Purse cuts

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
George Knatz
Miler

Re: Purse cuts

Post by George Knatz »

I would much rather have more and better stakes races than 25k maidens and this is coming from someone that has 110 maiden wins so far this season.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

George Knatz wrote: 4 years ago I would much rather have more and better stakes races than 25k maidens and this is coming from someone that has 110 maiden wins so far this season.
Is it possible (I honestly don’t know the answer) to have both?

I like the Maiden races, I know some folks want a re-bump on some Stakes races. Looks like there is a way that we can make everyone happy.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Having both would put more money into the Sim economy. The Steward is trying to take money out.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago Having both would put more money into the Sim economy. The Steward is trying to take money out.
Exactly, it’s not totally balanced yet but eventually it will be and the money will be a little more evenly distributed throughout the game.
yeah
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I like the $25K maiden races, especially in a crowded division like quarter horse sprinters. In those crowded divisions there is no telling how many stakes horses begin their career in maiden races, probably hundreds. It is nice to pick up $12,500, instead of $5,000 for those stakes galloping racers to begin their careers.
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Dave Trainer wrote: 4 years ago Having both would put more money into the Sim economy. The Steward is trying to take money out.
Taking money out of the game by taking horses out of the game. With the drop in purses each horse bred is worth less. Horses will all move down a slot where only the top top horses will have any shot at making money and that will be less. Lesser horses will be pushed out the bottom.
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Randall Allen wrote: 4 years ago I like the $25K maiden races, especially in a crowded division like quarter horse sprinters. In those crowded divisions there is no telling how many stakes horses begin their career in maiden races, probably hundreds. It is nice to pick up $12,500, instead of $5,000 for those stakes galloping racers to begin their careers.
It just means that winning a nw2 will become more elusive. The $25K purse is a carrot for new and struggling players. It makes finishing 2nd-5th more worthwhile. IMO it makes no sense that a 4yo+ maiden goes for more money than any allowance race that probably has hard knocking veteran horses that wouldn't be competitive in listed stakes in it. For non claimers, the middle is being squeezed. Less money at the top, more money at the bottom, very little in between.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I have no problem with the GP Championship races being cut severely, however those cuts should have been communicated 2 seasons ago before the current crop of 2 yr olds were bred let alone the yearlings also bred (and in a few cases foals). Basically we bred them with the expectation that you could offset some of your expenses and now you can't. This leaves a sour taste in my mouth TBH. Rest assured I will not be breeding many GP horses going forwards.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Kent Saunders wrote: 4 years ago I have no problem with the GP Championship races being cut severely, however those cuts should have been communicated 2 seasons ago before the current crop of 2 yr olds were bred let alone the yearlings also bred (and in a few cases foals).
That makes sense to me.

I get the logic behind the purse drops but I think the better move would have been to come up with something that drains the players with like 25 mil bankrolls more than someone who has like 500k or less.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

Tom Lin wrote: 4 years ago
Randall Allen wrote: 4 years ago I like the $25K maiden races, especially in a crowded division like quarter horse sprinters. In those crowded divisions there is no telling how many stakes horses begin their career in maiden races, probably hundreds. It is nice to pick up $12,500, instead of $5,000 for those stakes galloping racers to begin their careers.
It just means that winning a nw2 will become more elusive. The $25K purse is a carrot for new and struggling players. It makes finishing 2nd-5th more worthwhile. IMO it makes no sense that a 4yo+ maiden goes for more money than any allowance race that probably has hard knocking veteran horses that wouldn't be competitive in listed stakes in it. For non claimers, the middle is being squeezed. Less money at the top, more money at the bottom, very little in between.
I agree 100%. Especially with that 3 or 4 year old filly that you don’t want claimed away. She’s not good enough for a stakes, so she ends up running in an allowance with a 10k purse.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Yea it's frustrating trying to race a mixer that you don't want to lose in the claimers but isn't good enough to be competitive in stakes races.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Erica Olson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Erica Olson »

I know I’m late to this thread but I wanted to add my own two cents...

As someone who racers almost exclusively mixers (although I’ve added back some TBs), the purse cuts are a real bummer. I’m not a rich player, and mixer stakes are my best chance to climb further up the ladder. I don’t have the money to buy top TBs to get a crack at the higher stakes purses in TB divisions. At this rate, who knows if I ever will? Every few years I can afford to get a horse from a TBS auction, but they’re never the cream of the crop that could raise my stable to a higher level because I simply can’t afford that kind of horse. I can’t imagine that these purse cuts will hurt the super rich players that much, but for someone like me who relies on mixers to make money, it’s a big deal.

Also, a general question: why does money have to be taken out of the Sim economy? I don’t understand why the amount of money matters since it’s just a game, not real life. (I don’t mean this as a hostile question by any means, I’m just curious.)
Pacer Studs:
Highland Billy - 15K
Stars Burning - 8K

Trotter Studs:
Viceroy - 5K
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Erica Olson wrote: 4 years ago I know I’m late to this thread but I wanted to add my own two cents...

As someone who racers almost exclusively mixers (although I’ve added back some TBs), the purse cuts are a real bummer. I’m not a rich player, and mixer stakes are my best chance to climb further up the ladder. I don’t have the money to buy top TBs to get a crack at the higher stakes purses in TB divisions. At this rate, who knows if I ever will? Every few years I can afford to get a horse from a TBS auction, but they’re never the cream of the crop that could raise my stable to a higher level because I simply can’t afford that kind of horse. I can’t imagine that these purse cuts will hurt the super rich players that much, but for someone like me who relies on mixers to make money, it’s a big deal.

Also, a general question: why does money have to be taken out of the Sim economy? I don’t understand why the amount of money matters since it’s just a game, not real life. (I don’t mean this as a hostile question by any means, I’m just curious.)
I can see where it is detrimental to the game to have some players have crazy amounts of money. I personally have $22+ million dollars. What am I going to do with all that money???? Well what I can do is obscenely overpay for a horse because I have more money than I know what to do with which means those that actually are watching their pennies have no chance of getting said horse. And of course I'm going to do that for nicer horses. This is why stewardbreds are so crazy expensive and there is much bemoaning of people unable to get them. That being said I don't know how much this change is going to specifically affect players like me vs globally everyone with stakes level horses even if you have just one or two and are still struggling to scrape by. What we need is a wealth tax. Maybe Elizabeth Warren should run for sim president. Though I have a feeling others would greatly bemoan said wealth tax.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I think the thing most players struggle with the most in the game is adapting to changes.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Wh ... ead_button
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago I think the thing most players struggle with the most in the game is adapting to changes.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Wh ... ead_button
Yeah, no.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown