what age is the decline?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

what age is the decline?

Post by Joe Bengston »

For steeplechasers in the sim at what age do they start to decline? I haven't raced much in the chase races or ever had many chasers so I don't know. so I was wondering if they are like the flat thoroughbreds in the sim and decline at 6-7. The reason I bring this up is because if so I personally would like to see that revamped because watching Cheltenham today plenty of horses were racing that are 12 and 14 etc. so what is it like in the sim?
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Re: what age is the decline?

Post by Dylan Christensen »

I've been told chasers tend to peak at age 7 or 8 and decline shortly after
yeah
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

They can decline at any age. Some as young as 4yo, some not till they are 9.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

There's an answer from an expert here:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... leID=14082
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

Gigi Gofaster wrote: 4 years ago There's an answer from an expert here:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... leID=14082
Thanks GiGi. I know different horses peak at different ages but according to the Steward age 7 is when they peak.

so my next question is has anyone had success winning with a 12-14 year old? success meaning winning races of any level.

anyone against older horses racing in that 12-14 range? and still competing at good levels or even peaking?

in real life for example It Came To Pass won its race and that was a 10 year old. lots of horses in that race were 10-12 ish I think. some 7 and 8 year olds. but at least real life it seems horses can still compete at high levels past 7.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I think the maximum you can keep a horse racing in the SIM is 11? So no 12 year olds can race, certainly not 13 or 14yos.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Horses retire as they become 10yo in the Sim. It is possible to extend that by paying (I think its Game Points). I doubt anyone has ever kept a 12yo racing.

Those answers from the Steward are from 4 years ago. A lot has changed with chasers during that time.

In rl horses aren't even allowed to compete in the Grand National until they are 7yo.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Even if you pay GP horses must mandatorily retire at age 12
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=38431
Race With Lions (TM)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid) - leased out this year

NEW in Y66:
Nigerian Prince
(TS)
The Womble (TR)
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

well do you guys like the current way it is then or would anyone like to see it changed? at least for chasers since again in real life they race at older ages it seems like. that's what I'm getting at. I want to know if everyone likes it the way it is or should we ask to possibly have it changed or tweaked?

I don't mind 10 for other breeds except maybe standardbreds as they race well into their 12-14 year old seasons as well in real life I believe they have to retire at 15. (don't quote me, it might be 14, I can't remember, just know Foiled Again was forced to retired, since he was up in age)
I'm kind of one who would like to see them being able to race past 10. it fits more in line with real life. and this is supposed to be the most realistic sim right?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Joe Bengston wrote: 4 years ago well do you guys like the current way it is then or would anyone like to see it changed? at least for chasers since again in real life they race at older ages it seems like. that's what I'm getting at. I want to know if everyone likes it the way it is or should we ask to possibly have it changed or tweaked?

I don't mind 10 for other breeds except maybe standardbreds as they race well into their 12-14 year old seasons as well in real life I believe they have to retire at 15. (don't quote me, it might be 14, I can't remember, just know Foiled Again was forced to retired, since he was up in age)
I'm kind of one who would like to see them being able to race past 10. it fits more in line with real life. and this is supposed to be the most realistic sim right?
I don't know if you know this but you can extend the horse's career to 11 already, mandatory retirement is 12 if you've paid.

The Sim runs on a different time scale than real life, so horses are done breeding between 12 - 14 and die usually between 20 - 22 (instead of 29 - 31). So that's the reasoning behind limiting racing to under age 12.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Joe Bengston wrote: 4 years ago I don't mind 10 for other breeds except maybe standardbreds as they race well into their 12-14 year old seasons as well in real life I believe they have to retire at 15. (don't quote me, it might be 14, I can't remember, just know Foiled Again was forced to retired, since he was up in age)
The mandatory retirement age for standardbreds at parimutuel tracks in real like is 15. Although I believe you can still race at some county fairs beyond that.