Year 54 Dave Matthews Band

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Year 54 Dave Matthews Band

Post by Danny Derby »

Nothing against Jon who I'm sure is well intentioned in this endeavor, but I HATE this. I want a stallion to have a fair stud fee and open access, and I don't enjoy having to jump through all sorts of hoops for the privilege of sending a mare to them. It makes planning breedings that much more stressful and has me wasting far more time on it.

And what if other stallions follow suit? I can't imagine the hassle of having to play games with a dozen owners and figure out when exactly to breed mares one at a time just to get them to the stallions I'd normally just send them to.

Afraid that he'll fill up instantly if you open up his breedings? Set a high enough stud fee to mitigate that. Don't want to shut out players who can't afford a higher stud fee? Offer them discounted or free breedings based on your contests.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Derby is about to get Dave Matthews Banned. Haha. Just kidding. Personally I think it’s a charming way to control the book of easily the best horse at stud
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

When you have only one DR broodmare, such as myself, who looks like a good fit with DMB, I guess it is hard to get on the list. I do believe though an owner is entitled to use his horses as he/she sees fit. By the way she is a blue hen that is 3 for 3 stakes.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Derby is about to get Dave Matthews Banned. Haha. Just kidding. Personally I think it’s a charming way to control the book of easily the best horse at stud
LOVE the idea Jon!
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Last edited by Danny Derby 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I vote two thumbs up! Jon is trying to give everyone a chance to breed to what is sure to be the next James Dean, so to speak. And he seems to find a way to reward people who use his studs, so I say well done sir!
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 4 years ago I vote two thumbs up! Jon is trying to give everyone a chance to breed to what is sure to be the next James Dean, so to speak. And he seems to find a way to reward people who use his studs, so I say well done sir!
Yeah, but my point is that anyone could go and breed to the current James Dean right now with zero hassle. How exactly is this better?
Kris Bobby
Classic Contender

Post by Kris Bobby »

I am in agreement with the majority here, I love what Jon is doing. I know he put a ton of thought into this. I believe Jon is trying to give the so-called "small stables" a chance at his terrific stallion. Maybe he believes that if he left DMB available to all, then the "mass breeders" would send 50+ mares to him in a short time, thus shutting out the rest of the SIM? I think that is a legitimate concern and Jon, in his own unique way, is trying to prevent that.

I applaud jX
Last edited by Kris Bobby 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RELAX, it's Just a Game
Kris Bobby
Classic Contender

Post by Kris Bobby »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago I think this is great, and fun spirited. Which is much needed in the game. I’m just going to come right out and say it...but when I read about the fate of The People’s Horse in the Edge a couple weeks back, it left me wondering which direction the game was headed. So kudos to Jon for thinking outside the box here, for whatever it’s worth. 🙂
Hello Emmie,
In regard to The People's Horse, I feel terrible for those that wanted to use him. In retrospect, I probably should have simply given him to someone who wanted to stand him. I simply didn't want him in my stable for the same reason I retired him abruptly before he won a bunch of other races. I apologize to all those that can no longer breed to him.

Sorry for changing the subject! Let's just keep singing jX's praises :)
RELAX, it's Just a Game
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

I think this is a fun way to do it, and I am wondering how to get on the list as I have a mare with an A hypo I’d very much like to breed to him!
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I like what Jon is doing, it is a bit of sparkle & fresh air, and such a nice change from the griping, whining and sniping that so much of the Forum has become. It is Jon's horse to stand, and stand as he wants to. This has been enjoyable to watch. You go, Jon!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

It's Xetter, of course he is gonna do something cool! duh When I grow up I'd like to be half as cool as he is. ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Emmie Kay wrote: 4 years ago
Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago
Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Derby is about to get Dave Matthews Banned. Haha. Just kidding. Personally I think it’s a charming way to control the book of easily the best horse at stud
LOVE the idea Jon!
I think this is great, and fun spirited. Which is much needed in the game. I’m just going to come right out and say it...but when I read about the fate of The People’s Horse in the Edge a couple weeks back, it left me wondering which direction the game was headed. So kudos to Jon for thinking outside the box here, for whatever it’s worth. 🙂
I don’t know that what happened with The People’s Horse is necessarily a bad thing or even comparable to this...
yeah
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

If Jon can do what he wants with DMB, I don’t see why the new owners of The People’s Horse can’t do what they want with him.

Seems there is a negative light when it comes to the Knatz/Escobar/JR Smith partnership and there studs, but they purchased them fair and square.

There are lots of very viable studs to use. We should not get caught up on one stud. If something is not available I just move on to the next. Simple.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Dylan Christensen wrote: 4 years ago

I think this is great, and fun spirited. Which is much needed in the game. I’m just going to come right out and say it...but when I read about the fate of The People’s Horse in the Edge a couple weeks back, it left me wondering which direction the game was headed. So kudos to Jon for thinking outside the box here, for whatever it’s worth. 🙂
I don’t know that what happened with The People’s Horse is necessarily a bad thing or even comparable to this...
I didn’t compare the two situations. I’m saying this is a very cool and different way to handle a nice stud.

But on the topic of what happened with The People’s Horse, agree to disagree.
Sorry I read it as you comparing the two lol but yeah, agree to disagree
yeah