New PlayerIntroduction

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tamsin Pa Te Rangi
Two Year Old

New PlayerIntroduction

Post by Tamsin Pa Te Rangi »

Hi Guy's, (and Gal's),

Just a quick message to introduce myself. I am Tamsin Pa Te Rangi, I was born and raised in New Zealand, but now live in Penzance in the UK. I guess I have arrived a little late to the party for this year, but looking forward to getting to grips with the game in year 55. I am a complete newbie to this type of game, but love horses in real life, having been riding almost before I could walk.
I have been slowly going through all the new player articles and found the Regina Moore ones particularly useful. If any of you have any tips to get me started, particularly in what to look for when buying horses as I am guessing that is one of the first things I should do, or anything that you think will help, then please let me know.
See you at the track.

Tamsin
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: New PlayerIntroduction

Post by Lori Hamill »

Welcome Tamsin, hope you will enjoy playing!
We are coming up to our break but you can still enjoy some things until then if you have a few horses.

The best advice I can think of is to relax, take your time, read, read, read, visit the chat room if you're so inclined, ask questions, get a mentor, be patient and just enjoy yourself.

Are there any sort of horses you like more then others? Thoroughbreds, quarter horses, paints, appaloosa's, standardbreds, Arabians, steeplechasers? Long distance routers, short distance sprinters, mid distance?

When buying horses off of the sales page always check out the recommended list, otherwise try to look for horses that are consistently making money - hopefully placing in one of the top 3 positions - even if it is in claiming races.

Good luck and enjoy the ride! :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tamsin Pa Te Rangi
Two Year Old

Post by Tamsin Pa Te Rangi »

Hi Lori,
Thanks for the advice. As to the type of horses. Well coming from New Zealand and now living in the UK it has to be Thoroughbreds on the Turf for me. I have no preference in distance. If I can find a winner in the minefield that is also the sales page then I will be happy whatever distance he/she runs. :-)
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Welcome Tamsin. Still two weeks left for this years' party, but then you'll have more time to get used to how the game runs, ask questions and learn a bit before we get started again.
Last edited by Steve Leavitt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Welcome Tasmin from NOTTINGHAM
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Welcome Tamsin from a fellow kiwi! When looking on the sales page make sure you make full use of the recommended page for new players only.
Race With Lions (TM)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid) - leased out this year

NEW in Y66:
Nigerian Prince
(TS)
The Womble (TR)
Lee Tuttle
Miler

Post by Lee Tuttle »

Hello Tamsin,

Welcome to the sim.
You will be able to race the newbie track Trial Park for the next few months.
While there are occasional turf races there, it is mostly dirt route thoroughbred racing.
Try to acquire a few DR thoros on the cheap as opportunities come up. Those will be your bread and butter earners at TP. If they have already raced, then 80 and above speed ratings should be competetive at TP.

Lee
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I think the split between dirt and turf at TP is fairly even. Try to race as much as you can there as you will only be running against other new players.

Only TB race at TP and they don't have chases or all weather.