Breeding Shed versus Longer Career

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Breeding Shed versus Longer Career

Post by Cleo Patra »

For scientific purposes, I retired a handful of newly turned 2 fillies to see what the impact of the breeding shed/longer career comment is in practice. It is a small study group, but it should give you some idea of your own 2yo fillies.

The idea that the comment is a comparison of their racing ability versus their broodmare potential does seem to be true in practice as well as theory.

I'm really hoping to see 'HORSE' in the breeding shed one day!
First Star (AR) - Allowance - Star Mare
Back to Brilliance (GBR) - Productive - Formidable
In All I've Done (FL) - Productive - Star Mare
Whirlwinds (NY) - Productive - Star Mare
Make a Statement (KY) - Productive - Unpredictable
Pranked (NY) - Solid - Unpredictable
Into the Night (FL) - Claimer - Unpredictable

You can plan for 'HORSE' to have a longer career if you want.
Hilarity Ensues (NY) - Allowance - Formidable
Clearsighted (KY) - Productive - Formidable
Break the Fall (IL) - Productive - Some Potential
Good Cause (NY) - Productive - Some Potential
Heaven Too Soon (NY) - Productive - Some Potential
Roaring Flames (CA) - Productive - Some Potential
Kamakshi (MO) - Productive - Unpredictable
Mondello (KY) - Productive - Unpredictable
Sweetest Voice (NY) - Productive - Unpredictable
Pivano (KY) - Claimer - No Potential
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Re: Breeding Shed versus Longer Career

Post by Nicole Marie »

Good to know! I got the shed comment on a couple of my new allowance yearlings.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Thanks for this info Cleo! That is very useful
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Excellent, thank you Cleo!
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Tan Gent
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Tan Gent »

That makes sense and it's great to know.
All surface route

Rich Strike (Steward approved x3)

DR

You Won Me Over (Steward approved)
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

This feels fairly important. Didn't realize the relationship was this linear. Thanks for highlighting Cleo.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Yes thanks for that!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Thank you - very interesting information.

Would you say that if a horse gives the comment, "You can plan for 'HORSE' to have a longer career if you want" that a player could race the productive, solids and claimers if that is what they would like to do but, regardless if they are retired at 2 or 6 years old DO NOT waste money on the Bloodstock Agent because chances are the player would get a rating of formidable to no potential. Action to be taken: Retire/Pension/Rodeo or GP.... repeat. jX
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Jon Xett wrote: 1 year ago Thank you - very interesting information.

Would you say that if a horse gives the comment, "You can plan for 'HORSE' to have a longer career if you want" that a player could race the productive, solids and claimers if that is what they would like to do but, regardless if they are retired at 2 or 6 years old DO NOT waste money on the Bloodstock Agent because chances are the player would get a rating of formidable to no potential. Action to be taken: Retire/Pension/Rodeo or GP.... repeat. jX
Hey Jon, just thinking about this myself. Im sure I will continue to adapt but for me the only immediate change I am going to make is to run my fillys with the "longer career" comment in claimers more willingly than I previously would have. Realistically I will still retire them when it makes sense to and hypo them once or twice. If they get a B+ or up I'll BSA them, if not, cya. Those with the breeding shed comment I'll be more careful to not lose and be willing to retire earlier if they can't place in non-claiming races.

Doesn't really change anything on the colt/gelding side to me. Unless they are going to be a stud Im gelding them and running them until they are unable to place as I do now.

My 2 cents.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

I wonder if you try breeding those unpredictable ones from the breeding shed group if they still may have higher chance of producing than a non breeding shed unpredictable? That is probably ambitious but maybe?
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

J.P Dogood wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if you try breeding those unpredictable ones from the breeding shed group if they still may have higher chance of producing than a non breeding shed unpredictable? That is probably ambitious but maybe?
hmmmm i like the way you think
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

I say, what about those low level colts that get shed comments. Should you then work to get them to 350k (hopefully if even it means sponsoring obscure races) then retire to shed despite inability to get a "big race"?
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Here is another thing to ponder on the comments.

I am wondering if yearlings who have the insure comment and also the breeding shed comment are more likely to be Star or Blue Hen as opposed to the ones that say No insure and Breeding shed (maybe that is where the unpredictable thru formidable come from).

What does everyone think since we are discussing the breeding shed comment, just curious if anyone has noticed if the ones that get the insure comment and breeding shed comment are more superior than say the ones that get just a breeding shed or no insure and breeding shed comment?
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

John Smith wrote: 1 year ago I say, what about those low level colts that get shed comments. Should you then work to get them to 350k (hopefully if even it means sponsoring obscure races) then retire to shed despite inability to get a "big race"?
I wouldn't say so, I think it's just measured the same way (gallop rating vs breeding potential) regardless of if the animal is male or female. It's just more helpful (at least to me, as someone without any stallions) for the fillies.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Chris Barber
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Chris Barber »

Very interesting thanks Cleo. Out of interest what were the improvement comments?