Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Hazel Anthony
Miler

Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Post by Hazel Anthony »

Hello everyone,
I saw Lori Hamill's post from 2 months ago and decided to make one of my own. I have this blue hen Turf Sprinter mare: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=857622 According to the Steward and another player, she has a weak pedigree. :( However, she was one of my first Turf Sprinters and she really gave me love for that division. And when I first retired her and saw she was a Blue Hen I was so excited! (Before I knew her pedigree wasn't the greatest). She hasn't thrown the best foals obviously, but I still love her. She has had two Allowance colt and one Productive filly. She hypos A- with See You Monday but B+ with all other studs. I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on where to send her next.. I was thinking a See You Monday colt is in order but any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Hazel
Anthony Meadows

Standing:

Cerebro
Appy DS
3x Simmy Award Winner, 2x Grade 1 winner (including Steward's Cup Dash), 4x Graded Stakes winner
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Blue Hen Breeding Suggestions?

Post by Laura Smith »

You might never get much out of her because she's by my crappy horse (sorry, haha) but it's not all bad. His pedigree is actually quite good, and your mare's damside has been pretty useful at times.
Check out Lord of the Lawn's best work, as they are similarly bred, that might give you some ideas. Besides that, my first instinct might be something RFTM-ish -- it's a fair amount of inbreeding, but this one needs all the quality genes she can get.

This is a great example of a mare I would *not* spend the 90k for SYM on. Blue hen or star comments alone do not justify sending a mare to an expensive stallion. This leads a lot of people to disappointment come gallop day.
I would look for something under 30k with a high allowance+ percentage (make sure it's from a decent sample size, stats for small crops are deceiving.) There are loads of really nice, underutilized stallions out there that are really well priced and get you a really good shot at a useful horse. :) Maybe when I get home from work I can think of a couple specifics.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

If it helps, here's my most useful mare by the same stallion. "Only" a formid, B/B+ hypos, but she's been a pleasant surprise overall. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=801671
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Hazel Anthony
Miler

Post by Hazel Anthony »

Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago You might never get much out of her because she's by my crappy horse (sorry, haha) but it's not all bad. His pedigree is actually quite good, and your mare's damside has been pretty useful at times.
Check out Lord of the Lawn's best work, as they are similarly bred, that might give you some ideas. Besides that, my first instinct might be something RFTM-ish -- it's a fair amount of inbreeding, but this one needs all the quality genes she can get.

This is a great example of a mare I would *not* spend the 90k for SYM on. Blue hen or star comments alone do not justify sending a mare to an expensive stallion. This leads a lot of people to disappointment come gallop day.
I would look for something under 30k with a high allowance+ percentage (make sure it's from a decent sample size, stats for small crops are deceiving.) There are loads of really nice, underutilized stallions out there that are really well priced and get you a really good shot at a useful horse. :) Maybe when I get home from work I can think of a couple specifics.
Thank you so much for all the help Laura! I'll check out the stallions you recommended as well as the ones that you bred to the mare you linked in your second post :) I did send Whimper to SYM because he was her only A- hypo, but the foal turned out to be Productive. :oops: So I guess you're right. My Allowance colts out of her from cheaper sires are going to earn me more money than my SYM filly.
Anthony Meadows

Standing:

Cerebro
Appy DS
3x Simmy Award Winner, 2x Grade 1 winner (including Steward's Cup Dash), 4x Graded Stakes winner