Still Having Fun But OMG SO BORED

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Still Having Fun But OMG SO BORED

Post by Gwen Morse »

I'm still enjoying the sim but break just started and I'm already bored logging in with nothing productive to do.

I've bought some $10 AJ stock mares and bred them to have some mixer fillies.

I've also bred a couple other mares I hadn't yet found stallions for.

I've put in some auction bids to try to get some affordable TB broodmares to breed miler foals.

I've written some (what I hope were politely worded) PMs to find some lease horses for next season at Trial Park, so that I have enough money for board on all the money-sink foals I bred.

I've checked the date on my computer about a million times, and it's still the first weekend of break!!!

I know breeding is expensive and risky for new people, but once year 57 rolls around and the easy leases and "Recommended" list horses shift over to the new wave of Novice players, I'll have homebreds to race.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Re: Still Having Fun But OMG SO BORED

Post by Laurel Addams »

Same here! I've bred more that I should already, and I really don't need to keep browsing through the sales pages if I'd like to have money to start off Y56 lol. It's going to be a long week.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

At least it’s just one week break and one week preseason
;p
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Andrew Davidson wrote: 3 years ago At least it’s just one week break and one week preseason
Very true
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Haha! Break becomes very useful a few years down the line, when you’re choosing what to remove from your stable. The mare cull is the core one though, so looking forward to that, my racing barn has around 300 in, almost 200 of which are female so I’ll need to move some on so I don’t breed tons and tons of foals. 😂

I remember when I was new and it was very easy to spend money during breaks because lots of stables did the clearouts and they are horses that will make money. But why have money in the bank if not to spend it?
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Gwen Morse wrote: 3 years ago I'm still enjoying the sim but break just started and I'm already bored logging in with nothing productive to do.

I've bought some $10 AJ stock mares and bred them to have some mixer fillies.

I've also bred a couple other mares I hadn't yet found stallions for.

I've put in some auction bids to try to get some affordable TB broodmares to breed miler foals.

I've written some (what I hope were politely worded) PMs to find some lease horses for next season at Trial Park, so that I have enough money for board on all the money-sink foals I bred.

I've checked the date on my computer about a million times, and it's still the first weekend of break!!!

I know breeding is expensive and risky for new people, but once year 57 rolls around and the easy leases and "Recommended" list horses shift over to the new wave of Novice players, I'll have homebreds to race.
Oh my...we're only a few days in and you're already bored and spending boredom money. Here's advice, don't spend money out of boredom, as it usually does not end well. I know the time off stinks, but use it to your advantage. Look over the barn you DO have and raced this past year. Do a review on every aspect of every horse...you've got the time, right? Look at the results and formulate what you could have done, as a trainer, to make them better, whether it was the distance raced (For instance, just because it's a dirt router and you raced it at route distances doesn't mean those were the distances you horse likes! Maybe it wants to run 1.5 miles and longer while you never took them above 1.25 miles.), rest between races, track conditions, etc. Ask your mentor for help in some of those areas (if you have one), or enlist the help of a veteran player and then send them links to individual horses that you're having trouble figuring out and get their input. There's lots of things you can do to improve the barn you have and become a better trainer for the horses you have, but don't let boredom trick you into doing things that may become mistakes.

It really is okay to spend money and breed. You are allowed, after all. I'm just suggesting more thoughtful purchases and breeding decisions, rather than boredom decisions.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Steve Leavitt wrote: 3 years ago
It really is okay to spend money and breed. You are allowed, after all. I'm just suggesting more thoughtful purchases and breeding decisions, rather than boredom decisions.
My spending for breeding was planned before break (except the miler mares). I wasn't really clear about that in my original post.

I found the retired stock mares in AJ's inventory a couple weeks ago and put alerts on them to buy them if they were still around when their price dropped to $10 over break. I knew I was going to breed mares during the break and I did everything I could to keep prices down and potential foal quality up. I didn't expect to find sub-10k sires that nicked well with my mares in one day, so it kind of left me at loose ends.

I've been killing time by making training notes for next season and playing Magic the Gathering online :D so maybe I'll be a little less bored going forward.
--
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Katie Stepanian wrote: 3 years ago Haha! Break becomes very useful a few years down the line, when you’re choosing what to remove from your stable. The mare cull is the core one though, so looking forward to that, my racing barn has around 300 in, almost 200 of which are female so I’ll need to move some on so I don’t breed tons and tons of foals. 😂

I remember when I was new and it was very easy to spend money during breaks because lots of stables did the clearouts and they are horses that will make money. But why have money in the bank if not to spend it?
* sidles closer *

2/3 of my race string is geldings. :D
--
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

*reminds Gwen of the 2m social distancing rule*😂

Don’t worry! You’ll be getting some of the mares :)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I’ve been playing for 6 game years, break is still torture for me haha and 2 week break?! 💀

Break is the most dangerous time for my bank account haha
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
George Knatz
Miler

Post by George Knatz »

My first season I ended break with $568.
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Glenn Escobar »

George Knatz wrote: 3 years ago My first season I ended break with $568.
He has a few more bucks than that now...............patience is paramount in the SIM! :D
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

For those who lack patience, and in some cases, requisite skills to compete at the highest level, there is the 'Exchange!' :o
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I had $24k left after my first break. My wife freaked out..."Your going to go broke! :)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 3 years ago For those who lack patience, and in some cases, requisite skills to compete at the highest level, there is the 'Exchange!' :o
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA