, and as you mentioned there are 2 ends of the stakes spectrum. Those that can win a few stakes races and those that are just claimers.

This horse is a chase stakes. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=983389 admittedly he was a freak last year and then the numbers were changed and he has become a stakes.

This one has always been a stakes https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=863815 as has this one https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=905115

All I can say is anything can happen with chasers. Your 2 yr old will be one in this group of 2 yr olds where nothing has been changed, which will be a first in a number of years as there has been a lot of tinkering happening. The only way you will find out how good or bad he is going to be is racing him and seeing how he go's
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Here's a freak https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=947754 do what you will with that knowledge.
yeah
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Emmie Kay wrote: 5 years ago
Dylan Christensen wrote: 5 years ago Here's a freak https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=947754 do what you will with that knowledge.
Did you train again to see if he stayed a Freak? I know some dropped Freak to Stakes.
Have no idea, bought him off Gigi Gofaster and know nothing about chasing/the changes. Just wanted a money maker.

Edit:Just trained over fences, still a freak
yeah
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

She’s a freak, but what’s the point when her Gr 1 win earned her a whomping $25k! Obviously my earnings don’t depend on chasers, but how do you keep your head above water? This is sad.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 5 years ago She’s a freak, but what’s the point when her Gr 1 win earned her a whomping $25k! Obviously my earnings don’t depend on chasers, but how do you keep your head above water? This is sad.
Wow! Very sad indeed! Especially when they have to sit for an extra 6 weeks over routers
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Rachel Sadler
Turf Router

Post by Rachel Sadler »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 5 years ago She’s a freak, but what’s the point when her Gr 1 win earned her a whomping $25k! Obviously my earnings don’t depend on chasers, but how do you keep your head above water? This is sad.
Prize money needs a major overhaul, and has been bought up before with no response. Its pathetic that there are G1 races only worth 50k. Either change the grading of the race or change the prize money to reflect the race.

Something else that needs an over haul is the 3yr old races.

I have a 3 yr old filly that has won 3 from 3, her latest win was in Europe over night, and the only available race for her in the immediate future is a claimer, and she wont be entered in that.
There is no upcoming races what so ever and whilst I would of created races for her, they no longer stay on the race card for future years like they used to, and i dont feel inclined to spend my money every year when there is an overall need for more races over the entire 3yr old program.

Since the demise of Island Heights there has been no new races to offset those that were lost, and with the inclusion of 3yr old SC races now there should be more listed and group races available to prepare our horses.

And yes, I am willing to put my hand up and help if the changes will be made.
"I wish people will tell me when there unhappy"

We did, and you didn't do anything to fix the reason why we are unhappy!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Purses won't be getting an upgrade any time soon. The whole point of having divisions lower than dirt/turf routers (Mixers, All weather, steeplechase) is to tackle various aspects of the game, but not with the same reward. If you want to play in a division with really big purses, do QH 400 yarders, etc.

As for a race missing for a horse (or several), that stuff is easy. Just send what is missing (including several races at a time) and it will be added right away (within reason, obviously). People do this all the time.

Player-owned track races will never be "replaced" as they are added or lost. That's why players can buy/renew their own tracks. And now, edit their own races (glory hallelujah!).

One thing I would love to add is a Cheltenham type festival early in the year. It's such a huge event every year... the races are meant to exist in one form or another, but they're not grouped and all in one spot and exciting and rich like they should be!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Random as all heck but I actually would love to see a difference between Hurdle and Steeple chasing. That way a festival like Cheltenham would make sense.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Carole Hanson wrote: 5 years ago Random as all heck but I actually would love to see a difference between Hurdle and Steeple chasing. That way a festival like Cheltenham would make sense.
What will come first, this change? Or me convincing Admin that Laytown Races and White Turf is REALLY IMPORTANT to add?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Emmie Kay wrote: 5 years ago
The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Purses won't be getting an upgrade any time soon. The whole point of having divisions lower than dirt/turf routers (Mixers, All weather, steeplechase) is to tackle various aspects of the game, but not with the same reward. If you want to play in a division with really big purses, do QH 400 yarders, etc.

As for a race missing for a horse (or several), that stuff is easy. Just send what is missing (including several races at a time) and it will be added right away (within reason, obviously). People do this all the time.

Player-owned track races will never be "replaced" as they are added or lost. That's why players can buy/renew their own tracks. And now, edit their own races (glory hallelujah!).

One thing I would love to add is a Cheltenham type festival early in the year. It's such a huge event every year... the races are meant to exist in one form or another, but they're not grouped and all in one spot and exciting and rich like they should be!
It’s late so my brain is probably not working at optimum capacity, but why are chasers considered lesser than DR and TR? If anything it takes more time, patience and dedication ($$) with chasers on the player’s end (or so it seems, I’m just getting into them myself). QHs are near impossible to get a foothold in as a newish player, or that was my experience. Chasers I have really enjoyed because the potential successes seem a bit more inviting without any Stewardbreds in the field. A bit disappointing to hear that a G1 had a $25k purse, didn’t even know that was a thing! (Again, new to it all when it comes to chasers). Signing off before I continue to ramble.
Why is the MLB considered better/bigger than AAA and AA baseball? There have to be levels somewhere. In this game, dirt/turf routers reign supreme. Then come dirt/turf sprinters, QHs, harness racing, and turf milers. Dirt milers, all weather, and steeplechasing everything fit next. Probably even behind all that is Paints/Appys/Arabians. Something for everyone, but obviously most people would love to win a Louisville Derby or an Arc, which is considered super premium/desirable. Not saying it's more or less fun, or more or less rewarding. Just saying that's what people usually WANT most. Obviously, not all abide by these "rules", several just do chasers and some just do mixers and that's their choice. But they probably wouldn't throw away an Arc trophy or anything!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Dirt and Turf Routers are super hard to break into (especially DR) so I wouldn’t say chasers take more time and dedication. Yea with chasers you have to wait several years before they can race but it’s very possible to strike lucky in chasing. With DR, you have to wait generations before your horses start producing even consistent winners let alone stakes winners or champions. The fees in dirt routing are also expensive and you end up having to compete against all these freaks from generationally proven bloodlines like you pointed out. Turf routing isn’t quite as bad yet but it’s heading in that direction.