James Dean hypo mate advice

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

James Dean hypo mate advice

Post by Stormy Peak »

I have a mare,
Onthewingsoflove
that out of 8 hypos got an -A with James Dean...and the rest were mostly B+ Hypos.

Horse
Abashiri B+
Danon Premium B-
Gleneagles B-
Gold Dream B+
Happy This Way B+
James Dean A-
Justify B+
Thermodynamic B+

She's listed as a Star Mare.... but her sire, Acclamation is more known for All Weather Routers

James Dean is a Dirt Router. And at $150,000 for his stud fee, it scares the heck out of me...lol.

She was bred to 2 of the 'B+' stallions...but the results are not impressive.
The Gold Dream Filly is a flat Claimer type.
The Abashiri filly is a solid and at age 3 still hasn't done better than 3rd.

If I bred this mare to James Dean, I would go for a colt...

My question is... given her sire was All Weather... would I be making a bad decision in breeding her to a dirt router...especially such an expensive one? Would the resulting foal more likely be a dirt horse or is it like a half and half chance it could be either?

I don't know that much about All Weather or Dirt route racing...so if anyone who's bred a lot of either has in input I would appreciate your thoughts on this. : )

Also, the mare was a gift to me, so I didn't do any of the hypos, nor did I race her. Maybe at heart she was a dirt router, rather than an all weather runner?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Re: James Dean hypo mate advice

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago My question is... given her sire was All Weather... would I be making a bad decision in breeding her to a dirt router...especially such an expensive one? Would the resulting foal more likely be a dirt horse or is it like a half and half chance it could be either?
He would be a dirt router. To have a chance to get high enough numbers on both dirt and all-weather you'd have to breed her to a stallion able to throw runners on both surfaces. Acclamation could throw runners on any surface routing and it's likely his (and your mare's) dirt ability connecting with James Dean for the A- nick.
Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago Also, the mare was a gift to me, so I didn't do any of the hypos, nor did I race her. Maybe at heart she was a dirt router, rather than an all weather runner?
Maybe. She has a lot of dirt route ability in her pedigree but her workouts over 5f dirt wasn't overwhelming (keeping in mind that workout times may be of less importance for improvers and/or late bloomers over stayer distances).

I understand your hesitation regarding James Dean's stud fee. If it were me (and if I dearly wanted to try dirt) I would send her to a generally high nicking, high quality dirt route stallion with a stellar all-dirt pedigree on a mid-range stud fee (or low if you could find one). If she can throw nice colt runners (able to earn money equaling James Dean's stud fee) with such kind of stallion she would have a theoretical chance to do it with James Dean (and his peers) too. I think - with her- it probably depends on what kind of speed/brilliance/overall talent she's able to infuse into her offspring rather than which stallion you chose. Good luck with either path!
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I wouldn't breed her to James Dean. There's plenty of A- hypos out of star mares in the dirt route division that gallop claimer. It's one piece of the equation, but not the only piece. I agree with Ash that a better bet would be to find another dirt route stallion that has a lower fee. Her pedigree, to be honest, is distance confused, and her pedigree is light under the first three dams, which is the other reason I wouldn't spend a lot of money this go-round on a dirt router. Now, if that foal gallops better, you've got more information, and more confidence, to spend more money and shoot a little higher.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I think I will stick to an all weather stallion...at least that would match up with what her sire was the best at producing. I also think that since she had 2 fillies, maybe I'll try for a colt and see if that ends up better, and I'll see how that foal does...and if it's not so great, I can always next year try her out with a dirt router stallion and see if tht works any better.

Another reason, I forget to mention why I was very curious about James Dean, is that he's probably going to be pensioned before long... he's like 12 years old now. So I kind of had that 'now or never' thought going through my mind when looking at that A- hypo.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

If you're going breed her with an AW Router, I would suggest Thermodynamic. That covers both Dirt and All Weather surfaces. I think that would give you a better idea of what type of mare you have. While Acclamation's top runners are All Weather, your mare's dam side doesn't really show much, if any, AW.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I'll look into Thermodynamic, thanks for the suggestion. : )

---
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Her dirt numbers are ridiculously good. It's possible she totally missed her calling.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago Her dirt numbers are ridiculously good. It's possible she totally missed her calling.
That settled it, didn't it? :)
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ash Tarasin wrote: 4 years ago
The Steward wrote: 4 years ago Her dirt numbers are ridiculously good. It's possible she totally missed her calling.
That settled it, didn't it? :)
It appears so.

Thanks Em : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'm more boggled that she couldn't break her maiden in the two tries... but she does want about 19 miles.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

So about 3 years from now can we have a drastic increase in 2 1\2 mile races? : )

-------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, I decided to breed her to a marathoner type sire... not sure if going with a plodder is the right thing to do, but if I'm wrong, I guess next year I can try a sire that was more apt to run 1 1/4 miles rather than one more comfortable at 2 mile races.

This is the colt:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1150208&

I'm kind of hoping he'll be a good marathoner.

His sire has really nice percentages in siring allowance and stakes horses, and he's sired a good number of millionaire runners...so I hope he's a good match for the mare. They hypoed B+ with each other.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

UPDATE:

As mentioned in the last post I made, I decided to breed this mare who appeared to be an all weather router, to a dirt router stallion (Hold Above) instead of an all weather one -- this based upon a comment by the Steward in this thread.

I named the colt, Aloft

He galloped out as a stakes type :D
He also got the comment that he should progress throughout his career.

But... if he takes after his mom, I'll need to find races like 19 miles long. I wonder if the Steward could set up like the Hidalgo Stakes...a 20 Mile Survival Marathon. lol.

I am hoping he will be a high enough stakes quality to win some stake races, but with the dirt routers being so fierce in this game..I'm not going to hope too much for any GI wins with him, given how awesome the dirt router freaks are that he would be competing against. I just want to see him win back this breeding fee of $50,000 plus $ome. : )

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000