Steeplechase affordability

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Steeplechase affordability

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

How do people get to breed to the best without spending millions of sim dollars?
I have a couple brilliant mares that are daughters of my multiple champion Cathay Williams that I can’t get to A+ hypos.
Under Starlight is impossible. So is Some Starry Night and Reckless Soul isn’t available at the moment.

I probably won’t breed them or just sell all my stock and quit this division entirely.

I’ve been playing this game since year 37 and am on the borderline of quitting entirely as I just can’t seem to find the time to train and keep up with my stable. Hell, I don’t even work and can’t keep up with it and my stable is relatively small compared to others here. How do y’all do it? After the recent changes, my stock seems to be total crap now. Lol. Give me the reasons not to quit.

It’s still fun to play in ways but I find myself spending way too much of my money because I refuse to go into chat and beg for help. Chat of any kind has always driven me nuts as it seems like everyone is taking all at once. It’s hard to follow and it’s very hard to do on an iPad with no keyboard.

So, before I do anything hasty, I will wait for replies.

Thanks from anyone in advance. 😁
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Steeplechase affordability

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Join Dave trainers clique for special access.

Quit chasers and move to sprinters or mixer sprinters, any ol thing but this division. Breed for the slide and roll with the best. Put in the time and effort on the good ones and rebuild yourself. Cut back on the mares that ain’t producing allowance or better after 3 tries and keep on keeping on.
;p
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

...all I can say is... be patient. I really hope that someone soon retire a quality stallion. I know that Lucas Davenport has a really great breeding-operation, and he should be able to produce a star-stallion soon. And I hope I can get lucky with one soon to. And Dylan. I think he's going to retire Quincy Rae this season?
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Flizan Hambletonian wrote: 1 year ago ...all I can say is... be patient. I really hope that someone soon retire a quality stallion. I know that Lucas Davenport has a really great breeding-operation, and he should be able to produce a star-stallion soon. And I hope I can get lucky with one soon to. And Dylan. I think he's going to retire Quincy Rae this season?
Dylan is on indefinite break from the sim and has given Quincy Rae to Jack Christensen (who I believe is his cousin). But it's entirely possible Jack will retire him this year.

Re: original question, new GP studs seem to hypo well, and can be paid for with cash instead of GP. As for keeping up with the game, I don't because my barn is way too big (I keep culling and yet somehow it keeps growing??? Can't be because I'm an impulsive auction shopper, nooo...) but mostly I just make it a routine. If I find something is eating up too much of my cash, I look at how I can balance that - is the racing or breeding stock just bad? Get rid of it and lease, buy, or claim something new. Am I spending too much on breeding? I've learned that if my mare isn't consistently able to produce a 100k earner (which encompasses every mare I own lol), maybe I shouldn't be sending her to 100k studs. Find something for 20k that can produce a reasonable allowance runner instead, rinse and repeat until the slide hits big, in the meantime slow and steady income breeding foals who actually will earn back their stud fees on the track.

In steeplechasing specifically, I'm still learning, and the three-year delay from breeding to racing means my breeding program is still in its infancy. But a couple of forum posts and PMs got me some decent start-up leases and advice. Chat's frequently quiet anyway, forum or PMs are the way to go.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I can't speak regarding anything TB/Steeplechase wise. However I have been through the wanting to quit and have "dropped" divisions in the past. As far as breeding being costly, try messaging the owner of the stallion, no harm in sending a message and a lot of times they'll offer a discount if the mare is good enough. I've done this many times in the past with my stallions.

I keep a small, higher quality barn. I don't have time for anything else. Whenever I've gone through a wanting to quit phase I clean house to see if that helps. Any mare that hasn't produced Allowance+ regularly, runners that aren't placing OTB every race. Cleaning house has always helped me, if it means a division goes, so be it, they weren't good enough. I'm to the point where I don't race anything below Stakes (I have less than 30 runners), most of my allowances I lease out, Productive or lower get retired the day they turn 2 and if a mare isn't at least formidable she gets pensioned. This year I started selling the horses I breed. I love the breeding side of the game, so I decided that's what I'm going to do, breed and sell the foals, keep a select few to race or have as broodmares.

I have dropped a few divisions in the past, most notably Thoroughbreds and I'm on my way out of QHs and Paint Sprinters by the looks of things. I had a couple nice DS TBs, even won a SC, but couldn't quite get a good breeding operation going. This was many RL years ago, I don't remember the details, but I eventually got fed up with it, cut my losses (it was a few million I had in them) and dropped them. It was the best thing I've ever done in this game, I have always found my joy with mixers and that is now all I do. I also have built up a better bankroll only doing mixers as the TBs were not earning enough to support themselves. If you are seriously considering leaving the game entirely, it's worth asking yourself where you find joy in this game and focus on just doing that.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

If you don’t want to contact Dave, (and he’s very approachable) there is always the Steward’s offering of Snap Decision. He hypos very nicely, but it will take awhile before we know if he produces anything.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

Thanks for the replies. I have a small stable so it’s really no pressing issue. It’s just that my largest earner and 3x champion is the base of my brilliant stock. Still haven’t decided what to do yet.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

I've reached out to Dave Trainer to see if I could send 4 steeplechase 'brilliant' mares to his stallions that he has listed for millions of dollars and he said "I have other stallions you know", so I gave up right away there. I'd say get out of chasers for now and concentrate elsewhere because that is a lost cause right now unless you are friends with him I assume. Best advice I can give for now.
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Jack Meyer wrote: 1 year ago I've reached out to Dave Trainer to see if I could send 4 steeplechase 'brilliant' mares to his stallions that he has listed for millions of dollars and he said "I have other stallions you know"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

Mr. Lord Rich wrote: 1 year ago
Jack Meyer wrote: 1 year ago I've reached out to Dave Trainer to see if I could send 4 steeplechase 'brilliant' mares to his stallions that he has listed for millions of dollars and he said "I have other stallions you know"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Uh huh, just 4, couldn't believe it.
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

My experiance of "Reaching out to Dave" didn't go any better although I asked to breed 5 instead of 4. This was a few seasons ago right out of the break.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Kent Saunders wrote: 1 year ago My experiance of "Reaching out to Dave" didn't go any better although I asked to breed 5 instead of 4. This was a few seasons ago right out of the break.
I am shocked. :o :o :o
;p
Fern Thompson
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Fern Thompson »

I quit the game weeks and weeks ago for many different reasons, and I will not say a lot here, but Dave is a great man and extremely nice. He's the only reason I stayed for as long as I did.
The idea that people are upset because he doesn't share his stallions the way they want is something that happens all the time in this game. I won't name names, but I witnessed this on many occasions. Only a select few were allowed to breed to certain horses, and of course, they were the top players in the game.
What a load of rubbish.....