Anna Liza says "good broodmare"

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What I do with my unpredictible mares:

Rage pension and GP
16%
Try to sell for a few Sim$
No votes
Breed a couple of seasons to see if they throw anything that can run
53%
Keep to breed cheap and bad colts to even out that colt/filly ratio
16%
I don't spend my money on the BSA
5%
What are you talking about? If she says "good" it is good
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 19

Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Anna Liza says "good broodmare"

Post by Ma Springs »

You retire that decent allowance mare by one of the better stallions. You show her to Anna Liza who tells you she "should be a good broodmare". :x

My problem is that I don't want to fill my barn with tons of likely claimer producers. But I have a stakes galloping/winning filly from my first crop that I probably wouldn't have had if I had BSA checked the mare before I bred her. The first couple of seasons I didn't think I could afford to check them all and I went with a B+ hypo. I checked the mare a couple of seasons later and she apparently is unpredictible. So that example makes me a little uneasy to just discard the bad/good ones straight away....

Any thoughts? What do you do with yours? :)
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Anna Liza says "good broodmare"

Post by Laura Smith »

If they have a good pedigree and were useful on the track, I tend to give them a try once or twice.
If they hypo truly badly (and sometimes they do) get rid.
Average pedigree + average comment, I usually sell. I've missed out on breeding some decent horses this way, but I don't have time to give every mare a chance, unfortunately.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

A stakes galloping B+ mare I would have bred once just to see if her first foal is allowance or better or not. Also depending on how competetive she was on the track.
You may also have to consider the difference in risk/reward depending on division. In some divisions you may race claimers pretty easily. In others you may barely race stakes.
Last edited by Ash Tarasin 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

So, Lightning was a "good" broodmare. I checked other, because the rest of the picture really determines what I do. Top pedigree, stakes winner? You're going to get three tries. Top pedigree or pretty good pedigree and stakes winner? I may give a try or two, or offer up for free lease. Pretty good pedigree and decent race record, may put on the sales page for $500 in case someone else wants to give a try. Everyone else? Pension.
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

Thank you all, I aim to think like you do. 🙋‍♀️

Apparently I've retired three "good" TS allowance mares today. One is GP:d. The other two hypo B+ to the average stallion. We'll see about those.
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500