I'm not chaser person question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

I'm not chaser person question

Post by Jack Christensen »

I bred a chase stakes late bloomer, who is 2. How good is this horse? I really don't know enough about chasers to determine if he'll be good at all. Are chase stakes LB's good?
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Re: I'm not chaser person question

Post by Dylan Christensen »

if they become a freak maybe
yeah
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Most of my Chase Stakes late bloomer become freaks later :) As Chase Stakes, they absolutely will win their maiden and perhaps some other races to. They are usually not competitive in stakes-races.
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I won two 3yr old 50K stakes in wk 15 of last year with allowance chasers, one each colt and filly. Noticed that today as I was entering horses today that ran in wk 15 last year. To the best of my knowledge those two are still allowances. Yes that is surprising, but still.............
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Lucas Davenport wrote: 3 years ago I won two 3yr old 50K stakes in wk 15 of last year with allowance chasers, one each colt and filly. Noticed that today as I was entering horses today that ran in wk 15 last year. To the best of my knowledge those two are still allowances. Yes that is surprising, but still.............
If they are the two I am looking at, one hasn't trained to jump since the second half of year 55, so the horse could have improved either with the turnover to year 56 or Week 8/9, and the other trained to jump at the start of the year, pre-geld, and so could have improved with the gelding, or during Week 8/9 (although in his case, he might still be an allowance; the other three entrants in that stakes were maidens).
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I just re-trained to jump the filly (just for this post, I rarely train again to jump and prefer to let the horses efforts speak for themselves), she is now stakes (but that was your original question) at 4; has won five races in eight starts including a stakes race and 71K thru week 1 of her 4 yr old campaign. Not a late bloomer, btw. So yes chaser stakes can be OK, and if yours is a LB, even better than that.

I just retrained to jump the gelding, and he remains allowance. Even though he won a stakes race and four other races.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Brian Clarke
Two Year Old

Post by Brian Clarke »

hi all, am wondering about chasers? is there a way to find if a horse has chasing ability before you retrain them? i trained 3 horses who werent much good on flat and none had ability over jumps? seems like a waste. i retired those horses. would appreciate a quick reply on subject as am very interested in moving many horses to chasing, tyvm.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Brian Clarke wrote: 3 years ago hi all, am wondering about chasers? is there a way to find if a horse has chasing ability before you retrain them? i trained 3 horses who werent much good on flat and none had ability over jumps? seems like a waste. i retired those horses. would appreciate a quick reply on subject as am very interested in moving many horses to chasing, tyvm.
You can train a horse to jump before turning them into a steeplechaser. The comment you get from the train to jump gives you a pretty good idea of their ability - you're looking for impressive form or freak, maybe natural. Anything lower than that really is a filler horse or a horse that can break its maiden in an unfilled race. If the horse has a bad train to jump, you just keep racing them (although you'd have to gallop them to replace the chase comment with the gallop comment).
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Also of note, horses don’t usually just randomly show chase ability, you have to breed a horse to chase in most cases, sometimes you unknowingly breed a chaser but the dam and sire will have chase ability
yeah
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 3 years ago Also of note, horses don’t usually just randomly show chase ability, you have to breed a horse to chase in most cases, sometimes you unknowingly breed a chaser but the dam and sire will have chase ability
The horse who turned up chase stakes LB was meant to be a chaser. The mare was Brilliant