Wouldn't it be great if there were separate limits for within breed and crossbreeding

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Wouldn't it be great if there were separate limits for within breed and crossbreeding

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Another breeding season another time of seeing a lot of booked full quarter horses. Right now it appears 6 of the 85 crossbreed eligible quarter horses are booked full and while an improvement from the usual 10+% still more than the 1-2% we were told stallion limits would affect. And while I know there are some in mixer world that are just dead set against limits I continue to support them. Look at this year's paint sprint Steward's Cup races it's almost all game created sired horses. The playerbreds are already struggling to attract top mares, let people breed unlimited to the created horses and good luck getting them any mares (the playerbred vs game created stallion ability disparity is also an issue but I'll try and stay focused).

That being said it continues to be difficult to crossbreed since these changes were made. I usually do most of my crossbreeding at the beginning of the year as that is the only time I can get into some of the stallions. Even then there are stallions that are only made available for small periods of time that I miss out on completely. Also the majority of quarter horses no longer have lower crossbreed stud fees. It makes sense from a stallion owners perspective if you can only let a set number of mares breed to your stud why let some do so cheaper. But given that Appys and Paints have lower earning potentials than quarter horses it makes it hard for breeders that are breeding on a budget to crossbreed.

Early on cross breed eligible horses were given a limit boost but it did little to nothing to prevent quarter horses from booking full or bringing down crossbreed stud fees. Instead, it gave the earners of turf stallions a cheap way to get more breeding slots. I think a separate limit for within breed and cross breed would better address the issues. 1) It would more dramatically increase the limits while splitting that increase between different breeds. 2) It would also only benefit those that it was meant to help stallions truly useful for crossbreeding. 3) It would make an incentive to lower crossbreed stud fees. If you have a separate limit there it makes sense to price your stallion competitively in that market

And yes I know I'm a bit of a broken record on this but the issue has not worked itself out and hey at least I'm not as bad as Danny is with his Grade 1 wins column (at least not yet).
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Amy Bahama
Grade 2 Winner

Re: Wouldn't it be great if there were separate limits for within breed and crossbreeding

Post by Amy Bahama »

Or forgo the hassle and remove all limits all together.
Iron City Louisiana

Home to many quality stallions to meet all your racing needs for a reasonable fee.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Wouldn't it be great if there were separate limits for within breed and crossbreeding

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago Or forgo the hassle and remove all limits all together.
I know it won't happen but THIS. The hassle at times really kills the fun for me. It's the only part of the SIM that isn't flexible or you can work around when real life gets crazy.

Laura
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Agree with Tammy, more spots that are just for cross breeding. I can't afford to breed my horses week 1 so I miss out on adding those lines to my barn.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago
Amy Bahama wrote: 4 years ago Or forgo the hassle and remove all limits all together.
I know it won't happen but THIS. The hassle at times really kills the fun for me. It's the only part of the SIM that isn't flexible or you can work around when real life gets crazy.

Laura
And I do enjoy the breeding aspect. Its nice to spend time and research but the mad rush takes every single bit of fun out of it.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Sten Rino Haakonsen
Eclipse Champion

Post by Sten Rino Haakonsen »

I wont be rushed and that makes it harder to breed cos by the time I get to breed a mare the one I most wanted to breed her with is fully booked
This hapens more often thaan I like
it's not that I am totally against the limits but it sure makes it harder to breed mixers for me
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

I would also like separate crossbreed limits. I’m trying to diversify my bloodlines so I don’t see majority bold type when I check their pedigree.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I agree. Plus it's a way for TB stallions to 'game the system' when they pay for extra cross breed limits but then aren't used for that, and then my trotter studs can't do the same and get those 180 same-breed foals.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.