QH/TB Cross Breeding

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kris Krueger
Grade 2 Winner

QH/TB Cross Breeding

Post by Kris Krueger »

I'm just curious. Been kinda' out of the loop for the past year or so.
Question, has anyone had any luck with breeding a QH/TB mare back to a TB. Or is this just not done?
Doing a quick check on stallions, I don't see any that have any TB in their background. Outside of a good 1st generation runner is it worth breeding to TB's? I have a couple of TB cross mares that hypo A back to TB studs. I'm not thinking it's worth the money.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: QH/TB Cross Breeding

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

I never had much luck with the Mixer/TB cross. I had some mares from them that just didn’t produce or hypo well. Same with the stud. I kind of gave up on it.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I was super excited when this first arrived. Then I realized over time that the thoroughbred sired quarter horse mares are subpar and don't produce squat. After many unsuccessful years, I like Pete, have pulled the plug on this.
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Pete's answer +1
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

By extension then, does that similarly apply to using QH sires with the other mixers? Thinking more about the breeding aspect than the racing.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Lucas Davenport wrote: 3 years ago By extension then, does that similarly apply to using QH sires with the other mixers? Thinking more about the breeding aspect than the racing.
I find as a whole my purebred paints tend to be better broodmares than my crossbred paints but I have had some nice crossbred broodmares and gotten stakes winners out of them so I don't find them useless. It seems 6 of my 73 homebred paint winners are out of crossbred mares with 4 separate mares responsible for those 6 foals.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

I have got some amazing paint and appys out of QH sires. I think the disconnect is that thoroughbreds nick very poorly compared to mixers.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I've had excellent results with QH over Paint and Appy mares. Like the others, very little luck with TB sires to QH mares. I can think of a few alw types but that's about it.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jennifer Blake
Classic Contender

Post by Jennifer Blake »

I second what Laura says! My paints and appys cross beautifully with QHs. However QH to Tbs have been a big bust..... example: I have a QH mare that A+ hypos to two different TB stallions the first foal turned out being a productive foal and the second one is 0 so no gallop yet.