Standing Stallion Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Standing Stallion Question

Post by J.P Dogood »

So this is my third sim year and have never had a horse good enough to stand. Needless to say I think it is tricky to gain good money with a smaller barn and without one of these horses. That being said I also have a strange attachment to certain mares, even when they retire and it does not look like they will be good broodmares. Is this a new player thing? Like when you have a ton of sim money and horses do you stop caring about your weaker ones or do you still want to breed them? Conversely, I also got my hands on a retired horse who I could stand at stud but he's not a stakes winner but comes from a pretty impressive family (both sides). Is it plausible to pay the 50k and set the stud fee at 500 or 1000 dollars and make a little money or is it highly unlikely people breed to those horses? Thanks in advance!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Standing Stallion Question

Post by Carole Hanson »

Do you have a link to the horse? I think if the horse wasn’t that good on the racetrack, despite a good pedigree, it’s not worth it to stand the horse. He probably won’t bring in much interest and he’s unlikely to produce anything good.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I keep certain mares that have low BA comments, only when they are really well bred, other than that I'm at the point I only keep formidable+ broodmares, I have 1 good broodmare and that's one I refuse to pension because of her bloodlines.

As far as your stallion, no, I don't think he's worth the 50k, it'd be highly unlikely you'd make that back
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

His link is here. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=887597
Far from a game-changer on the track but see what I mean about the family? Ive also seen a stud reach into the 100ks on the stallion page making only $500 a pop but I think those are few and far between?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Yea he has a nice pedigree but especially in the dirt router division he won’t get any mares and I really doubt he’ll see any success I’m afraid. Plenty of horses out there who have similar pedigrees but didn’t amount to much on the track or in the shed. Plus, I recommend that you shouldn’t ever stand a horse that never won a stakes race.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Your stallion does indeed have a great family, but I also think the chances for Brightroar himself to become a great racehorse with that pedigree were much greater than it will be for his foals, since he hasn't got much speed, talent or quality to offer his offspring. As an owner of broodmares I would be more than hesitant sending my mares to a stallion not having proved himself many times over on the track. There are plenty stallions with decent race records (millionaires, G1-winners) and great families with not very costly stud fees already and not even that would guarantee you'd get the invested 50k back.

"That being said I also have a strange attachment to certain mares, even when they retire and it does not look like they will be good broodmares. Is this a new player thing?"
No, I think we all have that do some degree. Learning to calculate risks and when to let go of broodmares and racehorses at the right time is part of learning the game. Sometimes we keep shrugging off accumulated knowledge anyway since we want things to be different. Part of being human instead of an AI. :)
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

There is a good FAQ on standing stallions here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11128
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

He sadly has no worth as a breeding stallion. He didn't meet the minimum thresholds as mentioned (multiple stakes winner, $350k in earnings). There are a bunch of stallions who did meet those bars are who are bad/not very useful stallions, so don't put yourself through the pain of supporting a bad stallion. You would be very lucky to make back the $50k you would have to pay, and your more likely to end up underwater trying to support him. He is a prime example of a horse that might have been a nice gelding.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

I appreciate all the responses. Now it will only cost me 2 bucks instead of 50k