workouts

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

workouts

Post by LA Pepper »

I have very few ssteeplechasers and never any good ones so I'm pretty much newbie in this department. Without naming names since I didnt get permission, I see a horse that ran the 10 fastest workouts last year on turf at certain distance as a 3 year old. He was then first entered in a 5K claiming race , where he didnt do well, and then was sold for $123. What's up here??
AND, does it matter if you train your steeplechasers on turf, or dirt, or even AW?
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Re: workouts

Post by Kent Saunders »

I can't answer the second question although I personally always work at 5f on the turf since they go long and race on the turf. Times are mostly meaningless. I have slow working Freaks and fast working Allowance gallops. When they race they tend to race like they gallop. Other breeds are much more likely to race like they workout than Chasers. I don't even check the top workouts for chasers to gauge how my horses are doing
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I only work my chasers if (i) I'm trying to figure out if they can do something other than chase, or (ii) I think a work is needed to keep them fit when they have four weeks' between races. Otherwise, I don't bother working them. Like Kent, when I do work them, I tend to do 5 furlongs on turf, because I figure chasing is essentially long on turf with jumps. So, I wouldn't put too much stock into works. Gallop comments and train to jump comments matter more.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I only give mine one workout unless I'm using it to find equipment and don't as a 3yo. I use 6f turf. I never look at the top times.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Like Dave, I only work out my chasers to find out equipment. I usually use 5 f turf, but I have also tried 6 f turf (different years). And I don't care about the time- only equipment...
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser