Thoroughbreds Soundness Spreadsheet

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoroughbreds Soundness Spreadsheet

Post by Nick Gilmore »

We seem to have forgotten this soundness issue, but has anyone noticed any effects on their horses?
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I ended up not paying any attention to it when breeding last year.

Based upon the FAQ we were given at the beginning of last year, a "somewhat unsound" horse can race 6-7 times a year, which is the schedule most horses were on, anyway. So, the only thing I've paid attention to is "very unsound" horses, and being more careful with them. I had a handful of Grade 1 winning "somewhat unsound" Thoroughbreds that didn't have any problem winning after running a few races in a row on two week turnarounds.

To me, it's one of those subtle issues in the game that, like track condition, can affect a specific race, in terms of the status of each horse and how tired or rested it is that day but, all in all, isn't worth worrying about in the larger picture.

What I dislike most about pointing out the soundness of breeding stock is that, like gallop stats, it prompts players to only focus on breeding to small group of stallions and completely disregarding the rest. Why breed to an unsound horse, when you can breed to a very sound one for the same price? So, everyone flocks to the sound horses, just like the do the highest nickers and most freaking-siring, and then wonder why a certain division gets so in-bred.

Unless I end up with a herd with a large percent of "very unsound" horses, I can't see it being a factor in my breeding.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I have a feeling that the soundest ones won't often be the freak-siriest, or the highest-nicking, so if anyone does seek out the sounder options, I think it'll help keep inbreeding at bay a bit.

I can't say I've paid particular attention to it while breeding, but it can be a nice guideline while racing. Although sometimes I find it hard to see a ton of difference:
Very Sound, ran eight times last year, winning five, vetted amazingly all the way through.
Very Unsound, ran seven times last year, on a two-week schedule from week 3-13, which I would have been scared to try given her soundness, but she vetted so great a week postrace every time that I almost had to enter her. Though I may be paying for it now coming back 2 weeks after the SC...

So I think this is a neat new wrinkle and something we still have a lot to learn about going forward... but I've been well convinced to let the horse itself dictate what it needs at the time. :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Regina Moore wrote:I ended up not paying any attention to it when breeding last year.

Based upon the FAQ we were given at the beginning of last year, a "somewhat unsound" horse can race 6-7 times a year, which is the schedule most horses were on, anyway. So, the only thing I've paid attention to is "very unsound" horses, and being more careful with them. I had a handful of Grade 1 winning "somewhat unsound" Thoroughbreds that didn't have any problem winning after running a few races in a row on two week turnarounds.

To me, it's one of those subtle issues in the game that, like track condition, can affect a specific race, in terms of the status of each horse and how tired or rested it is that day but, all in all, isn't worth worrying about in the larger picture.

What I dislike most about pointing out the soundness of breeding stock is that, like gallop stats, it prompts players to only focus on breeding to small group of stallions and completely disregarding the rest. Why breed to an unsound horse, when you can breed to a very sound one for the same price? So, everyone flocks to the sound horses, just like the do the highest nickers and most freaking-siring, and then wonder why a certain division gets so in-bred.

Unless I end up with a herd with a large percent of "very unsound" horses, I can't see it being a factor in my breeding.
This.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I have paid zero attention to soundness when entering/breeding my horses.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Vanille Reynolds
Miler

Post by Vanille Reynolds »

The Stolen Earth is "Sound"
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Can we wake this thread up again?
I believe very sound horses can run on a 1½ week schedule now with 1st class shipping so I think this is of more importance now?
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...