Short DR/Mile Breeding Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Short DR/Mile Breeding Question

Post by J.P Dogood »

Had a quick question that I am looking for advice on. Just got my hands on a formidable mare that I wanted because I liked the pedigree. She is by Doctor Who and likely has his dirt miler ability. She never ran at this distance but never fared too well at the short route distances. I figured since she is formidable with good pedigree, she would hypo B+ to most DR sires, I hypo'd her to Vortex and she did just that. But I was curious so I hypo'd her to one of my favorite DM sires (Dubai Touchdown) and she hypo'd B+ again.

So the question is straight forward. Where do I send her? Her previous foals havent done much so not really sure what to do. I think the cross to Dubai Touchdown is interesting/fun but do not really feel like throwing away 40k for nothing. I know all breeding is a shot in the dark but any previous experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,
J.P
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Short DR/Mile Breeding Question

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I would try a stallion that has DR and DM ability 🥰
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

I am not really aware of any that do both (no access to the stud book) when I go looking through bloodlines it’s usually one or the other. I knew Auston Matthews used to stand and he was successful at running both but don’t think he did much in terms of progeny.
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Hey JP,

there are lots of stallions that do both DR and DM. Marvel, Kentucky Wildcat, Achievement, Slickrock, Dragon and Pegasus to name a few.

Fwiw my best two racers from Doctor Who mares have both come from Dragon and Pegasus. I also have a decent router by A Million Dreams.

From what I've seen in my barn Doctor Who mares tend to like to produce one or the other rather than produce foals that can do both. But Rochelle's strategy makes sense. Breed her to one that does both and work the resulting baby at both 4 and 5 furlongs. That should give you some intelligence on which way the mare leans.

Goodluck.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

There definitely is sense to it for sure. I am starting to think thats the direction I will head in. Thanks as always everyone.
Richard Diemand
Sprinter

Post by Richard Diemand »

CONSTITUTION :roll:
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Andrew is spot on (as usual!). Dragon and Pegasus is a great sire for this type of mare. I've had a lot of success with him.