Would turf be worth a try?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Corey Lange
Miler

Would turf be worth a try?

Post by Corey Lange »

Ok so when i started the game i bought this horse and have been looking for a good mate for my first breeding. She is Afar and i've been recommended the ghostzapper line because of the success of the gelding. But recently when it comes down to actually breeding her now that my 6 weeks is up i've seen that she might breed well for turf too but nothing's ever tried turf that i've seen. Any Ideas/opinions?
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Re: Would turf be worth a try?

Post by Jolene Danner »

all the stakes winners out of Afleet mares is old SIM. Also they are all Dirt stakes winners. You could try turf, but i don't think that Afleet's form has transfered from the old SIM quite that well.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

it can't hurt. afleet produced flat fleet feet(say that 5 times fast!!!) who produced nerves of jelly and sunset bay harbor. neither are anything super special, but they both did win on turf. afleet is a son of mr. prospector, who is proving(at least to me) that he can sire mares who produce turf horses. i had a mare, blissful, who's a full sister to fusaichi pegasus, and she has produced dirt and turf winners. it might not work, but it can't hurt. if i bred her in the hopes of producing a turf horse, i'd breed her to a very strong producer with a high win percentage. if she doesn't produce with a stallion that produces winners when bred to sloths, she won't produce a winner when bred to an average stallion.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

If you want to play it safe, you could try a multisurface stallion like Life Divided, Life Worth Living, The Right To Dream, Colorado, Baffert, etc.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

It's a good question, and the fact that you're here asking about it shows the new 6-week rule is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

In this case, I suspect this mare is a mediocre dirt mare. However, like LaDonna says, it won't kill you to try something new with her. She has proven she's a mediocre dirt mare, but perhaps she's better than mediocre when bred to turf or AW? I doubt it (the Deputy Minister influence probably negates Mr. Prospector's flexibility, and Afleet hasn't shown as much flexibility as other Mr. P lines anyway), but it's not like you're giving up a potential superstar foal to find out. The risk/reward scenario seems to favor taking a shot here. But whatever you do, send her to someone proven, so you know which side to blame. :wink:
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Consider breeding for AW -

Distorted Humor has had some success with AW, though does cost GP's to breed. Rainshine, Colorado as mentioned above, and look for others.
I'm just here for the fun of it