Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Post by Lori Hamill »

Like Stars Burning
She is a Blue Hen stakes winner out of a Star stakes winner also out of a stakes winner.
So far she has produced nothing of interest.
I'm hoping that maybe there are others that may have suggestions to help me out. This could be her last foal and I'd like to give it the best chance possible. I don't trust myself at all.

3 Allowance (DI Hardy, Raleigh, Anointed)
1 Productive (Because I'm Happy)
3 Solid (California Chrome, Keyboard Courage, Hold Above)

Hypo's
Anointed A
Because I'm Happy A-
California Chrome A-
DI Hardy A-
Doctor A-
Hold Above A
Just An Act B+
Keyboard Courage A-
Light of the Moon B+
Man of Mystery A-
Raleigh A-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tom Mudgett
Derby Contender

Re: Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Post by Tom Mudgett »

Call it Magic makes me want to try Cyberman.
Zarley - 25k - DM
Troika - 25k - DM
Timeweaver - 20k - DM
Swordsman - 15k - DM
Fra Mauro - 15k - DM
Some Rocky Socket - 10k - DM/DR
Space Invader - 7.5k - DM
Cotton Eye Joe - 5k - DM
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Feeling somewhat lecture-y, so going to answer this post! Plus Dylan dragged me in to it ;-)

The problem with this mare overall is that she's not a miler, so anything miler-y or suspect of being miler-y needs to go. No Because I'm Happy, Cal Chrome, Just An Act, or Light of the Moon. Even DI Hardy would be too suspect for this cross. She ran at a mile, but was actually better at a 1 1/16 miles. She's considerably better routing than at a mile in the shed. It's hard to know this, because she was so precocious that when she tried 1 1/16 miles again as an older horse she was just okay, not the same as when she was two. It's not your fault.

Grindelwald is "meh" as the kids say, but definitely is not a marathon influence. Just Victory mares are not meant to be met by marathon influences, which tosses Keyboard Courage, Hold Above, and probably even Raleigh. (I sent ONE to Keyboard Courage, I liked the foal a lot but he's always been obnoxiously underperforming, even as a millionaire). Anointed is hit or miss, a lot of people love him, he makes me crazy. He's a true 1 1/4 mile sire, which makes him ?? with JV mares. Man of Mystery is much the same, I bred two JV mares to him and the babies were pretty terrible. So he's out.

That means that out of all the horses you listed, Doctor is the only horse I could advocate. She should probably just hit Doctor or any Doctor-lite options for the rest of her career.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Feeling somewhat lecture-y, so going to answer this post! Plus Dylan dragged me in to it ;-)

The problem with this mare overall is that she's not a miler, so anything miler-y or suspect of being miler-y needs to go. No Because I'm Happy, Cal Chrome, Just An Act, or Light of the Moon. Even DI Hardy would be too suspect for this cross. She ran at a mile, but was actually better at a 1 1/16 miles. She's considerably better routing than at a mile in the shed. It's hard to know this, because she was so precocious that when she tried 1 1/16 miles again as an older horse she was just okay, not the same as when she was two. It's not your fault.

Grindelwald is "meh" as the kids say, but definitely is not a marathon influence. Just Victory mares are not meant to be met by marathon influences, which tosses Keyboard Courage, Hold Above, and probably even Raleigh. (I sent ONE to Keyboard Courage, I liked the foal a lot but he's always been obnoxiously underperforming, even as a millionaire). Anointed is hit or miss, a lot of people love him, he makes me crazy. He's a true 1 1/4 mile sire, which makes him ?? with JV mares. Man of Mystery is much the same, I bred two JV mares to him and the babies were pretty terrible. So he's out.

That means that out of all the horses you listed, Doctor is the only horse I could advocate. She should probably just hit Doctor or any Doctor-lite options for the rest of her career.
That's a lot of words just to advocate a pensioned sire.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago
The Steward wrote: 5 years ago Feeling somewhat lecture-y, so going to answer this post! Plus Dylan dragged me in to it ;-)

Obviously I don't mean go breed to Doctor (I WISH). I mean Doctor-lined things, or horses exactly like him that aren't related to him.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 5 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 5 years ago

Obviously I don't mean go breed to Doctor (I WISH). I mean Doctor-lined things, or horses exactly like him that aren't related to him.
So All of Time. Send the mare to All of Time.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

I'm so glad my half...butted response provoked a lecture from the Steward :lol: being lazy does pay off I guess :D
yeah
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Thank you so much for your well thought out response, I appreciate it very much.
I never could decide if she was a miler or a router but I liked her a lot anyway. I definitely pay too much attention to nick gades, too, I think.

There were not too many mares out there who had the Just Victory/Grindelwald mix - there may have been none. I thought of Doctor, obviously, but I think I decided that it wasn't worth sending her to him when his fee was so high and she wasn't producing anything very promising and he nicked the same as others.

I'm a little surprised about Raleigh because he is by Thieves who threw some short routers and possible milerish types? (IIRC?) Timeless is a short router, yes? So I was thinking maybe he would be okay.

Okay, so now I'm off to look for short routers and some Doctor types. :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lee Tuttle
Miler

Post by Lee Tuttle »

Whats the consensus on Allonsy in this situation?
He throws an "A" hypo to the mare and is a son of Doctor.
But the 150k?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Allonsy is a very obvious answer, but the $150k is steep for a mare like this, who SHOULD be throwing all top horses but ISN'T. But he's obviously one of two main answers, him and All of Time! Doctor Who would be #3.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Lori, if you want to send her to Allonsy I'll pay the fee for you. You were awesome to me when I first started and let me lease your awesome TM mare for free when I decided wanted to try them again.... Please let me pay the fee!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

does this mean I can now ask the steward to give me advice for all my mares hahaha
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Sten Rino Haakonsen wrote: 5 years ago does this mean I can now ask the steward to give me advice for all my mares hahaha
Right? Where can I sign up ;p
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

Maybe this thread isn't the time or place to mention this, but I miss posts like the one above. Maybe it's that there used to be more Steward in the game (such as the great Ask Em Anythings that Scott did) or a series I vaguely remember she did for the Feature Race News, or maybe because there were other players like Eric Nalbone who were pretty good at trying to figure out how A fit with B and did a good job assisting the rest of us when we had questions, but those things really helped me understand the SIM more, and so brought this place more depth for me. I'm not just talking about breeding, but racing too. I know conversations and analysis still happen in the chat room sometimes, but not everyone has the time to devote to that. Obviously everyone is busy and no one has an obligation to spend the time posts like this take, but I'm selfish and I miss it!
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000