New Player Advice?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jessica Tugwell
Two Year Old

New Player Advice?

Post by Jessica Tugwell »

Hi there everyone, I'm looking forward to getting involved in this game! It looks like it's really in-depth and interesting, but because of that I really feel like I don't know where to start! I have my first horse (from what I can tell, seems like he's pretty talented but fragile; he's been doing fairly well on a consistent three week schedule, so I figure to start I'm just going to have to wait a couple of weeks to enter him, so I might buy a second horse as well) and I've started watching some tutorials, but I was just wondering if anyone had any specific advice for newcomers, particularly regarding what to look for when buying a horse early on. Thanks in advance!
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: New Player Advice?

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Hey,

I saw your post on Twitter, so glad to see you here! :)
Definitely check out chat, we’re a friendly bunch here and there’s lots of people who will help new players out with horses gifted or leased. Make sure you read all the help articles (Regina’s are awesome).
We do have a mentor program set up, so we can assign you an experienced player to answer your questions and guide you.
Any questions, feel free to PM me in game.
Enjoy- it’s a great game!

Katie
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Welcome! Make use of the New Player Sales page, horses there have a gallop of Productive or better. For reference, this is the gallop from worst to best:

Different Career
Claimer
Solid
Productive
Allowance
Stakes
Freak

The videos, FAQ and new player article section are very handy and all worth a very close look! If you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask. Ooh and make sure to join the chat at some point, tonight during the race calls would be a great idea, plenty of people will be about to give out advice (and often people are happy to offer up some free racehorses to run at Trial Park, which you should definitely stick to to start off with fyi!).
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

https://www.simhorseracing.com//feature ... pleID=5100

Here are some good articles to go through when you have the time.
There are other good ones under the heading New Players in the Feature Race.

Take your time, this game is much more of a marathon than a sprint.

Good luck!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago Welcome! Make use of the New Player Sales page, horses there have a gallop of Productive or better. For reference, this is the gallop from worst to best:

Different Career
Claimer
Solid
Productive
Allowance
Stakes
Freak

The videos, FAQ and new player article section are very handy and all worth a very close look! If you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask. Ooh and make sure to join the chat at some point, tonight during the race calls would be a great idea, plenty of people will be about to give out advice (and often people are happy to offer up some free racehorses to run at Trial Park, which you should definitely stick to to start off with fyi!).
Just to clarify, Carole means the recommended page, which is where you can find horses that are productive gallop and up which is what you want to be buying. Anyone can put any rubbish horses on the new players page, it doesn’t mean they’re any good so always filter using the recommended tab when buying.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Yes sorry it’s been a long time since I’ve been a new player :lol:
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Carole Hanson wrote: 4 years ago Yes sorry it’s been a long time since I’ve been a new player :lol:
When I was a new player we didn’t have a recommended page. And we had to walk backwards in the snow to get to the races 🤣

Welcome to the SIM! We are well into the second half of the season, but in the new season when you’ve found your feet definitely keep an eye out for the free leases myself and other veteran players do. I usually post a list of available horses in this forum during the pre-season break.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Welcome!! We are all friendly and always willing to help :) :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Welcome to the game! I've only been here a little over a month, but there's a lot of people who are willing to help and give advice!
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Katie Stepanian wrote: 4 years ago Just to clarify, Carole means the recommended page, which is where you can find horses that are productive gallop and up which is what you want to be buying. Anyone can put any rubbish horses on the new players page, it doesn’t mean they’re any good so always filter using the recommended tab when buying.
I've been burned a few times when buying from the New Players listing. I've gotten "different career" horses that were clearly dumped there to make a little money and avoid paying 5k to AJ to take them away. Like a sap, I paid a few grand for them thinking "at least" I could make it back running them in cheap claimers, and then found out they weren't just racing in the "wrong" class of race - they couldn't run at all.

As far as learning lessons go, it was probably good to learn that there's no "safe" place to buy horses in the sim, and you'd better "git gud" at reading the past performance records, but as part of the new player experience it was a little rough.

I've also gotten $5000 horses, and even a few $10 horses, that earn me _very_ reliable purse money at TP on the New Player list. It's potentially a very valuable resource for new players. It's just a shame that we can't see the Gallop rating or at least also apply the Recommended filter to it to help people weed out the worst potential horses.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100