Breed my Best Mares pt.2

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Breed my Best Mares pt.2

Post by J.P Dogood »

I only run TBs so figured Wednesday was as good a time as any to do another one of these. This one I legitimately have NO IDEA who to breed her with. So without further ado...

Watching Balbina
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1066905

My first and only horse I ever raced and then got a blue hen so I am fairly attached to her. That being said, I simply do not follow the TR division enough to really know what to do. Her sire was The Watchtower who does not have a ton of broodmare sire production.
  • 3 foals to date, one allowance peak, and two claimer progressives
  • Hypo's B+ to Satono Moon, Summerland, and Yang Wenli
  • Her own dam (Balbina) failed to produce even a 6 figure earner
Per usual, any and all help here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Breed my Best Mares pt.2

Post by Ma Springs »

Since I still see myself as a newbie you shouldn't read much into this, but my head is too full of TR at the moment not to write...! 😊

When I can't get good clues out of a BM search I usually look for some nice bold text in the hypomate. I like to think that should have some chance of being a working match.

I would probably have tried Moon Faced or Speak With Fists (I guess I'm biased on the latter since he is standing in my barn), only based on argument above.

Will follow to see if I can learn something from other's real advice. 🙂 Good luck with the breeding this year! (Isn't it frustrating with those so called blue hens with no stakes runners to be found in the family...almost makes you wonder how they managed to get that label in the first place..!)
Last edited by Ma Springs 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I'm no TR expert, but i would suggest taking a shot at something with some staying power and looking for a longer-distance type; say One More Page or Deputy Governor. neither is pricey either so worth a gamble in my book.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Kaine Saracen
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kaine Saracen »

This mare is all sorts of bad news. Nothing better than a claimer as a racer. Hypo's like a low end star or high end formidable, while identifying as a blue hen... The dam line has not produced anything worth a damn in several generations.

Having said that, if you are going to try and get lucky, I would not be spending anything on the high priced studs... Not even the mid range ones honestly. I hypo'd a few to see where she stood and from those results, I would look for a decent producing stud that is in the lower range as a maximum fee. A quick look at the stud book and the one that stood out as the best option was Light Up Light Up. Although priced higher (25k) than what I think is ideal for the mare in question, it is still low enough to show a possible return if the resultant offspring is managed strategically. The stud hypo's B+ with her, which is effectively her majority hypo He has a proven record, having produced both freaks and multiple million dollar earners and there are enough 6 figure earners to give a little hope of getting lucky.

I believe there are better studs out there, but none priced to be as appealing in this instance.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

She is an incredibly frustrating mare to have. The Light Up Light Up idea is a good one for what you said. The 25k isnt back breaking but I see what you mean where it is hard to justify much money at all on her. As of right now I will book Light Up Light Up and see if anyone else has a good thought/idea