Scaring off new players?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Maria Schreuder
Derby Contender

Scaring off new players?

Post by Maria Schreuder »

As a new player myself, I was saddened by how quickly the post about helping/not helping/how much help degenerated and had to be closed by the Steward. Had I seen that on arrival, chances are I wouldn't have given the game a second glance. I felt much the same when reading the long debate about bullying that went on recently.

I'm aware the Steward is working on these issues, but the whole community might spare a thought for how appealing the game is going to look to someone stumbling upon it who might have been a money spender and helped keep the sim going.

Luckily, I've already become 100% hooked on the amazing gameplay and there have also been lots of players - even some who don't always manage to stay out of trouble - reaching out to me, offering a lot of help and kindness which I greatly appreciate.

I was rather apprehensive about posting this, as I don't want to start more drama of any sort, but I had to get it off my chest.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Re: Scaring off new players?

Post by Jack Meyer »

From what I saw, it looks as if the issue was dealt with pretty quickly....The topic was a good topic, it seems it got out of hand. I honestly didn't even see what happened just that measures were taken to ensure it was resolved.

Jack
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Maria Schreuder wrote: 3 years ago As a new player myself, I was saddened by how quickly the post about helping/not helping/how much help degenerated and had to be closed by the Steward. Had I seen that on arrival, chances are I wouldn't have given the game a second glance. I felt much the same when reading the long debate about bullying that went on recently.

I'm aware the Steward is working on these issues, but the whole community might spare a thought for how appealing the game is going to look to someone stumbling upon it who might have been a money spender and helped keep the sim going.

Luckily, I've already become 100% hooked on the amazing gameplay and there have also been lots of players - even some who don't always manage to stay out of trouble - reaching out to me, offering a lot of help and kindness which I greatly appreciate.

I was rather apprehensive about posting this, as I don't want to start more drama of any sort, but I had to get it off my chest.
I understand your thoughts, but the reason things get locked is to prevent further issues from happening.

In this case the steward did not lock the thread, I did as I am also a forum moderator and help out from time to time when the Steward is unable to monitor. My lock of the thread was basically freeze any further negativity on the thread to allow the steward time to review and make any potential decisions on everyone's conduct.

The forums are meant to be a place for all of the community to interact with each other. It is not a place to throw around offensive or derogatory terms around freely or make distasteful references regardless if you were only joking.

We are living in a very different world now and there are many things that offend many different people. We all need to do a better job of thinking about what you just typed before pressing submit.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Maria Schreuder
Derby Contender

Post by Maria Schreuder »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago
Maria Schreuder wrote: 3 years ago As a new player myself, I was saddened by how quickly the post about helping/not helping/how much help degenerated and had to be closed by the Steward. Had I seen that on arrival, chances are I wouldn't have given the game a second glance. I felt much the same when reading the long debate about bullying that went on recently.

I understand your thoughts, but the reason things get locked is to prevent further issues from happening.

In this case the steward did not lock the thread, I did as I am also a forum moderator and help out from time to time when the Steward is unable to monitor. My lock of the thread was basically freeze any further negativity on the thread to allow the steward time to review and make any potential decisions on everyone's conduct.

The forums are meant to be a place for all of the community to interact with each other. It is not a place to throw around offensive or derogatory terms around freely or make distasteful references regardless if you were only joking.

We are living in a very different world now and there are many things that offend many different people. We all need to do a better job of thinking about what you just typed before pressing submit.
Thanks for the quick action and reply here Pete, appreciate your work.
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

Post by Greg Czechowicz »

As a new player i didnt find anything offensive? Did i miss something?
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Greg Czechowicz wrote: 3 years ago As a new player i didnt find anything offensive? Did i miss something?
You probably missed it. The issue that got the thread locked was dealt with pretty quickly.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

NEW PLAYERS WELCOME

Post by Art K Stables »

I hope everyone is enjoying the upcoming weekend followed by the racing! One thing noticeable is that fact that because the gallops/festivus happen 3 days sooner than it used to be it seems like a looong time before races start again.. But, I sure prefer the way things are now even if it means some people have too much time on their hands!