Bad Breeding Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Bad Breeding Question

Post by J.P Dogood »

I know there are examples in the Sim where unpredictable mares have given birth to future millionaires. I also assume if that mare is unpredictable she gives off some bad hypo's. My question is, does anyone have decent success with a flat B hypo? I have bred a few of them this year for one reason or another (well aware it likely wont yield good results) and I guess I am looking for any justification behind it.

Some examples of B hypos bred for me this year are below...

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1450165 fairly cheap longshot that could produce a cool multi-distance or surface runner. Dam line is nothing special but who doesnt like Le Vent daughters.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1448973 This one on the other hand has an awesome female line but a dam who literally couldnt find the finish line; plus a 3x3 to You Never Know
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Re: Bad Breeding Question

Post by Garret Folsom »

Sideshow was actually a B- hypo. At one time he had the 2nd fastest 5F workout on Turf.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Garret Folsom wrote: 2 years ago Sideshow was actually a B- hypo. At one time he had the 2nd fastest 5F workout on Turf.
Wow I actually don’t think I ever knew that. Crazy good slide. What a career.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago
Garret Folsom wrote: 2 years ago Sideshow was actually a B- hypo. At one time he had the 2nd fastest 5F workout on Turf.
Wow I actually don’t think I ever knew that. Crazy good slide. What a career.
Yeah, his dam was better that she showed (Em mentioned something about this on the Edge). I was new to the game and made horrible decisions with her. He was quite good, but also ran against some amazing horses check out the Year 45 Pegasus Turf race finishing order - Take Me Up, Sideshow, Coleman Hell, Reddington, Suzuka Silence, Peace Be With You, Ominous Tones, Time Limit, King George, Timelapse, Andy Loves April, House of Cards and Kaiju. Just an insane amount of talent there.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

I think I have just gotten to the point where I have had a bunch of A or A- hypos land me productive or worse where I am just going to go with my instincts and see if I get lucky really
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

I always find it interesting that most people say hypos do not matter. Yet, studs are almost always advertised with hypos and priced accordingly. I just take it to mean, you want your stud on average to have really high hypos to help with slides and attract the best mares, but feel free to send your mares to these top hypoing studs, even if your mare does not hypo well.

I really have no idea, if I'm being honest.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Durzo Blint wrote: 2 years ago I always find it interesting that most people say hypos do not matter. Yet, studs are almost always advertised with hypos and priced accordingly. I just take it to mean, you want your stud on average to have really high hypos to help with slides and attract the best mares, but feel free to send your mares to these top hypoing studs, even if your mare does not hypo well.

I really have no idea, if I'm being honest.
In regards to hypos and studs, until the foals have starting racing or gallop numbers appear there is no other means to determine how good a stud can be besides pedigree.

If we based things solely off pedigree and not off hypos, studs like DMB would never have really been what he is today as the outstanding hypos is what brought in the initial mares to give him the opportunity to show he can produce nice foals. It definitely was not the pedigree.

In regards to sending bad mares to nice hypoing studs just for a lucky slide? Not a strategy I would suggest unless you want to breed a lot of less than average foals.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago In regards to hypos and studs, until the foals have starting racing or gallop numbers appear there is no other means to determine how good a stud can be besides pedigree.

If we based things solely off pedigree and not off hypos, studs like DMB would never have really been what he is today as the outstanding hypos is what brought in the initial mares to give him the opportunity to show he can produce nice foals. It definitely was not the pedigree.

In regards to sending bad mares to nice hypoing studs just for a lucky slide? Not a strategy I would suggest unless you want to breed a lot of less than average foals.
Great points and thank you!!
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Dense Fog

B hypo, no potential mare, set the 3f AW record and bloomed to freak at the start of this season. His siblings are both different careers though lol
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Ironically his sire, Jabborwocky was a flat B hypo from an unpredictable mare.

Seth’s Resolve is the same, B hypo from an unprecedented mare.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

J.P Dogood wrote: 2 years ago I know there are examples in the Sim where unpredictable mares have given birth to future millionaires. I also assume if that mare is unpredictable she gives off some bad hypo's. My question is, does anyone have decent success with a flat B hypo? :o I have bred a few of them this year for one reason or another (well aware it likely wont yield good results) and I guess I am looking for any justification behind it.........
I think if there's some pedigree matching that you are really liking...go ahead and do it. It might not turn out well...but then...sometimes really weird things happen. My foundation mare, Foremost...gave me a pedigree line of just amazing turf routing fillies (and a few males in it too).

When we could finally see what kind of broodmare we ended up with (stars, blue hens..etc) -- out of curiosity I tested her, although she had been pensioned for years by then. She showed up as No Potential :o

Yet, she foaled a millionaire and a few others who earned over $500,000 and her foals foaled millionaires....and eventually this pedigree line produced the highest earning mare in the Sim, Roughian : )

I am rather relieved that I didn't have such information about Foremost's broodmare quality back then. We didn't have hypos back then either.

So, if you have the funds, and like to take chances every now and then, I don't think it's a bad idea to play around with pedigree matches that don't indicate the results will be spectacular.

I don't know how Foremost ended up with such great slides on 3 or 4 occasions...but it didn't just show up just as success on the track...but also continued as a pedigree line for Sim decades now. This year, I have two freaks from that line starting their 2 year old season... a male named Tuck Everlasting and a female named Malcontent. So I am hoping the line will go strong for years to come.

Foremost

So yeah, it might be worth it to give it a try from time to time...hope that if you do, it turns out successfully. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000