Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Re: Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Post by Tim Matthews »

Lori Hamill wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little surprised about Raleigh because he is by Thieves who threw some short routers and possible milerish types? (IIRC?) Timeless is a short router, yes? So I was thinking maybe he would be okay.
The Steward accosted me years ago for not running Raleigh in the Derby; I thought he was going to be a 9 furlong guy but clearly I was wrong. The reasoning is that Lore is a long influence, Em wanted to shorten her up by sending her to JV, and Thieves is a sneaky long influence as well. This adds up to a horse like Raleigh who is confusing on paper but definitely at least a 10f horse. PS to the lurkers breed to Raleigh, The Steward does it all the time
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I also love these posts because they are mostly the only way I ever learn about dirt routers.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Totally agreed with Laura and Matt, greatly appreciate these posts. There is nothing more confusing in breeding than getting the distance blend right. Marathoners, classic horses, short routers that dont mile, short routers that do mile plus the occasional route horse thats just randomly a miler... LOL its nuts.

I find trying to figure out if a short router, miles or not is insanely tough sometimes.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

You guys are scaring me even further away from routers lol
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

To build on my previous post, can we talk about this horse?

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=904661

What is going on here lol. On page 1 the steward says Anointed and Man of Mystery are both classic horses. The mare has produced St. Nicholas Day who seems to be a Classic influence. Going further back you get Vortex who won at 12 furlongs multiple times and finished 3rd in the SC marathon. Where is the miler coming from???

I should also add, great name, buds all day!
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'm a week late in replying, Andrew, but I can personally vouch for the speed influence of Vortex, no matter what his race record says. His top earner is What a Feeling, a mare out of a Sword (!!!) daughter who went winless in 5 starts before going to a flat mile and has been 21-16-2-1 since. His next is my own Tempest (out of a Same mare with a bunch of 9-10 furlong influences) who could win at 9 furlongs but was UNDEFEATED at 1 1/16. The trend continues throughout all of his good foals. They could stretch out and win at 1 1/4, sometimes longer, with just the right conditions, but they seemed to really hit a wall at 1 1/8 or 1 3/16 against top competition. Chocolate got some really good 1 1/4 plus horses, but she has sneaky speed influences in her pedigree (East and Tot Ziens) that probably combined with Vortex to get Vanilla, who did her best running at 1 1/16 miles. Anointed seemed to trend a little more toward the classic side, but Messiah got everything from top milers to top routers. Man of Mystery is similar in that he is predominantly a classic horse with a sire that was very versatile in Sun Raider. So, I'd say Auston Matthews is a throwback to those parts of his pedigree.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Andrew James wrote: 5 years ago To build on my previous post, can we talk about this horse?

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=904661

What is going on here lol. On page 1 the steward says Anointed and Man of Mystery are both classic horses. The mare has produced St. Nicholas Day who seems to be a Classic influence. Going further back you get Vortex who won at 12 furlongs multiple times and finished 3rd in the SC marathon. Where is the miler coming from???

I should also add, great name, buds all day!
Erin already attested to the pedigree stuff, but I want my answer to be "great race placement." I say that about Karl all the time. This horse was never going to run with the Owl Let You knows of the world.... so he didn't bother. I like it!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

I love and hate this thread! ;) I love it, because I´ve learned a lot. I hate it because it´s now clear how LITTLE I know in this game and I´ve probably bred most of my mares to the wrong stallions... ;) I think I need a steward whispering in my ear the next 4 weeks! lol
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Flizan Hambletonian wrote: 5 years ago I love and hate this thread! ;) I love it, because I´ve learned a lot. I hate it because it´s now clear how LITTLE I know in this game and I´ve probably bred most of my mares to the wrong stallions... ;) I think I need a steward whispering in my ear the next 4 weeks! lol
I know. When Em (or Eric) answer one of these threads - what they say seems so obvious, like well, yes, that does make sense! But when first posting the thread it is like "What in tarnation is wrong with this dang mare?????? She's driving me crazy!!!!"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Flizan Hambletonian wrote: 5 years ago I love and hate this thread! ;) I love it, because I´ve learned a lot. I hate it because it´s now clear how LITTLE I know in this game and I´ve probably bred most of my mares to the wrong stallions... ;) I think I need a steward whispering in my ear the next 4 weeks! lol
This made me realize how soon foals are due, how many I have left, and then I looked around for who will be whispering in MY ear!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

No mention of any amazing Xett dirt route sires here? ... harrumphs, wheels and walks, but wait... what's this? "I know. When Em (or Eric) answer one of these threads - what they say seems so obvious, like well, yes, that does make sense!"
So Nalbone is back, eh? Great, there goes the neighborhood. Just when I was starting to turn people to my way of breeding; you know, forget spreadsheets, eschew research and history and simply breed "routers" to "routers" paying no never mind to short router, marathoner, Just Victory types and etc. and pray out loud for a decent slide... hmm, now where is my "Bring Back Random" protest sign? No, that's FWW Is Horrible (circa so last decade). Sincerely yours, Jon Xett -> King of the Distance Confused Router and Stubborn Breeder of Meh.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Jon Xett wrote: 5 years ago No mention of any amazing Xett dirt route sires here? ... harrumphs, wheels and walks, but wait... what's this? "I know. When Em (or Eric) answer one of these threads - what they say seems so obvious, like well, yes, that does make sense!"
So Nalbone is back, eh? Great, there goes the neighborhood. Just when I was starting to turn people to my way of breeding; you know, forget spreadsheets, eschew research and history and simply breed "routers" to "routers" paying no never mind to short router, marathoner, Just Victory types and etc. and pray out loud for a decent slide... hmm, now where is my "Bring Back Random" protest sign? No, that's FWW Is Horrible (circa so last decade). Sincerely yours, Jon Xett -> King of the Distance Confused Router and Stubborn Breeder of Meh.
This made me lol :lol:
yeah
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I agree with my wife Flizan here. I have no real idea on what horse is a marathoner or short router or a classic or a router that can do miles....
Or what horses to suspect that they just might have a little "all weather" ability..

Trying to figure out by comparing 1 1/4, 1/16 or 1/2 speed figures doesnt give me much. I usually see no pattern. Checking what horses won the Steward cup marathons, Short routes and classic and following lines might help. And saving down threads like this one... But what if the horse that won the marathon was a short router "being lucky"? I begin to think that saving all steward comments, all simperior edges and writing those spreadsheets would take loads of time and still I would be heavily confused.

I think I will continue to follow the KotDCRaSBoM path instead, praying for that random slide...
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Ah, I never did that kind of search... good advise Dylan, thanks!
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 5 years ago
Ah, I never did that kind of search... good advise Dylan, thanks!
Dam sire searches is how I’ve come up with 90% of my foals this year 😅 we’ll see how that works out (last year I tried only “popular “ stallions with good %s)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt