Thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding?

Post by Lisa Bennert »

I was wondering what the more succesful breeders are thinking about having a horse inbred 2x3 to a very good horse?

When I started the game I went in with a mindset I got from a source (about real life breeding) that said when you add the numbers of generations you should always get at least "6" (as in, 2x4 and 3x3 is fine). But I have seen some good horses here that are inbred 2x3, most of the time to an influential stallion, and I have done it a couple times (mostly with top mixer stallions when I didn't find an alternative) and it seemed to turn out fine.

The reason I'm asking is because I got this blue hen through a deal, and my first thought was going to Night's Quiet, because he crosses well with Sidney mares and is just great all around, but the foal would be 2x3 to Shahir'ra. I'd really appreciate any input from the better thoroughred breeders, because I s*ck at breeding them, lol
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts on 2x3 inbreeding?

Post by Danny Derby »

https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1172317 tells me that severe inbreeding doesn't really matter.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1172317 tells me that severe inbreeding doesn't really matter.
Maybe Jon was inspired by watching the movie, DELIVERANCE?
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.p ... ID=1172317 tells me that severe inbreeding doesn't really matter.
Huh, I should've seen that one, thanks for pointing it out. Guess I'm probably overthinking the issue then.

Now that I've already opened the topic, though, do y'all think Night's Quiet is a good match? (yes, almost 20 Sim years of unsuccesfully breeding thoroughbreds have made me rather insecure, lol)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I really don't like 2 x 3 myself, but you're seeing it a lot more in real life horses now than you did before. Enable is one example of a pretty darn good 2 x 3.

But I aim for 3 x 3 myself.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

I think at some point it was said that inbreeding is going to magnify the good of a horse but also the bad. So I would think hard about the horse you are inbreeding 2x3 to but it certainly can be done and I think there are plenty of examples of successful 2x3 inbreeding in the sim. My own example (which admitted is from many years ago) was Dr. Stawickery. with Afraid to Want being a mare you wanted to inbreed to.

Also someone could correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure in the sim 2x4 doesn't count as inbreeding as the 4th generation of pedigrees isn't counted towards a foal only the first 3.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I bred This filly last night. I actually liked the Doctor inbreeding. I thought it might work well future broodmare wise. Its all a cr@p shoot but what ya gonna do?
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Is it better to inbreed with Stallions or Mares?
I feel like inbreeding to stallions are little less https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYuxuOU-Nw
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Strong and Free is a 2x3 and he turned out alright ;)

One winter, I think it was four SIM years ago, I was bored and compiled some TS pedigree data. Sirelines, female families, inbreeding data, etc. of recent (at the time) GSW's/known freak gallopers. I got to 70 entries in the database before I got busy with other things.

8 of the 70 were inbred 2x3, the majority being crosses of Reach for the Moon, generally SYM to a RFTM mare, including Dancin Nancy and Ollie Wolf. Only one was inbred to a female, but I don't think this is by design, just by lack of opportunity (the true foundation mares in this division are few and far between.)
Only three of the 70 were 3x3s, and the vast majority had at least half their cross pushed back to the fourth gen or further, thus invalidating it, sort of.

That being said, I've tried several times to cross to nice Steward mares and I don't think it's resulted in a top performer for me... yet. But you better believe I'll be making Deschutes crosses all over the place when this retires.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago Is it better to inbreed with Stallions or Mares?
I feel like inbreeding to stallions are little less https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYuxuOU-Nw
:lol:
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

I have questions:
1. for a 1x2x3, so do I breed this nice mare, https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1192583 to Dave Matthews Band to get the first 3-eyed Louisville Oaks winner?
2. for 3x2 v. 2x3, whatever it takes, is this 'better way to deliverance'; https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1279750
3. or is this messy 4x4 best for speed and endurance, https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/70/1d ... 6d2465.jpg

Raven’s pedigree is not advisable at 3x1, I now know. And if it were too inbred there should be a pop-up message stating Three Head Alert or at least banjo music. I get the jokes and laughter now. Recently, I tried to make amends for my gaff by making a 3 x 2 to Felt As Recently colt. Wouldn't it be funny if 'joke colt' Raven won a stakes race or two and the coveted 3x1 colt becomes a lonely maiden batchelor gelding? jX
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

I'm sorry I missed the boat, not picking Raven in my TCT!
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Now that I've already opened the topic, though, do y'all think Night's Quiet is a good match? (yes, almost 20 Sim years of unsuccesfully breeding thoroughbreds have made me rather insecure, lol)
Now, 2 x 3 is supposed to be less than 3 x 2, which was news to me. 3 x 2 is coveted in real life. SIM is somewhat like real life in many ways. I'd find a sire that is a total outcross with headshots in the pedigree, look at the 2 x 3 pedigree and flip a coin. That freaky girl mare is real nice. Thanks for asking your question. jX
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Thanks so much for all the input!
I'm still not quite sure what I'll do with her, but I still have a few days to figure it out and now I have some nice additional insights :)
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Being the novice that I am, I like a three generation outcross.

With an occasional dash of the Steward's 3x3 special recipe!