This hypo is interesting and does anyone else do this?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

This hypo is interesting and does anyone else do this?

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

I have two yearlings that I thought would be an interesting mating if either one turns out to be really good.
Hypo these two. Distant News(C) x Shockadelica(F). Does inbreeding work when duplicating a Hall Of Fame mare on this game?
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Re: This hypo is interesting and does anyone else do this?

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

So someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that its only really the first 3 generations of a foal's pedigree that determines things, so inbreeding in the 4th actually would have no effect. That being said there are certainly a number of people in here who will inbreed foals (or at least I have) and some of those have turned out very well.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

also would like to point out shockadelica looks to be a turf router so I would only be looking to breed her to a turf router if and when she does retire
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Yeah, I forgot about that aptitude thing. Milers and routers don't mix. Like to like.
I am just having fun poking around the pedigrees of the SIMs. :)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

It has been said by The Steward though that if you are going to inbreed, inbreeding mares is better than inbreeding colts (the same mare found in the pedigree like the example you provided, rather than a Tattered mare bred to a grandson of Tattered as an example).
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I line breed all the time, especially when it comes to Kismet. This is the result of one such breeding.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Melissa Mae wrote:I line breed all the time, especially when it comes to Kismet. This is the result of one such breeding.
Nice! Does anyone know if anyone has bred a good horse like that to Sai Yah?
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Nena Olson wrote:It has been said by The Steward though that if you are going to inbreed, inbreeding mares is better than inbreeding colts (the same mare found in the pedigree like the example you provided, rather than a Tattered mare bred to a grandson of Tattered as an example).
So the Rasmussen Factor works better than the inbreeding to colts in this game. :mrgreen:
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Melissa Mae wrote:I line breed all the time, especially when it comes to Kismet. This is the result of one such breeding.
I remember targeting Faire Cadeau (in whatever auction I bought her from, it was a while ago) specifically because of the 3x3 to Kismet.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Everyone develops their own understanding, and there's no "right answer" known to anyone but perhaps the game developers.

I don't typically go out of my way to use inbreeding to males, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it either, with a few exceptions. I don't think of it so much as avoiding the inbreeding, but rather just avoiding doubling down on certain traits. Black Condor is an example of a horse I will try to avoid inbreeding to, even "off the charts" inbreeding like 3x4 or 4x4. It's not because I'm worried about the black type in the blue box, but rather that IMO you only want one dose of that kind of stamina - double that influence in the pedigree, and you're sacrificing too much speed (again, just my process, I'm sure others have successful examples).

That said, I often do go out of my way to try to breed or buy horses that show 3x3 maternal line-breeding to blue hens. Demand an Encore is the best example in my barn, off the top of my head. It's especially attractive to me, because with real blue hens (I'm not talking about the game designation, I'm talking about those very few mares that have the Hall of Fame resume strictly on their producing record) you don't mind at all getting extra doses of that trait - awesome producer. Obviously doesn't guarantee that you'll get a star, but it never hurts to limit the pedigree to just the high producers to whatever extent possible.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Yes, the Rasmussen Factor is alive and well in the SIM; at least, it seems to be. I've had some pretty good luck inbreeding to Banner with my turf routers (see Gibraltar and his full sister Catalan Bay out of an otherwise horrible mare).

Fairy Murmur is 3x3 to Cadeauje, and I expect her to be quite a nice filly.

I could go on with a good few examples of that, but I also really enjoy "loading" pedigrees with as many awesome female families as I can put into a pedigree. This filly is a great example. She needs to be bred back to a Wonder-lined stallion that also has some Soldier Girl in his pedigree (My Soul to Take maybe?). Then everything will be there.

ETA: This gal might be a better example of loading a pedigree. That right there is just about drool-worthy.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Erin Sanderson wrote:ETA: This gal might be a better example of loading a pedigree. That right there is just about drool-worthy.
Doesn't that mare have a maddeningly nice pedigree? I tried to coax talent out of her foals something like nine times! I hope you have better luck than I did with her!
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Andrea Bouwkamp wrote:
Nice! Does anyone know if anyone has bred a good horse like that to Sai Yah?
I had a few with Kismet/Sai Yah lines in them (figured it would be golden) but none of them could outrun a turtle. It's a cross I try to avoid now.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Kevin Hern wrote:
I remember targeting Faire Cadeau (in whatever auction I bought her from, it was a while ago) specifically because of the 3x3 to Kismet.
The fillies I bred on the cross seem to be better than the colts, which I find interesting. I think every filly I've bred on it has won at least one race while the colts have struggled to even hit the board for the most part (even from the same mares). It's one of those things where I usually make sure it's a filly now. I do wonder if it would be different if I did the 2 x 3 x 4 like this pedigree for a colt through another dam (Find's full brother sucked) but I can't imagine it would be any different.

Like others on this thread, I try to double up on dams, I'm not a big fan of having a sire top and bottom but I also think dams are more important than sires so that could be my prejudice coming out.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Eric Nalbone wrote:
Erin Sanderson wrote:ETA: This gal might be a better example of loading a pedigree. That right there is just about drool-worthy.
Doesn't that mare have a maddeningly nice pedigree? I tried to coax talent out of her foals something like nine times! I hope you have better luck than I did with her!
I just hope I can get a nice broodmare prospect out of her at this point. I've had some luck "breeding up" branches of nice female families that aren't quite producing wows...and I don't have the funds to otherwise get Worth Every Moment that close in a pedigree!

A real fun example of that is Quite...she's tail female Spot On, but I managed to make a blue hen mare whose first foal is a scary/special dirt router!
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!