FFT Stallions Update - War Like Me is 13!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

FFT Stallions Update - War Like Me is 13!

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Last year was the final season for Castles Crumble, but the boys at First Faith Thoroughbreds will be growing in numbers again this year. Besides potentially three new Standardbred pacer stallions (check the harness forum for their info), there are three likely new retirees to the Thoroughbred side of things as well!

Headlining that group will be Dragon Reborn. In 17 starts to date, all in stakes company, this very consistent boy has never finished out of the money. He is an eight-time stakes winner, including 7 graded stakes at distances of 1 1/16 all the way to 1 1/2 miles. His sire is Triple Crown winner Dragonfly, who also has the outstanding producer Ring Leader and promising young sire Geologist in the shed, and he hails from the fantastic Tempest female family. His dam is the millionaire Sky Will Burn, making him a half brother to Louisville Oaks winning champion and graded stakes producer Day Will Break, as well as multiple graded stakes winners Pilgrim Shadow and In My Arms Again and graded stakes winner Fires of Heaven. This female family is hot right now. Sky Will Burn is a half sister to Steward's Cup winner, champion, and multimillionaire Sky Full of Stars (whose first foal is already a stakes winner and grade one placed) and potentially my best mare to date, the grade one placed Stars That Fall (first foal is multiple grade one winner Atlas Falls and she has three other late blooming stakes gallopers on the ground). Consistent, versatile, and tough with a dazzling pedigree, he may not have the flashy grade one wins, but he has absolutely earned his spot in the stallion barn. Fee to be determined, but likely in the range of $25,000.

I may be in trouble, as my turf mile division is quite small, but I am set to have my first ever turf mile stallion in Fight the Good Fight. He is the first freak turf miler I've ever bred and has been wickedly consistent in his career, including a grade one victory and a finish on the board in the Steward's Cup as a two year old. In 17 starts to date, he has been on the board in 14 and never out of the money, including two more graded stakes wins and another stakes. He has also finished second or third in six more grade ones. By Fanta Arcadia's very good Superbia, he is out of the Steelslayer daughter Zira, making him a half brother to grade one winning Sign in the Sky whose broodmare career is already off to a hot start with three exceptional foals on the ground. Zira is out of the grade one winner Sweet Monkey and a half sister to two multiple stakes winners. ALL of the first five dams in his tail female family have the distinction of being stakes producers, so this family just keeps on giving, even when it isn't expected to. Fee to be determined, but expecting it to be in the range of $15,000.

The final new stallion this year will be Fade to Blue. This colt is a perennial overachiever, being a stakes galloper that consistently outran a freak in his division from my barn. The champion three year old male in Asia from Y60, Fade to Blue is a two-time grade one winner with five other stakes victories and on the board finishes in three more grade one races. Only once out of the money in his 15 career starts, this lovely boy can always be counted on. He is a son of the very popular There There There who already has two sons making a splash in the breeding shed in Windborn and Be Right There. You can't ask for much more from his female family: his stakes winning grade one placed dam is a half sister to the likes of Brilliance, Like Diamonds, Leopard, Among Ghosts and Directing Our Fate, out of champion Witch's Familiar. This is another whose female family is an unbroken line of excellent stakes producers all the way back through Altibiir and Shentaan to Imagining. He will be available at the end of the year for a fee in the area of $20,000.

War Like Me had a great Year 61, with now four foals in his first two crops over $500k in earnings, capped off by Atlas Falls winning the G1 Los Campeones Classic. He has a total of 8 stakes winners in his first crop and an impressive 7 in his second crop (two year olds), including Juvenile Fillies runner up Elliebelle (there were an incredible FIVE Juvenile Fillies entrants sired by him). His fee remains at $100,000 and slots will be available at intervals throughout the year, similar to last season.

Can't Take the Sky got his first freaks in his second crop and another in his third, and has three winners from a very small handful of runners in his first, including the stakes placed Steward-bred Whitefall. I've done a poor job supporting him for his first couple of seasons at stud, but will hopefully do a better job moving forward. My yearling Browncoat looks exceptionally fancy with works under :57 and late bloomer status. His stud fee will remain at $40,000 for this season.

Wayward Son is still very much in the evaluative stage, but I'm fairly pleased with the few I've bred from him thus far. All are late bloomers that I'm waiting on, though I have a couple yearlings with comments relating to the breeding shed and insuring them! Amongst his 24 foals, only two of them are out of stakes producers, and he has still managed to scrape together some respectable gallopers. His stud fee has been reduced this season to a bargain $15,000.

Uncompahgre is in the same boat, and I've done an even worse job supporting him through his first couple crops. With my reduced breeding last season, I only managed to send him one mare (oops), but that colt is a late blooming allowance with the "insure" and "brave" comments, so I definitely need to help him out a bit more this season. His pedigree is peerless, and I have a couple more late blooming type youngsters that could be a bit fancy. Certainly worth a gamble at $15,000, as you won't find many millionaires better bred at that price point (and whose half brothers are young, all star sires). Don't let his gallop numbers fool you: he has only covered ONE stakes producer thus far in his career, which is largely my fault.
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 1 week ago, edited 5 times in total.
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Fade to Blue Officially Retired

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I think Fade to Blue has told me he's done running, and is therefore now retired. He was a very nice boy during his career, including earning a championship in Asia as a three-year-old.

He is hypoing VERY well with my so-so band of turf route mares and getting nicks only a tick behind the likes of Ivor and Brilliance. The mare, Ekraar, on that list only gets flat As with Brilliance and Hozier Daddy, A- to Obsidian Fury, Fade to Black, etc. (I tried to insert the image linked above on this post and it kept coming up with a broken hyperlink :x)

Standing for an introductory fee of $20,000. If you feel like sharing, please post your hypos here!

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: FFT Stallions Update - Fade to Blue Officially Retired

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Can't Take the Sky killing it with the gallop change! In my barn alone, he has two new freaks: Shoot Politely and Browncoat.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: FFT Stallions Update - Fade to Blue Officially Retired

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Fight the Good Fight is now retired, since he's basically lost all chance of hitting $1 million and my entire barn not named Dragon Reborn, Secondhand Heart or Atlas Falls can go to you-know-where. He hypos VERY nicely with my few TM mares, on par with his sire, Hempstead, etc, and is a half brother to another G1 winner, so give him a shot at $15k.
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Re: FFT Stallions Update - Dragon Reborn Coming Soon!

Post by Erin Sanderson »

It is almost that time. One of the most fun little horses I've ever campaigned, Dragon Reborn, will be making his final start in the Japan Trophy Dirt and taking one last shot at a grade one. He's up against freaks, as he has been his entire career, and that's OK. This so-called "stakes" galloper has beaten them numerous times before. In a career spanning soon to be 23 starts, if he finishes out of the money in Japan, it will be the first time he's ever done so. Remarkably consistent and versatile (he has won graded stakes from 1 1/16 to 1 1/2 miles), he also boasts an incredible pedigree and will be the first stallion standing from my absolutely red hot Tempest family. He is a half brother to stakes winners Pilgrim Shadow, Fires of Heaven and Day Will Break, the latter of whom is also a stakes producer. He is out of a millionaire half sister to SC-winning multi-millionaire Sky Full of Stars (already a stakes producer herself) and the stakes winning Stars That Fall, dam of millionaire multiple G1 winner Atlas Falls. Should he manage to pull off an upset, he will also be the highest earning progeny of Triple Crown winning Dragonfly, already making a mark as a broodmare sire. I expect big things from this guy as a stallion. Expect his fee to be in the range of $25-30,000 and save him a mare or two!

Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Can't wait for Dragon Reborn. Will definitely be saving some mares for him.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Andrew James wrote: 1 year ago Can't wait for Dragon Reborn. Will definitely be saving some mares for him.
Thank you, Andrew, and thank you so much for allowing me to use the name for this special boy!

In other news, Can't Take the Sky now has his first stakes (and graded stakes) winner! With only 22 foals to race (yes, I've done a horrendous job of supporting him), it took a little time, but his Browncoat got the job done over a very nice Steward-bred in the G3 Canadian Juvenile. This colt doesn't want any part of 1 1/16 miles, not with four (!!) crosses of my Sway female family to his name. Expect him to get better as the distances stretch out.

Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Shout out to Fight the Good Fight who was kind enough to give me twins out of a flat A hypo. For me he's hypo'ing just as good as the big boys are, I'm very hopeful for my foals out of him!
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Just for funsies, I checked the "heart" of all my stallions. Results as follows.

Can't Take the Sky: Interested
Fade to Blue: Brave
Fight the Good Fight: Brave
Uncompahgre: Brave
War Like Me: Timid (was NOT expecting that; clearly it didn't limit him in his racing career and thus far not in his stallion career)
Wayward Son: Timid (also was not expecting that, as he won several knock down drag out fights in his career)

As I fully expected, Dragon Reborn is also "brave". I don't think he could have been anything less. I can't wait to see his hypos upon retirement.

I will be taking the "heart" stat with a grain of salt, especially as it seems somewhat random except for a few families (the Tempest line is almost 90% "brave" in my barn). I think it will mostly affect how I handle a horse after a loss.

Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

I am toying with the idea of hanging a shingle offering my services as a psychiatric horse whisperer.
Timid horses no longer need to feel helpless and hopeless.
The help they so desperately desire is on the way. ;)
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Dragon Reborn is now retired and standing for an introductory fee of $20k. He finished his career with 10 wins in 23 starts and never once finished out of the money while racing in all stakes (the majority graded). His hypos are not Valley of Fire/DMB/War Like Me level, but they are nice enough.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Wayward Son, Uncompahgre and Dragon Reborn will no longer ever be standing at stud.

Fight the Good Fight has changed ownership. I can't support him with my tiny TM string, but I know RRH can.

War Like Me and Can't Take the Sky continue to knock it out of the park in terms of gallops. They will still remain at the same fees this season.

I am also pleased with Fade to Blue and the two lovely stakes yearlings I got from him. He has more than earned continuing to stand.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I retired Atlas Falls because I'm basically retiring everything. Kind of done. He stands for $30k.

Someone talked me into keeping Dragon Reborn and Wayward Son. They're both back up for cheap fees. Wayward Son does now have a graded stakes winner from his tiny first crop.

Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Don't sleep on Can't Take the Sky. His second crop son Browncoat just proved his Midsummer Derby victory was no fluke, defeating a very nice field of three year olds in the Awesome Derby for his third straight win. He's no doubt going to be a longshot, but at the moment, I have myself convinced to run in the SC Classic.