New Here

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Janna Evans
Two Year Old

New Here

Post by Janna Evans »

Hi! I'm pretty new here, and I just had a few questions.
First, can we only breed on the break week? In other words, we only have one/two weeks to breed, and then it's closed? Or can we breed any time we want and break week is just the best time to do it?
How do I know whether to make my horse a turf or a dirt horse? Do I just train them on both and then choose, based on which surface they perform better on? Or is there a faster way?
Finally, how do I know which horses to breed together? Is it just studying pedigrees to find the best match, or is there more to it that I am not aware of? Thanks! :)
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: New Here

Post by Lori Hamill »

Hello Janna and welcome to the Sim.
We can breed horses throughout the Sim year, many seem to wait until the end of the year to get most of their breeding done when they're not having to try to deal with race placement and other things. Also, many stallions will retire after their Steward Cup races in week 16 and many like to breed to them as soon as they retire.

Generally you will know what type of horse you have by looking at their parents. If their sire ran a long distance (over a mile) on dirt and so did their dam then your horse will most likely be a dirt router. You would also breed like horses to like. A dirt router to a dirt router.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11125

All of that said - new players can not breed for the first 6 weeks of their Sim career. It gives them some time to get used to the Sim and the pedigrees. The best thing for you to do at this point is to read, read and read some more. There are many articles for new players in the Feature Race.
https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... %20Players

Also the FAQS
viewforum.php?f=20

Also stopping in to the Chat Room where people are usually able to answer your questions
https://www.simhorseracing.com/chat.php

Or posting on the forum here, also.

Good luck and relax during the break and learn as much as you can! :)
Last edited by Lori Hamill 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Welcome, Janna! Ditto what Lori said, especially the read, read, read part!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Janna Evans
Two Year Old

Post by Janna Evans »

Thanks for answering my questions! And for the advice. =)