This is a petition to adjust gallops.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Re: This is a petition to adjust gallops.

Post by Brad Fabman »

This doesn't matter to me at all. When you breed a horse in real life it doesn't come with a gallop comment. You don't have any idea what you have till you train and/or run it. So why should this be any different? You have a base comment but not something that is really etched in stone. I don't have a problem with that. When I breed a Freak, it's become I'll believe it when I see it.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Jurgen Ver
Classic Contender

Post by Jurgen Ver »

I follow Tom in this: 'There will never be any satisfaction when comes to this matter.'

I am not for doing away with Gallops and IMO adjustments are not needed.

Like Tom says: 'When you breed better mares to better stallions as the game evolves the results "ratings" tend to improve or rate higher.
The gallop comments are just that. They are comments. They don't guarantee anything.'
Not one gallop comment guarantee that the horse will be an excellent or bad horse on the track.

I am happy with the way it goes and I choose every year wich horses I will train wich not and that's works fine for me ;-).
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

The thing is, an adjustment in harness gallops satisfies those that want a more accurate measure, and changes nothing for those who don’t care for gallop comments. So what is the issue then with adjusting the comments? If you don’t care what the comment reads, what’s gonna be different when the threshold gets adjusted? You’re still not gonna bother to read too much into it.

I don’t know, I’m not trying to offend anyone but I just don’t understand that logic.
Patrick O'Malley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Patrick O'Malley »

Adjust the thing, or better yet make it adjust itself. If comments are relative to current horse abilities and not to hard-coded numbers they will fluctuate with the quality of the division. Think of it as the trainer comparing your horse against what else she's seen lately, not what she saw at one random time some years back.

This will probably require some thought and clever coding but I have no doubt Admin can pull it off.
It's alive!
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Just a random thought:

What if the game was hard coded to have a % scale for each Breed. Like some sort of a Bell curve.
This would only be for active non retired race horses, once a horse it retired the horse is not counted within the ratings.

It could do periodic checks once per week or per month, whatever. It would run in the back round or overnight and once completed comes up with new results across the sim. Almost like an NFL Team Ranking that gets updated after the weekly game results. But instead of basing it off of results from the horse, it would base it off the behind the scene numbers. We would never have to gallop. Our foals would all be automatically galloped or rated on festivus by the game when the update is ran and it would take the new foals into account when it distributes all of the new gallop ratings.

Based on a system with 100% being the top gallop and 1% being the worst.

For Example:
6% Freak ********************* 95% to 100%
13% Stakes ******************* 82% to 94%
18% Allowance ************** 64% to 81%
26% Productive ************* 38% to 63%
18% Solid ********************* 20% to 37%
13% Claimer ****************** 7% to 19%
6% Diff Carreer ************* 1% - 6%
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Nick Shredder
Sprinter

Post by Nick Shredder »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago Just a random thought:

What if the game was hard coded to have a % scale for each Breed. Like some sort of a Bell curve.
This would only be for active non retired race horses, once a horse it retired the horse is not counted within the ratings.

It could do periodic checks once per week or per month, whatever. It would run in the back round or overnight and once completed comes up with new results across the sim. Almost like an NFL Team Ranking that gets updated after the weekly game results. But instead of basing it off of results from the horse, it would base it off the behind the scene numbers. We would never have to gallop. Our foals would all be automatically galloped or rated on festivus by the game when the update is ran and it would take the new foals into account when it distributes all of the new gallop ratings.

For Example:
Freak ******************** 95% to 100%
Stakes ******************* 82% to 94%
Allowance ************** 64% to 81%
Productive ************* 38% to 63%
Solid ********************* 20% to 37%
Claimer ****************** 7% to 19%
Diff Carreer ************ 1% - 6%
I am very new to this game but I have a ton of experience with other sports management games like Out of the Park Baseball and Football Manager. This system as described above is essentially how both of these games work with their star ratings. Even if the games players keep getting better the ratings are all relative. It works there and I think it would work here. The game code would need to be changed though and I am not sure how easy that would be to do.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Sadly people would rather have the word "freak" in their barn over a comment that actually means something.

I find it ridiculous that horses with the highest gallop comment cant win Nw3. And honestly I get zero excitement when I gallop and they are freaks. Because what does it mean??? 90% of the time NOTHING. And that is a bummer.

Examples of crappy freaks:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1258682
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1305929
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1258677
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1219325 4 years racing to win $167k
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1258569 Best win was 1 allowance race

I like having gallop comments. I just want them to mean something. Would it be a shock to not see so many freaks in my mixer barns? Of course. Would it take some getting use to? Of course. Would it mean more to gallop and get a freak who has a lot better shot at being a nice horse? Heck Yes!!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Yea, I got really disheartened by my Pacers when freaks couldn't even break their maiden races so I stopped caring about them which is sad since Ive been in Pacers since the start.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

I honestly believe the only solution is to get rid of gallop comments. Yes players might be over the moon if they get that elusive freak but I guarantee you that players will just start complaining about their sad "stakes". I've had my share of sad freaks when it comes to trotters. Probably more than some have had freaks. Gallop comments aren't really the problem, it's people's expectations and their inability to temper them.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

One thing I posted on the "One Small Thing? Would be to have your own "Workout Page" just like the one there for all players. Then you could rank your yearlings by times. Doesn't solve this issue but would be nice.....as to the issue at hand we might as well move the needle with gallops. Clearly we have reached a point were 10% of all horses are Freaks and another 20% are Stakes (half my Stakes will debut in Claimers). I am not in favor of eliminating Gallops. You would have mass hysteria and some might actually quit at that point (not me)
Northern Acre
Two Year Old

Post by Northern Acre »

As a new player coming in this season and learning this site. When I found this site I went oh cool harness racing what I'm looking for. So I jump in buying harness horses just to find out later those stakes and freak gallops don't mean much. What a disappointment to find out they can't win a maiden. The gallop comments are very nice to have as long as they mean something.
Arthur Cutler
Derby Contender

Post by Arthur Cutler »

I am not real big on the trotter division of harness but I have numerous freaks in the two-year-old and a three-year-old and the 4+ pacer division and almost all of them earned or will earn over $100,000 by the time their career is finished.I am talking about freaks only
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago Just a random thought:

For Example:
6% Freak ********************* 95% to 100%
13% Stakes ******************* 82% to 94%
18% Allowance ************** 64% to 81%
26% Productive ************* 38% to 63%
18% Solid ********************* 20% to 37%
13% Claimer ****************** 7% to 19%
6% Diff Career ************* 1% - 6%

I don't know how difficult this would be to code but I like the idea of having a low to high percentage instead of labels like Freak or Claimer. Even if it was just at the regular times that changes can occur now, every 8 or 9 weeks I think. Again, I know nothing about coding but I think labels bring certain expectations to mind for many of us. (Maybe even with broodmares?)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

The %age would just be another label. Would that be any different to what we have now? If players have horses rated 95 - 100% they'll expect them to be freaky.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Dave Trainer wrote: 2 years ago The %age would just be another label. Would that be any different to what we have now? If players have horses rated 95 - 100% they'll expect them to be freaky.
Yes, but you can see the range with the percentages. When you just have a Freak you expect it to be top of the line and be out there winning everything and that's what's disappointing, at least to me. If it's 95% I'm not going to be as excited as if it is 100%. If it is a Freak or a stakes now, we don't know if it is a low Freak or Stakes or a higher one and we want it to be a higher one we want it to race like a higher one or we're disappointed. At least that is the way it seems to me.

You could be right, Dave, and in a short amount of time it would be the same as just calling them Freak or Claimer.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯