Advice on breeding

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Azure Sapphire
Two Year Old

Advice on breeding

Post by Azure Sapphire »

Hey there!
I recently bought this mare,
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=528868
She was listed as an AW sprinter Formidable mare, however once I bought her I realized she is rated “Brilliant” as a steeplechase mare. Because I am a newcomer to breeding, I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether I should stick to AW or breed her as a steeplechase mare? I would be interested in getting into steeplechasing regardless. She has hypoed slightly better as a steeplechaser, with mostly B+ and A- versus Bs and B+ on AW. Anyone have any breeding advice? Thanks!
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: Advice on breeding

Post by Regina Moore »

First, know that there isn't One Right Answer, so you might get a variety of opinions.

Secondly, since you're new, you might not know that broodmares can die from foaling once reaching the age of 12yo. The older she gets, the more likely she'll die. So, since she's already 16yo, there's a good chance that this year's foal will be her last.

Third, know that steeplechasers tend to hypo high. So, while an A- is good it's not particularly impressive for a brilliant mare. On the other hand, she's by a Game Point "real life" stallion, which don't have a SIM pedigree and sometimes that can make them hypo lower, since the nick calculation doesn't have very many horses in the pedigree to work with.

Fourth, she's already been bred a whole lot of times to AW sprinters and only got one decent foal, so there's no reason to think that this time she'll strike lightening. For that reason, I'd suggest trying a steeplechase stud. However, know that steeplechasers don't start racing until age 3. (You can race on the flat at two, before turning the foal into a steeplechaser, if you want. But once turned into a steeplechaser, you can't change the horse back into a flat runner.)
Azure Sapphire
Two Year Old

Post by Azure Sapphire »

Thank you for the advice! I was aware of the risk of death with this mare, I’m trying to do as much research as possible so I can try and get one good foal out of her :D

I think I will look around at some more steeplechase studs and see if I can get a better hypo before I go with one of the A- studs. Again, thanks so much! If anyone else has another opinion I’m still very much open to advice!
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

She is A- to Play Leapfrog, if you like you may breed to him for free! :D hope you’re enjoying the game!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Azure Sapphire
Two Year Old

Post by Azure Sapphire »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago She is A- to Play Leapfrog, if you like you may breed to him for free! :D hope you’re enjoying the game!
I would really appreciate that, thank you so much!
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

if she Brilliant chase and only hypo's B+ to A- then good chance the foal will be a dud but if u getting some B+ in AW then i would stick to that
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

Her offspring threw the Dam to this machine 2yo AW sprinter, https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=749124,
def AW
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..