Looking for Horses

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Savina Lazaki
Sprinter

Looking for Horses

Post by Savina Lazaki »

Hello Everyone! First time posting but I've done quite a bit of lurking. I'm really enjoying the game, but I've noticed that it seems to be slim pickins as far as horses for purchase out there. I've done some claiming and a little from barn dispersal auctions and the sales pages, but I wonder if most of the action goes down here in the forums?

Does anyone have any sprinting dirt yearlings they'd be willing to sell me? It looks like the year is almost over and I only have 3 ready to turn 2 at the moment. As far as I can tell I'm probably looking for productive gallopers or better, based on the output of what I already have. Really I'd be open to any effective horses, but I want to stick with the sprinting dirt types. I saw somewhere it helps to focus on one thing to start.

Also a question, and I suppose there's probably not, but is there a way around the 5000 fee to get rid of a horse? I have a decent handful I'm already over but can't really afford to send them on. Sure I like to imagine I learned something from them, but is the only solution really to let them hang around until they're older? I guess its not too bad, I retired them so they're at least "out of the way."
Savina Lazaki
Sprinter

Re: Looking for Horses

Post by Savina Lazaki »

Ope, I suppose I should mention I mean thoroughbred.
David Howard
Miler

Post by David Howard »

Savina Lazaki wrote: 2 years ago Hello Everyone! First time posting but I've done quite a bit of lurking. I'm really enjoying the game, but I've noticed that it seems to be slim pickins as far as horses for purchase out there. I've done some claiming and a little from barn dispersal auctions and the sales pages, but I wonder if most of the action goes down here in the forums?

Does anyone have any sprinting dirt yearlings they'd be willing to sell me? It looks like the year is almost over and I only have 3 ready to turn 2 at the moment. As far as I can tell I'm probably looking for productive gallopers or better, based on the output of what I already have. Really I'd be open to any effective horses, but I want to stick with the sprinting dirt types. I saw somewhere it helps to focus on one thing to start.

Also a question, and I suppose there's probably not, but is there a way around the 5000 fee to get rid of a horse? I have a decent handful I'm already over but can't really afford to send them on. Sure I like to imagine I learned something from them, but is the only solution really to let them hang around until they're older? I guess its not too bad, I retired them so they're at least "out of the way."

Hi Savina and welcome!
The main options for buying horses are from the sales page, from auctions and from claimers. As a new player, on the sales page you have the benefit of being able to use the recommended filter which should provide you with at least productive horses. You can then also use the yearling filter and look for those with TB as the breed. If you then open up the dams of the yearlings that you like, this should give you an indication of whether they want dirt, turf or all weather and also the distance they are likely to perform best at.
I'm fairly new myself and only have about 16 yearlings so sorry I haven't got any to spare, but hopefully others can help.
Rochelle Zahacy runs a pensioner program for those horses that don't quite make the grade but are under the age of 5. You basically retire and pension them and send them to one of her yards. You can find out all the details here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47892#p408711. This avoids the 5K charge and only costs the travel to the yard.
Turf Mile stud:
Devonshire Lad
- $30,000

Turf Route studs:
Daddy Green
- $10,000
Mauriously - $10,000
Dunk and Egg - $10,000
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Suggest looking for older horses that might be slightly past their best rather than yearlings since there are barely any 2yo races at Trial Park for new players. Plus you don't have to try to figure out equipment, just double check it after its first race.
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Savina Lazaki
Sprinter

Post by Savina Lazaki »

Thank you for the advices! I shall look into these things.