Thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding?

Post by Stormy Peak »

I usually focus more on mares rather than the stallions when I do inbreeding with my horses, I always hope to get the best of the best of the filly lines and thus have great broodmares develop from it.

This one is one of my latest inbreds.
Tone Toned x Forethought were parents to both the dam of this filly (Faded Memories), and the top side grand-dam (Foreshock).

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1282347

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

If I like the cross I do 2x3 - I've done a lot more of them last year than prior years and overall my gallop % improved slightly from when I was doing more outcrosses. Overall, I do seem to get the best results with a 3x3 (my freak yearling Star I See Tonight is a 3x3 to King Kamehameha)
I'm just here for the fun of it
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

I don't have any thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding, but I do have thoughts about my recent discovery that when I thought I was doing 3x3 crosses, they were actually 4x4 crosses, which left me pretty cross.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Stormy Peak wrote: 3 years ago I usually focus more on mares rather than the stallions when I do inbreeding with my horses, I always hope to get the best of the best of the filly lines and thus have great broodmares develop from it.
This thread is titled "Too Much Inbreeding" and might be a "blast from the past" for Stormy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36775&p=333930#p333825

It talks a lot about inbreeding and has some useful comments from Ara Davies who seems to have been the Queen of Inbreeding in the sim before going inactive on the forums. She has a very realistic explanation for why it's preferrred to inbreed to mares than stallions.

Also in this thread, Cleo made this comment: "So back in 2012, Em was swamped by something (can't remember exactly what the circumstances were) and I helped her breed a large percentage of her turf routers. Gojira was one of them. I found out during that experience (and she has said it publicly since) that inbreeding to blue hen mares 3x3, 3x4 or 4x4 is a really great idea. Gojira, for example, is 3x4 to Kismet (and we all love Kismet!)."

Notice the 3x4 and 4x4 mentions. I've seen them in other places, too. We keep getting told the sim only "counts" 3 generations of pedigree, but I keep seeing mentions of 4th generation of pedigrees counting in breeding. It leads me to wonder if the sim counts generations differently for racing and breeding.

A lot of horses run on race day, so counting back 3 generations is faster and more efficient. While a lot of foals are bred, there's still a lot less breeding than racing. So, the server could handle counting 3 generations of the mare's pedigree, and also 3 generations of the sire's pedigree (which would be a 4-generation pedigree for the foal). But that's all speculative.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Gwen, that was fun to go back and read that thread again.

I enjoy reading the opinions of others here when it comes to this game.

Here's to two -headed horses *raises a glass*

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Memento Mori is 2x3 to Can't Live in Fear. If you want to go on the mixer side of things Jordy is also 2x3 and has been a fantastic stud (considering his division.) I think if you look at the mixers you'll see a lot more inbreeding overall and so far there's no 2 headed horses lol.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 3 years ago Memento Mori is 2x3 to Can't Live in Fear. If you want to go on the mixer side of things Jordy is also 2x3 and has been a fantastic stud (considering his division.) I think if you look at the mixers you'll see a lot more inbreeding overall and so far there's no 2 headed horses lol.
Thanks for the examples! As I said in my original post I had also seen it mostly in Mixers, but then I'm also not looking at that many pedigrees of other horses tbh. I suppose it really doesn't matter much other than the usual inbreeding risk of doubling down on the negative traits. It's probably more of a personal preference, if I have the time I'll probably try to experiment with it a little more down the road. :)