Purse cuts

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Purse cuts

Post by Tom Lin »

I am just noticing, it seems as though the trotting stakes races have had their purses slashed. Some in half. For 3yo trotters there is one non listed stake over the next three weeks and it is a Gr. 3. The New Jersey Men's trot raced for $100K last year, this year it is $50K. For what seems like a very competitive division still, I can't see how most stakes galloping trotters are going to get a sniff at a stakes win. With serious horses ($1M+ earning freaks) being spread over the array of listed stakes it can't do much for competitiveness. It seems to me that if you want the division to grow you would be increasing earning opportunities not clawing back.
It will also affect possible stallions to meet the $350K qualifying mark
It also affects career earnings marks for horses across the board. You might look a quality mare as one who may not have been a stakes winner but earned a $100K for example.
Seems odd that a 4yo & up maiden's purse is $25K and top horses are racing for only twice that.
Just my thoughts.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Purse cuts

Post by Kent Saunders »

Same subject different division. My champion Mid QH can race in exactly 2 races all season for 3 yr olds more than $50k and one is $75k. You can easily win a couple of stakes races and not make $100k for the season...sad.....
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

But your maidens can run for 25k lol
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Jurgen Ver
Classic Contender

Post by Jurgen Ver »

There is a big difference in divisions with the purses, why can they not be the same? The trotters are very competitive, the TB dirt routers are also a very competitive division. If you look, only for 3y olds, there are 96 grade 1 races for TB routers and just 8 grade 1 races in the trotter division.
There are much more TB horses then trotters, but only 8 Grade 1 races is very low.
To earn the 350K for potential stallions will be difficult.
IMO i think the division need more graded stakes races.
I don't race the biggest stable, but Trotters are my mainfocus. It would be great that this competitive division can also can be a division that players can be competitive money wise.
Oh yes, the 25K maidens are great!
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Jurgen Ver wrote: 4 years ago There is a big difference in divisions with the purses, why can they not be the same? The trotters are very competitive, the TB dirt routers are also a very competitive division. If you look, only for 3y olds, there are 96 grade 1 races for TB routers and just 8 grade 1 races in the trotter division.
There are much more TB horses then trotters, but only 8 Grade 1 races is very low.
To earn the 350K for potential stallions will be difficult.
IMO i think the division need more graded stakes races.
I don't race the biggest stable, but Trotters are my mainfocus. It would be great that this competitive division can also can be a division that players can be competitive money wise.
Oh yes, the 25K maidens are great!
I am guessing the reasoning is to match things with real life. While it is true that there are large differences between divisions with purses there are also differences in stud fees and prices of horses between divisions that coorespond with these differing earning potentials. Though agree that it can become problematic for universal things like the 350k stallion cutoff which seems way too low for most thoroughbreds but can be a challenge for mixers. The steward's cup nomination fees also get me where a horse that can run for a $7 million purse is paying the same fee as those running for $500,000 purses. Though admittedly early nomination at least isn't that much and the entry fees do vary by purse. And of course the thing that irks me the most having a shared limit for within breed and crossbreed making it so owners don't lower crossbreed stud fees anymore so you don't have that lower stud fee for your horse with lower earning potentials.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

The 25k maiden compared to 50k stakes and 12k allowances should be looked at.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

All stakes across all divisions/breeds were cut exactly the same, and all maidens were made the same, whether TB or not.

But agree that more Mixer/Harness graded stakes are definitely needed.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Joe Bengston
Turf Router

Post by Joe Bengston »

we have the emo for trotters which is a million dollar purse. the Pacers should also get their million dollar race which would be at the Can track. since the real life version would be the North America Cup which I believe in real life has a million dollar purse. obviously we would have to change the name here. just my two cents. I don't know if pacers are less competitive than trotters so maybe that wouldn't be worth doing but I think both should have at least one 1 million dollar purse.

I also thought the stewards cup races for harness and I guess mixers as well should for the most part all be million dollar purses or higher. but I understand not doing that for them.

then just to talk about a mare who isn't a stakes horse but won 100,000 https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=866514 my mare I have that is a stakes winner won less but I also retired her early as well.
I'm Joe bengston in the Sim, so just call me Joe.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Or Kanishiwa Park, which has purses of $30k across the board for restricted (NW2, NW3, etc) races. I'm making more money there with underachievers than I'm making with some of my better horses. I'm surprised those purses weren't adjusted as well.
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago Or Kanishiwa Park, which has purses of $30k across the board for restricted (NW2, NW3, etc) races. I'm making more money there with underachievers than I'm making with some of my better horses. I'm surprised those purses weren't adjusted as well.
I believe that is a TB track.
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Purses were only adjusted for stakes, straight maidens, and either straight claimers or straight allowances.... we didn't do ALL conditions in one year for fear of mutiny ;-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Resurrecting this thread so that Danny’s thread doesn’t get overrun.

At the moment I haven’t felt massive effects from the purse cuts but I did have a ‘huh?’ moment when I had a filly win an allowance and earn $5k for it. A $10k allowance seems VERY low. Especially since allowances are open races that are just a step down from listed stakes.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

You can get that for winning a 10k claimer and 12.5k for winning a maiden. You're better off with a horse keep finishing 2nd in maidens.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago Resurrecting this thread so that Danny’s thread doesn’t get overrun.

At the moment I haven’t felt massive effects from the purse cuts but I did have a ‘huh?’ moment when I had a filly win an allowance and earn $5k for it. A $10k allowance seems VERY low. Especially since allowances are open races that are just a step down from listed stakes.
Agreed. Something with open conditions shouldn't be that low.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Masaya Stable
Miler

Post by Masaya Stable »

for the maidens at 25k I think it's good. because it allows the horses to stay in the race longer.
and fewer horses have greenpasture.

pour les maidens a 25k je croit que c'est bien. car cela permet aux chevaux de restez en course plus longtemps.
et moins de chevaux a greenpasture.