Eric Gray article on hypo's

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Eric Gray article on hypo's

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I thought it would be interesting to open to general discussion - I already messaged him that we wish the correlation was so direct - an "A+ hypo = freak";

I went through my freak and stakes galloping yearlings - my one freak was out of a "good" broodmare with a B+ hypo mate, as was one of my stakes gallopers. I have not gone back to look at all of the yearlings's hypos that I did, but I know one of my A hypo's was an allowance.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Eric Gray article on hypo's

Post by Carole Hanson »

I recently retired an A hypo allowance/peak filly that ended up being formidable.

My best mare to date was a formidable that only threw out B hypos (apart from one B+) but produced 2 SC winners and 6 millionaires.

Hypos are kind of useless in my opinion.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

I don't want anyone to think that I thought there was a direct connection between hypos and gallops. I was just using that as a starting point. When it comes down to it, we can look for the best possible matches, but it still come at least somewhat, down to luck. You can breed DMB and a hen together and still get a claimer. Conversly, I would imagine that a maiden stud and an unpredictable mare could in theory, produce a freak. I was just thinking that a higher hypo should be hoped for, at least, to produce a higher quality progeny. I had some fun doing the research and I do intend to continue in the future as my breeding increases, and hopefully, improves. Like you said when you messaged me, I rarely breed lower than a B +. This year, I have quite a few more A- and above than I did last year so I am crossing my fingers.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Eric Gray wrote: 3 years ago I don't want anyone to think that I thought there was a direct connection between hypos and gallops. I was just using that as a starting point. When it comes down to it, we can look for the best possible matches, but it still come at least somewhat, down to luck. You can breed DMB and a hen together and still get a claimer. Conversly, I would imagine that a maiden stud and an unpredictable mare could in theory, produce a freak. I was just thinking that a higher hypo should be hoped for, at least, to produce a higher quality progeny. I had some fun doing the research and I do intend to continue in the future as my breeding increases, and hopefully, improves. Like you said when you messaged me, I rarely breed lower than a B +. This year, I have quite a few more A- and above than I did last year so I am crossing my fingers.
Very true that Dave Matthews Band to a blue hen with an A+ hypo can give any gallop comment on the spectrum. Looking at his statistics/percentages however, this 'slide lottery' system within the SIM algorithms is designed to keep it real, be random, provide surprises, present disappointments and cause real human emotions.

Everyday, folks try to chip away at the magical math and document that the sword has been pulled from the stone. SIM is an amazing game. The lows simply make the highs that much more enjoyable. The disappointments after such careful planning make the enjoyment of true surprises so much more sweet. SIM is a moving math target that cannot be solved in its entirety - a three card monty game, a Las Vegas magic act, a back alley game of craps, a satisfying diversion - nothing more and so much more. The fun is in the hunt for the key. I hope you all find your key. jX
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Jon Xett wrote: 3 years ago
Eric Gray wrote: 3 years ago I don't want anyone to think that I thought there was a direct connection between hypos and gallops. I was just using that as a starting point. When it comes down to it, we can look for the best possible matches, but it still come at least somewhat, down to luck. You can breed DMB and a hen together and still get a claimer. Conversly, I would imagine that a maiden stud and an unpredictable mare could in theory, produce a freak. I was just thinking that a higher hypo should be hoped for, at least, to produce a higher quality progeny. I had some fun doing the research and I do intend to continue in the future as my breeding increases, and hopefully, improves. Like you said when you messaged me, I rarely breed lower than a B +. This year, I have quite a few more A- and above than I did last year so I am crossing my fingers.
Very true that Dave Matthews Band to a blue hen with an A+ hypo can give any gallop comment on the spectrum. Looking at his statistics/percentages however, this 'slide lottery' system within the SIM algorithms is designed to keep it real, be random, provide surprises, present disappointments and cause real human emotions.

Everyday, folks try to chip away at the magical math and document that the sword has been pulled from the stone. SIM is an amazing game. The lows simply make the highs that much more enjoyable. The disappointments after such careful planning make the enjoyment of true surprises so much more sweet. SIM is a moving math target that cannot be solved in its entirety - a three card monty game, a Las Vegas magic act, a back alley game of craps, a satisfying diversion - nothing more and so much more. The fun is in the hunt for the key. I hope you all find your key. jX
I agree with everything said here, Jon. But, I know those two A hypo foals I've got from DMB and two star mares are going to be FREAKS though!! Right? I mean, Right???? Please tell me I'm right!!!!! LOL.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

I agree with everything said here, Jon. But, I know those two A hypo foals I've got from DMB and two star mares are going to be FREAKS though!! Right? I mean, Right???? Please tell me I'm right!!!!! LOL.

Yes. Another great built in fact of SIM is hope and anticipation. But, if in the unlikely scenario your foals start out as stakes or , *gasp in horror* only allowance types or worse, no need to toss them out with the organic hay. Work with them since good things sometimes happen with care and patience. Thanks for playing SIM and for your contributions to the game. jX
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

Ive gotten a few A+ hypos this year. I had one last year also. that breeding ended up as an allowance.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Carolyn Eaton wrote: 3 years ago I thought it would be interesting to open to general discussion - I already messaged him that we wish the correlation was so direct - an "A+ hypo = freak";

I went through my freak and stakes galloping yearlings - my one freak was out of a "good" broodmare with a B+ hypo mate, as was one of my stakes gallopers. I have not gone back to look at all of the yearlings's hypos that I did, but I know one of my A hypo's was an allowance.
Congrats on the freak :D.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100