Selecting foal gender.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Selecting foal gender.

Post by Willowcreek Farms »

Just a question on how many times per season one can choose the gender of your foal.
Cheers, Carsten
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Re: Selecting foal gender.

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

As many times as you want as long as the ratio of fillies to colts is 50:50.

So if you breed 100 foals you can select 50 fillies and 50 colts or 100 colts. But not 100 fillies.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

For some reason it gets blocked at a certain point in the season. I was only allowed to chose a filly about 5-6 times. Odd!
“ A lot of it is out of your hands and the more you do this the more you realize this."
-Chad Brown
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Last season I bred 11 foals (small sample size), but I chose each gender and went with 9 fillies and 2 colts
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I believe the first 10-20 foals can be fillies, after that you have to have equal more more colts before you can breed a filly!

I generally do random gender now, so I can’t remember the start number for fillies at the moment 😅
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I think you can breed your first 15 however you like. But then once you start breeding the 16th foal it will only allow you to breed the gender that you have less of.

For example, if like me you start with 15 fillies, I then have to breed 15 colts before I can breed a filly again.

Pretty sure thats how it works.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Mike Springer
Classic Contender

Post by Mike Springer »

My first 20 foals last season were fillies. After that point the filly option was greyed out.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The magic number is 20. Once you have bred 20 fillies you are forced to choose colts only until the ratio is 50/50.

However if you breed to a GP stud you can continue choosing fillies all day and all night long :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago The magic number is 20. Once you have bred 20 fillies you are forced to choose colts only until the ratio is 50/50.

However if you breed to a GP stud you can continue choosing fillies all day and all night long :)
Would that include both game generated and me generated fillies to make up the 20 fillies? I bred 58 foals last season, 36 fillies and 22 colts. I bred I think 6 fillies where I chose the gender. After that I was blocked and the SIM kept spitting out fillies. At one point it was so scued to fillies that there was about a 20 foal difference between fillies and colts. So I never got to a 50:50 ratio at all.

My point being, I have about 30-40 mares to breed, 10 of which are 16yo+ of which I want fillies. The rest I want random gender assignments as that is how I prefer to play it. How do I go about doing this as I can't be blocked before I reach my 10 fillis as the sire I want to breed to will be pensioned some time soon I imagine.
-Chad Brown
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Game point foals don't count towards the totals, either colts or fillies (the non game point totals show up when you go to breed a non game point foal). For the non-game point foals, you can choose the gender for the first 20 foals, or go random. That said, if you don't lay the groundwork during those 20, you can dig yourself into a hole, as there needs to be at least 50% colts before you get the option to choose a filly (you CAN go random, which may result in another filly, but also results in breeding yet another colt before you get back to the 50/50 ratio where you can deliberately pick filly). You can always pick colt, regardless of how skewed you are in favor of colts. You can also always pick random.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

C.S. Werth wrote: 4 years ago
Pete Vella wrote: 4 years ago The magic number is 20. Once you have bred 20 fillies you are forced to choose colts only until the ratio is 50/50.

Would that include both game generated and me generated fillies to make up the 20 fillies? I bred 58 foals last season, 36 fillies and 22 colts. I bred I think 6 fillies where I chose the gender. After that I was blocked and the SIM kept spitting out fillies. At one point it was so scued to fillies that there was about a 20 foal difference between fillies and colts. So I never got to a 50:50 ratio at all.

My point being, I have about 30-40 mares to breed, 10 of which are 16yo+ of which I want fillies. The rest I want random gender assignments as that is how I prefer to play it. How do I go about doing this as I can't be blocked before I reach my 10 fillis as the sire I want to breed to will be pensioned some time soon I imagine.
It looks like you have 3 fillies now. If the next 10 foals you breed are fillies, you'll be fine. If you hit the random, and end up with more fillies than colts by the time you hit 20 total foals, you'll have to breed colts until you're back in a 50/50 balance.
Willowcreek Farms
Classic Contender

Cool. Thanks Laura and Pete for the help. I think I have it sussed now.
-Chad Brown