warning to new players

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Robert Goldsmith
Two Year Old

warning to new players

Post by Robert Goldsmith »

I just think that it is unfair for new players joining the game for free to think that they are playing on a level playing field. I joined in 2018 and have always been able to see the Speed Rating of all the horses entered into the race that I was entered into. When it was taken away the Steward said that as a free player I was never supposed to see them. And I think this is morally wrong to let free players not know about this disadvantage. It should be taken away from all players or given to all players for free. Speed rating is a number assigned to each horse after a race to show how well performed.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Re: warning to new players

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

New players, please pay no attention to this guy.

Nothing was taken away from anyone.
Less complain + more effort = Better sim player.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

Anything players NEED is free. Perks like SF come as a small part of Sim membership. Nobody needs SF to play. Players can see the time of the race and the distances between the runners at the finish. SF can be calculated from there if someone really wants to work them out.

Instead of complaining you should be grateful you got this perk for free for two years. If Sim membership didn't have any advantages nobody would pay for it and the game would cease to exist.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Robert Goldsmith wrote: 3 years ago And I think this is morally wrong to let free players not know about this disadvantage.
Hello Robert,
The Steward is mentioning all the things that would benefit you and save you time when playing the game here:
https://www.simhorseracing.com/premium.php
As you can see, speedfigures being a subscription timesaver is no secret. Your frustration comes from not being aware of using a programming loophole which was then taken away when it was discovered. I understand that.
I hope you may come to enjoy the game again, either by finding a way to play without the speed figures or if possible, being able to support the game via a premium subscription.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Speed figures came into the game 12 years ago. Past performances which unbeknownst to the powers that be allowed players without simperior to see them came into being 5 years ago. So for 7 real life years "free" players could not see speed figures and managed. I know that was the case when I started and I never felt it put me at some major disadvantage to other players or took away from my enjoyment of the game. Speed figures weren't even a major reason I finally decided to make the simperior plunge for me the biggest selling point was all the organizational tools to make entering easier.

At the end of the day this game costs money to run. These days we have the beauty of near instantaneous results. That was not always the case it used to take hours for things to post and things like big auctions could crash the server. Things run so smoothly now in part because a lot of money was invested into good servers. This is something everyone benefits from whether or not they pay real money into the game. Though that money needs to come from somewhere and thus there are extra features like simperior that are only available if you get game points. If everything should be free to everyone so free players can be on a level playing field where is that money supposed to come from?

Also now that the exchange exists you no longer even need to spend money to take part in game point features. The last time I used real money to get game points was May of 2016 but I have simperior, custom barns, I equipment check all my horses, etc.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Robert, its game point and a half day ,week 1 next season,even better value for you buy some.

Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Don’t be a duck about it
;p
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

The exchange exists in part so that people without cash can get game points. All you need is provided and you have paths to get the extras if you want them.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I played without simperior for years, SFs aren't that important to see as long as you pay attention to the race time. Honestly the big selling point for simperior for me was the stable charts, it's not an advantage, it's a convenience. With the exchange it's possible to play for free and still have GP exclusive tools. I've been playing for over 10 real life years, due to my real life financial situation I can't afford to spend real money on something that isn't an essential expense, yet I've had simperior for years, do equipment checks on my Stakes and freak horses, use GP sires, buy headshots, ect... because I can get GPs on the exchange from the amazing players who buy GPs and are willing to sell them for sim cash

Everything a player needs is free, you can find most of the stats on the stud book by using search tools and a calculator, new studs most of the time players will post nicks on their stallions and yearling gallop threads usually players will list sires for their stakes/freaks, speed figures you may not know the exact figure but can know what race times are above average, average or below average. You can use a notebook or excel to make a stable chart yourself so you know which horse is what division, breeding, gallop, when they raced/worked, BA ratings, ect...
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Jack Christensen
Derby Contender

Post by Jack Christensen »

Robert Goldsmith wrote: 3 years ago I just think that it is unfair for new players joining the game for free to think that they are playing on a level playing field. I joined in 2018 and have always been able to see the Speed Rating of all the horses entered into the race that I was entered into. When it was taken away the Steward said that as a free player I was never supposed to see them. And I think this is morally wrong to let free players not know about this disadvantage. It should be taken away from all players or given to all players for free. Speed rating is a number assigned to each horse after a race to show how well performed.
I understand why you are angry. But the idea of it being morally wrong just seems like you are complaining. Make your decision. In a game with things you can pay for to improve your experience, you can't complain that it's unfair that someone who spends money gets certain perks that you don't when you play for free. I would argue it is much more unfair if you get the same benefits as someone who pays. Buy those perks if you want them. If you play for free, that's your decision. But don't "warn" other new players.
Calia Mendez
Miler

Post by Calia Mendez »

If this sort of thing (and Stewardbreds) is what passes for drama around here, I'm honestly very pleased.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Calia Mendez wrote: 3 years ago If this sort of thing (and Stewardbreds) is what passes for drama around here, I'm honestly very pleased.
This made me giggle, thanks. We're a pretty pleasant lot, I swear.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Calia Mendez wrote: 3 years ago If this sort of thing (and Stewardbreds) is what passes for drama around here, I'm honestly very pleased.
Some people like to make the steward cry
;p
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder