Stud Book Update

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Stud Book Update

Post by Carole Hanson »

That makes sense thanks! I knew what the median was but I wasn't sure how the SIM calculated it. Thank you both again!
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Now what I don't know and what would be of interest is if yearlings and or foals are included in that calculation.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Andrew James wrote: 3 years ago Now what I don't know and what would be of interest is if yearlings and or foals are included in that calculation.
Pretty sure they only count horses that have actually raced
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I don't think so, if you look at Shine Bright, he only has 3 foals racing right now and the median is $27,900 which is the earnings of his 2nd best horse of 3
https://www.simhorseracing.com/studbook ... eID=963292

I think it just doesn't count unraced horses but does count those with no earnings.
Garylynn Farms
Classic Contender

Post by Garylynn Farms »

Has of when i last checked they aren’t counting the runner that haven’t earned anything, they are only basing it off the earners. I also noticed on when there is an even number they are basing it off the middle +1 instead of taking the 2 middle numbers and dividing them by 2. Example if you had the numbers 6,5,4,3,2,1 the median would be 3.5, the way its be calculated in the game the median would be 3.
“I’ve been involved in a number of cults, both a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower, but you make more money as a leader."
-Creed Bratton-
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

Garylynn Farms wrote: 3 years ago Has of when i last checked they aren’t counting the runner that haven’t earned anything, they are only basing it off the earners. I also noticed on when there is an even number they are basing it off the middle +1 instead of taking the 2 middle numbers and dividing them by 2. Example if you had the numbers 6,5,4,3,2,1 the median would be 3.5, the way its be calculated in the game the median would be 3.
We are not including entries that didn't get any earnings. It is only based on horses that have earnings.

You are correct, I am not averaging when there are an even number of data points. I was lazy.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Thanks all for your explanations! Much appreciated.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Just curious if the median earnings will go into the rankings list, I think it is a more accurate indicator as it filters out the extremes, simple example S if you have 3 earners , 25k, 50k and 300k , the avg earner made 125k, but you see in the sample that your horse based on those results would earn less than 125k 2 out of 3 times, the median here is 50k which more accurately gives the indication how well your typical horse will do
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Its not really more accurate. The 50k might have been from a first run by a Freak in a G3 stakes. You have to look more closely at the earnings and 3 is too small a sample size to draw any conclusions from. If you wanted to be more accurate you'd not use the total earnings but the average earnings per run.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

There’s lots of other considerations of course, that 50k could be a 2yo or 6yo but I only used 3 ratings to explain the concept, of course just 3 ratings in themselves tell you next to nothing