Farm board

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Farm board

Post by Mark Mclaughlin »

Looking at the farms I noticed most are $20. There are some that are considerably higher. $200 & $100 are interspersed. These more expensive board rates don't offer anything better than the $20 ones that I can see. What am I missing? TYIA?
Greg Czechowicz
Miler

Re: Farm board

Post by Greg Czechowicz »

its just the owners of these farms are tying to make more $$, thats all. Same ammenties
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Or trying to avoid having others horses at their stables ^^''
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I see it more often when their aren’t other farms close by and you’re kinda “forced” to use their farm
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Thanks, folks. I can see the higher price for farms that are close to tracks where there are no others but $180 more is pretty steep. Seems that would lend itself to Sara Julin's point if there is a limit to the amount of horses that can occupy a farm. With no limit why not keep it affordable and make the extra cash? Are all farms player owned or are some sim owned? If some are sim owned has the Steward placed at least one near each track? TYIA.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Keep in mind you would need 10 horses at $20 board to make as much as 1 horse at $20 board. You need a fair amount of horses for your farm to be profitable at $20 board some of the less popular isolated tracks don't have the horse population to accomplish it and in the more popular areas you are competing with A LOT of other farms. A lot of players tend to play on autopilot when it comes to shipping horses to farms after races and sometimes don't even realize they are parking their horse at a $200 farm so you can still get at least some horses with that high board especially if you are the only game in town as others have mentioned, so those players are quite possibly making more money than if they had a cheaper board. I actually started my current farm because a new track opened that I used a lot but the closest farm was $200 board and I could NEVER remember to ship to the 2nd closest farm to avoid that.

As to your question about farm ownership the Steward only ones one farm, Trial By Summer, which is a $200 farm if down the line you get a stewardbred or game created horse you definitely want to get it out of there. You can see who owns all the farms as well as their board and location here: https://www.simhorseracing.com/locations.php

Another useful tool is the horse locations link under the my office menu which will show you where all your horses are currently located and what the board at that location is.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Also the ownership question brings up something I've always wondered about. What happens to a player's farm(s) when they leave the game?
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 2 years ago Also the ownership question brings up something I've always wondered about. What happens to a player's farm(s) when they leave the game?
they go on the sales page and get snatched up by first person that sees them like the old AJ horses and then get pinhooked for cash.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago
Tammy Stawicki wrote: 2 years ago Also the ownership question brings up something I've always wondered about. What happens to a player's farm(s) when they leave the game?
they go on the sales page and get snatched up by first person that sees them like the old AJ horses and then get pinhooked for cash.
Sales page makes sense. Though if they are being snatched up right away and pinhooked it would seem raising the price on them would be a great way to get some more money out of the game, and if it means they take longer to sell and thus the steward is collecting board for awhile, 2 birds one stone.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Thanks, Tammy, I was aware of those location maps but didn't check out every pin. I will in time, still somewhat green and there's soo much to learn. Is the number of boarded horses at a farm unlimited or capped?
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Unlimited
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Thanks, Nick.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I would like to remind new players and even established players who read this...
During the break, make sure you didn't forget and leave some horses at the tracks during break...tracks are usually a bit more than $20.00 for board. Tracks can cost $75 on up to $200 in boarding costs.

Check the retired horses first, if you retired some and plan on breeding them later - they can be overlooked for even a full season before you realize you left them at a track.

Then check your racers...it could be after the break you don't get back to that horse for a few weeks...so that's wasted money if the horse is sitting at a $150 track when it could be getting Full Rest at a nearby $20 farm.

I've been in the game since 2006, and I still sometimes forget to ship a horse off the track...but every break I do a review of my barns...even the pensioners and find out if my horses are all off of the tracks an at low cost barns.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago I would like to remind new players and even established players who read this...
During the break, make sure you didn't forget and leave some horses at the tracks during break...tracks are usually a bit more than $20.00 for board. Tracks can cost $75 on up to $200 in boarding costs.

Check the retired horses first, if you retired some and plan on breeding them later - they can be overlooked for even a full season before you realize you left them at a track.

Then check your racers...it could be after the break you don't get back to that horse for a few weeks...so that's wasted money if the horse is sitting at a $150 track when it could be getting Full Rest at a nearby $20 farm.

I've been in the game since 2006, and I still sometimes forget to ship a horse off the track...but every break I do a review of my barns...even the pensioners and find out if my horses are all off of the tracks an at low cost barns.

Stormy
The easiest way to check is just go to the horse location link: https://www.simhorseracing.com/myoffice ... ations.php you can sort by board cost so any above $20 will automatically filter to the top or bottom. Also pretty obvious if any horses are at tracks as they won't have amenities. I try to remember to check in a couple times a year there to make sure I don't accidentally have someone at an expensive farm (admittedly forgetting someone at a racetrack is hard to check during the year as they might supposed to be there)
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Quick check during the year: Just before board goes out each week I go to my racing barn and click horses not entered and then have a quick search through their locations.
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)