Important Info About Break

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: Important Info About Break

Post by Regina Moore »

The rules say horses aren't rested during the break, but goes on to say that horses raced in Week 16, can race in Week 2, which by the first statement means that's a one week break between races, not the standard two.
What the first statement means is that the horses aren't resting when there isn't any racing in the break between game years. (Though actually, they kinda sorta rest at half-rate this pseudo-Week 1 when entries are being taken.)

Week 2 is two weeks after Week 16. So, if a horse races Monday of Week 16, and then Monday of Week 2, that's a two-week break.

Probably the simplest way to think of it is that Week 1 is like Week 17, and Week 2 is like Week 18. If you can keep that in mind, it hopefully won't mess up how you manage your horses.

When in doubt about how tired or rested your horse is, ask the vet!

If it makes you feel better, a lot of experienced players get confused about how the break between game years affects their horses.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

I just learned an expensive lesson about the break.

I thought you could train yearlings regularly during the break once races opened, so I just gave them all an extra gallop to try and find some equipment.

18 horses injured at a cost of $106,000.

Now we know.
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

In addition, if you galloped or otherwise trained your horses during the break, it's generally a bad idea to race them Week 1 Day 1. The horse is going to be tired (think of it as the equivalent of galloping a horse two days before a race during the regular season), so you're at a greater risk of bad performance and/or injury, both of which cost you in the pocketbook.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

Thanks Laura - I'll check my entries.
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Also remember for any New yearlings - Don't work them at the start of the new year... as in give them timed works.
You need to wait until Week 5, for timed workouts to be safe for yearlings.

You can safely train them starting week 1...as in, longe, or gallop, or jog...etc..

---------
And, while not a safety issue, this is one that can save you some money in the long run:

The break is a great time to get into the habit of double checking where your horses are at.

Sometimes people will forget to ship a horse from the track to a $20.00 barn. Track fees can hit up to $200.00. Plus...your horse isn't going to get the extra rest that a barn will provide between races.

Same goes when buying a horse, check to see where it's stabled... the barn fees are usually $20.00 but there are a few out there that are $200.00 - this problem can be compounded if you get to the point where you buy a mare, breed her right away and didn't check to ship her from the track where she was left by the prior owner, or she was at an expensive barn... so instead of just 1 mare, you now have a foal there too.

I do the above checks about 3 times a year with my stable, and always during the break. Like I said, it's a good habit to adopt and can save you some money.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Good afternoon all.

Could i ask if all of the above still holds at the end of this season

Regards Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Frank Chilton wrote: 4 years ago Good afternoon all.

Could i ask if all of the above still holds at the end of this season

Regards Frank
Yep these are all still very true!
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

thank you
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.