The Only Newbie Article You'll Ever Need

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

The Only Newbie Article You'll Ever Need

Post by Scott Eiland »

(Hi everyone. I posted this on my website last year and realized how hard it is to find. Well, here it is. To Lauren, Eric, Em, and God, if you feel like this is worth pinning please do so. This is just one vet's opinion, but I think it can help people. Thanks.)

I started playing at SIMhorseracing.com knowing next to nothing about the mechanics of horse racing or how trainers make decisions. I was an empty book regarding surface preference, pedigree, and the different KINDS of races.’ I knew nothing. After playing for just four months, I won my first “Breeders’ Cup” trophy when my two year old purchase “Lucrezia Borgia” won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies’ Turf. (That race has since been renamed for proprietary reasons.)

If you’ve gotten this far, you probably want to know where to begin. I’m assuming you’ve already consumed the overview and signed up. You have a few horses, one of which was a free horse ready to race who was “created” by the game. Obtaining quality horses is easy, however, so if your free one isn’t running well, do not despair. You can build a quality barn of good racehorses quickly by following a few easy steps.

I’m assuming you know the basics, as in how to enter a horse, how to ship him/her, and how it’s important to employ farm rest between races to maximize rest (and, tangentially, that it’s also important to understand that using farms with “amenities” is important to maximize the maximization of farm rest.) If you’re struggling here, visit the chat room. I am available to answer questions as well. Contact me through the game’s messaging system and I will have an answer for you as soon as possible.

What will you need to know? I’ve made a list.

1. This game requires PATIENCE. TONS of it. Not only is it advisable to race your horses a minimum of two-three weeks apart when you begin, you’ll soon realize that a stable full of graded stakes winners requires a level of patience and understanding. When you breed, you’ll first learn to breed distance preference to distance preference and surface preference to surface preference (with fun nuances to these axioms as you learn.) Patience, however, is ESSENTIAL. If you don’t understand that to begin with, the game will become frustrating quickly. Don’t be in a rush to breed horses; sure, it’s fun, and in the game it’s instantaneous, but it’s important to learn best practices. There is a learning curve for learning how to breed your mares to the best possible stallions, so take it slow and don’t be afraid to ask veteran players for help.

2. The SEARCH page is your friend! Look up Grade 1 stakes races for the last three Week 6 and Week 16 races, then Weeks 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14. Then MEMORIZE the stallions, dams, and dam sires of these horses (as well as the horses themselves.) THOSE are your elite horses! These are the matches that resulted in massive wins and huge success! Look up every horse that finished on the board in these races, and check out the also-rans as well. I win a fair amount of major races, which should tell you that ANYONE can do this. Spend time learning your big horses, and you’ll soon learn how to replicate crosses yourself.

3. This game is social, almost to a fault. That leads to several pratfalls and difficulties (there’s no tone in text, so if you’re chatting with someone online it’s easy to misinterpret tone.Just behave as normally as you can initially and it should be easy to figure out that there are a LOT of people willing to help you who play this game, INCLUDING the game’s creator.)

4. Study the breeding habits of The Steward (AKA the game’s creator, Emily). Every season, look at what she’s doing with her mares. If she’s using stallions, so should you. Do the same for Eric Nalbone, Laura Ferguson, and any other player who is experiencing success.

5. Take the first few weeks and go through as many races as you can. When results go up, view ALL of the races that you can. Look at who’s winning and why. Befriend these people if possible. Be a friend to people! And as you gain knowledge, it’s ok to help others, too! Be nice!

6. GET A SIMPERIOR ACCOUNT. The cost of a full season of Simperior status is 1/4 the cost of “LA Noire”. And LA Noire doesn’t talk back to you or have pretty horses. If you’re a newbie and want me to really help your stable out show the game some love and it’ll be way easier for me (and folks like me) to give you free stuff.

7. Alexandra Jaysman is your new best friend. Alexandra Jaysman is the SIM computer in human form. Every day, veteran players give up on horses and dump them in “Greener Pastures” which makes Alexandra Jaysman their new owner. Some of these horses haven’t even been worked yet. Using the search page you might find capable, talented money earners veterans discarded. You can have these horses for almost nothing during break; during game years horses are on sale for 10k. If you like a horse and that's cost-prohibitive, ask a veteran for help. We are good people. Be sure to include the link to the horse, or Mama Em will penalize you severely. If you link the horse properly The Steward will then send you the horse for free. (Note: On a few occasions, the Steward will charge for an “Alexandra Jaysman” horse. Those times are few and the money charged is minimal.)

8. Besides Alexandra Jaysman, the sales page has opportunities everywhere. Look for owners who have been very successful. Susie Rydell, Eric Nalbone, Ara Davies, Scott Eiland, and Stephen Saratoga are just a few long-time players who regularly sell horses that can help new players win races and build a bankroll. If people who are successful are selling horses, there’s a good chance you want the horse.

9. The forum is a source for a multitude of opportunities, as well as some of the funniest unintentional comedy available. Read it regularly, and try not to get sucked in to the stupid arguments. Search Eric Nalbone’s forum posts on breeding. Anything that Jon Xett says is usually helpful. Those are only two examples; there are many players who regularly contribute to the game by helping new players. Watch for contests, sales, and other opportunities. They occur regularly.

10. Have fun. I get a lot of enjoyment deconstructing how major winners get made and how trainers can succeed, sometimes very quickly. Ask questions, be nice, and learn from the mistakes you’ll undeniably make. Keep trying when you fail, realizing that once you hit it big with a graded stakes winner, you’re getting a taste of what we’re all talking about.

The point is to start thinking with the big picture in mind. There are a lot of ways to play the SIM; the above guidelines I’ve found to be the best for me. Feel free to contact me through the SIM’s message board if you have any questions.
Last edited by Scott Eiland 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Re: The Only Newbie Article You'll Ever Need

Post by Jack Meyer »

Scott,

Very well said....I need to find a way to use all of it to help me out...

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Mike Larson
Derby Contender

Post by Mike Larson »

Very nicely put and thanks.. Looks like I have a lot to learn
Larry Christenson
Miler

Post by Larry Christenson »

Thanks so much Alexandria, your post is loaded with a ton of
info to help a new owner like myself. You've taken the
"Overwhelming" :? and expressed it to be very workable.
I thank you for giving me the direction that I need to
get the most fun out of SIM. :wink:
Is it just me, or my horses? It's me AND my horses ... Thanks Willie
Larry Christenson
Miler

Post by Larry Christenson »

Sorry about the wrong name Scott, at first I thought this was Alexandria's post.
I'm a newbie indeed and a newbie in need. lol ... Thanks for your post ..
Is it just me, or my horses? It's me AND my horses ... Thanks Willie
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

That's ok. I had to change my twitter name to Sister Abigail the other day. I'll answer to anything .
Charles Hamm
Two Year Old

Post by Charles Hamm »

I just wanted to thanks for your article. I just signed up and am a complete newbie. I honestly have no idea as to how to even train my horses. I really could use all the help I can get.
Dom Behan
Turf Router

Post by Dom Behan »

Excellent information, surprised there has been a 1000+ views and so few replies :?:

Dom
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Thanks, Scott. Like so many others, we are all attempting to get our feet wet without drowning in the deep end. Your insights are very helpful and will make it easier for me to grow into the game.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

I tend to read 'the instructions' when all else fails!?!

I'll refer back to this thread in a year or two?!?
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.
Heather Left
Miler

Post by Heather Left »

Great article, Scott... I'm so late in writing this. First read this article half a year ago. But, I just wanted to thank you.
A M D G

"It's not what you say, it's what you do. And what you did was say things." -Adam, Studio C
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

You are all welcome. I might have an update or two to put in, but the basics are still true.
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

The only part of your post that I don't get is the bit about AJ.

You say that "You can almost always have these horses for nothing if you contact Alexandra Jaysman’s mailbox and ask her for the horse(s)."
yet when you go to AJ's page you find she doesn't accept private messages.

I realise that your post was originally written many moons ago and things might have changed since then so I just wondered if this was still an option or not, as right now AJ sells me claimers for $10k and retired pensioned horses that can't race or breed any longer.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Robbie Dee
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Robbie,
Contact me in game and I can help :).
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender